معلومة

Reno DD-303 - التاريخ


رينو DD-303

رينو (DD-303: dp. 1308 ؛ 1. 314'4 "؛ b. 30'11" ، dr. 9'10 "، s. 33 kcpl. 122 ؛ a. 4 4" ، 1 3 "، 12 21 "tt .؛ cl. Clemson) تم وضع أول سيارة Reno من قبل شركة Bethlehem لبناء السفن ، سان فرانسيسكو ، كاليفورنيا ، 4 يوليو 1918 ، وتم إطلاقها في 22 يناير 1919 ؛ برعاية الآنسة كاثرين بالدوين أندرسون ؛ في 23 يوليو 1920. بعد أن انضمت إلى أسطول المحيط الهادئ ، عملت رينو على طول الساحل الغربي حتى يناير 1921 عندما انضمت إلى وحدات الأسطول الأخرى في رحلة بحرية إلى فالبارايسو ، تشيلي. استأنفت عمليات الساحل الغربي عند عودتها ، وتراوحت بين واشنطن وكاليفورنيا السفلى ، مع جولات من حين لآخر إلى هاواي أو منطقة القناة. كولومبيا البريطانية ، للمشاركة في احتفالات اليوبيل الماسي الكندي. خرجت من الخدمة في سان دييغو في 18 يناير 1930 ، وشُطبت رينو من قائمة البحرية في 8 يوليو 1930. تم شطبها في عام 1931 ، في آسيورداني بشروط معاهدة لندن التي تقيد البحرية. التسلح.


يو إس إس رينو (CL 96)

كانت USS RENO واحدة من طرادات OAKLAND الخفيفة وثاني سفينة في البحرية تحمل الاسم. ومع ذلك ، تم تسمية أول RENO (DD 303) تكريما لـ Walter E. Reno ، بينما تم تسمية CL 96 تكريما للمدينة في ولاية نيفادا. خرجت من الخدمة في بريميرتون ، واشنطن ، في نوفمبر 1946 ، وأعيد تصنيف RENO إلى CLAA 96 في مارس 1949 لكنها ظلت في أسطول احتياطي المحيط الهادئ حتى ضُربت من قائمة البحرية في مارس 1959. تم بيعها للتخريد في مارس 1962.

الخصائص العامة: منحت: 1940
وضع كيل: 1 أغسطس 1941
تم الإطلاق: 23 ديسمبر 1942
بتكليف: 28 ديسمبر 1943
خرجت من الخدمة: 4 نوفمبر 1946
باني: شركة بيت لحم للصلب ، سان فرانسيسكو ، كاليفورنيا.
نظام الدفع: توربينات موجهة ، 75000 شب
المراوح: اثنان
الطول: 541.7 قدم (165.1 متر)
الشعاع: 53.15 قدمًا (16.2 مترًا)
مشروع: 20.7 قدم (6.3 متر)
النزوح: تقريبا. ٨٣٤٠ طنا محملة بالكامل
السرعة: 32.5 عقدة
الطائرات: لا يوجد
التسلح: اثني عشر مدفعًا من عيار 12.7 سم 5 بوصات / 38 في ستة مدافع مزدوجة ، وبنادق 16 × 40 مم ، وبنادق 16 × 20 مم ، وثمانية أنابيب طوربيد
الطاقم: 63 ضابطا و 785 مجند

يحتوي هذا القسم على أسماء البحارة الذين خدموا على متن USS RENO. إنها ليست قائمة رسمية ولكنها تحتوي على أسماء البحارة الذين قدموا معلوماتهم.

تم وضع USS RENO من قبل شركة Bethlehem Steel Co. ، سان فرانسيسكو ، كاليفورنيا ، 1 أغسطس 1941 ، تم إطلاقها في 23 ديسمبر 1942 برعاية السيدة August C.

بعد الابتعاد عن سان دييغو ، غادر رينو سان فرانسيسكو ، 14 أبريل 1944 ، للانضمام إلى الأسطول الخامس. كوحدة نشطة في فرقة العمل 58 التابعة لنائب الأدميرال مارك أي ميتشر ، كانت أول مرة على اتصال بالعدو من خلال دعم الضربات الجوية ضد جزيرة ماركوس في 19-20 مايو. بعد ثلاثة أيام ، دعمت أيضًا الضربات على جزيرة ويك.

خلال شهري يونيو ويوليو ، انضم RENO إلى شركات النقل السريع في هجمات مفاجئة ضد Saipan ، 11 يونيو ، جزيرة باغان ، 12-13 يونيو ، وضد جزر البركان وبونين - Iwo Jima ، Haha Jima ، و Chichi Jima - في 15 - 16 يونيو. بعد ثلاثة أيام ، ساعدت في صد محاولة قوة حاملة يابانية واسعة النطاق لهزيمة غزو الحلفاء لسايبان في معركة بحر الفلبين.

من 20 يونيو إلى 8 يوليو ، انضم RENO في العمليات التي تغطي الاستيلاء على سايبان ، ثم غطت عمليات الإنزال في غوام في الفترة من 17 إلى 24 يوليو وبعد يومين ، وشارك في الضربات ضد جزر بالاو من 26 إلى 29. بالتأرجح شمالًا مرة أخرى ، تم توجيه ضربة أخيرة لجزر بونين في 4-5 أغسطس وفي 7 سبتمبر عادت مجموعة العمل إلى بالاوس.

استمرارًا للغرب ، شاركت RENO في غارات ضد مينداناو وجزر الفلبين المجاورة 9-13 سبتمبر ، ودعمت غزو بالاو 15-20 سبتمبر ، وفي يومي 21 و 22 ، دعمت الضربات ضد مانيلا والمناطق المجاورة. ضرب Nansei Shoto في 8 أكتوبر ، RENO ، مع TF 38 ، اقترب من الجزر الرئيسية في اليابان أكثر من أي وحدة رئيسية أخرى في الأسطول الأمريكي.

خلال الضربة التي استمرت 3 أيام على فورموزا من 12 إلى 14 أكتوبر ، أسقطت رينو ست طائرات معادية. في ذروة المعركة ، تحطمت طائرة طوربيد وانفجرت على ظهر سطح السفينة الرئيسي في RENO. على الرغم من أن البرج السادس كان عاجزًا جزئيًا بسبب الانفجار ، نجح قائد البرج في الحفاظ على نيرانه ضد الطائرات والسفن المهاجمة.

في 24 أكتوبر ، بعد 4 أيام من غزو ليتي الأولي ، أثناء دعم الضربات الجوية ضد منطقة لوزون ، تعرضت قوة العمل 38 لهجوم جوي واسع النطاق من قبل الطائرات البرية من حقل كلارك. تم ضرب حاملة الطائرات الخفيفة PRINCETON (CVL 23) وأجبرت على الانسحاب من مجموعة العمل. رينو ، المكلفة بالمساعدة في مكافحة حرائقها وإنقاذها ، جاءت بجانبها خمس مرات لكنها لم تستطع البقاء بسبب الحرارة الشديدة والدخان. بينما قامت RENO بإجلاء الرجال الجرحى وحاولت السيطرة على الحرائق ، سحق سطح الطائرة المدرجة في PRINCETON أحد حوامل Reno مقاس 40 مم. استمرت جهود إنقاذ حاملة الطائرات ، ولكن بعد انفجار منطقة تخزين رأس حربي لطوربيد برينستون ، أُمر رينو بإغراقها. في 25 أكتوبر ، بعد أن انضم إلى فرقة العمل ، شرع RENO شمالًا لإشراك فرقة العمل اليابانية الشمالية التي أغلقت معركة كيب إنغاو - المشاركة الأخيرة في معركة ليتي الخليج.

في ليلة 3 نوفمبر ، قبالة مضيق سان برناردينو ، تعرضت رينو لنسف في جانب الميناء بواسطة الغواصة اليابانية I-41. قطعت 1500 ميل إلى Ulithi لإجراء إصلاحات مؤقتة ، ثم تبخرت تحت قوتها الخاصة إلى تشارلستون حيث دخلت Navy Yard 22 March للإصلاحات. ظهرت بعد 7 أشهر ، عادت إلى تكساس ، ثم عادت إلى تشارلستون لإضافة مساحات بطابقين. عملت كمراسلة لواجب "ماجيك كاربت" وقامت بجولتين إلى لوهافر ، فرنسا ، وعادت مع قوات الجيش.

في أوائل عام 1946 ، استقلت رينو على البخار إلى بورت أنجيليس ، واشنطن ، حيث توقفت عن العمل ، في 4 نوفمبر 1946 ودخلت أسطول احتياطي المحيط الهادئ ، الذي رست في بريميرتون. أعيد تصنيف CLAA 96 ، 18 مارس 1949 ، بقيت في بريميرتون حتى تم شطب اسمها من قائمة البحرية في 1 مارس 1959 وتم بيع هيكلها ، في 22 مارس 1962 ، لشركة Coal Export Co. ، نيويورك.


Reno DD-303 - التاريخ

يو إس إس رينو ، مدمرة من طراز كليمسون تزن 1190 طنًا تم بناؤها في سان فرانسيسكو ، كاليفورنيا ، تم تكليفها في يوليو 1920. قضت معظم حياتها المهنية تعمل على طول ساحل المحيط الهادئ بالولايات المتحدة ، حيث كانت تقوم برحلات بحرية من حين لآخر مثل تشيلي وهاواي وفي منطقة البحر الكاريبي وغرب المحيط الأطلسي للمشاركة في مناورات الأسطول الأمريكي. بعد أقل من عقد من الخدمة النشطة ، تم الاستغناء عن رينو في يناير 1930. تم إلغاؤها في عام 1931.

تم تسمية يو إس إس رينو تكريما للملازم القائد والتر إي رينو (1881-1917) ، الذي فقد حياته أثناء قيادة يو إس إس تشونسي (المدمرة رقم 3) في نوفمبر 1917.

تعرض هذه الصفحة ، أو توفر روابط ، جميع المشاهدات التي لدينا ذات الصلة بـ USS Reno (DD-303).

إذا كنت تريد نسخًا بدقة أعلى من الصور الرقمية المعروضة هنا ، فراجع: & quot كيفية الحصول على نسخ من الصور الفوتوغرافية. & quot

انقر على الصورة الصغيرة للحصول على عرض أكبر للصورة نفسها.

رسى في ميناء سان دييغو ، كاليفورنيا ، حوالي عام 1920.
صورت من قبل استوديو بيير ، سان دييغو.

بإذن من ESKC Joseph L. Aguillard ، USNR ، 1969.

صورة المركز التاريخي للبحرية الأمريكية.

الصورة على الإنترنت: 73 كيلو بايت 740 × 610 بكسل

في سان دييغو ، كاليفورنيا ، حوالي عام 1920.
صورت من قبل استوديو بيير ، سان دييغو.

بإذن من ESKC Joseph L. Aguillard ، USNR ، 1969.

صورة المركز التاريخي للبحرية الأمريكية.

الصورة على الإنترنت: 75 كيلوبايت ، 740 × 510 بكسل

في المرساة ، خلال أوائل عشرينيات القرن الماضي.

صورة المركز التاريخي للبحرية الأمريكية.

الصورة على الإنترنت: 84 كيلو بايت 740 × 610 بكسل

صورت حوالي عام 1923-1930.

الصورة الرسمية للبحرية الأمريكية ، الآن في مجموعات الأرشيف الوطني.

صورة على الإنترنت: 57 كيلوبايت ، 740 × 600 بكسل

قد تكون نسخ هذه الصورة متاحة أيضًا من خلال نظام الاستنساخ الفوتوغرافي للأرشيف الوطني.

جاري العمل في بوجيت ساوند ، واشنطن ، بينما كان في طريقه إلى بوجيه ساوند نافي يارد ، يوليو 1927.
تصوير مارتن.

صورة رسمية للبحرية الأمريكية ، من مجموعات المركز البحري التاريخي.

الصورة على الإنترنت: 85 كيلو بايت 740 × 610 بكسل

جارية خلال عشرينيات القرن الماضي.

تبرع الملازم جوستاف فريريت ، USN (متقاعد) ، 1972.

صورة المركز التاريخي للبحرية الأمريكية.

الصورة على الإنترنت: 44 كيلو بايت 740 × 300 بكسل

صنع الدخان أثناء التدريبات ، حوالي 1923-1930.
يبدو أن السفينة البعيدة هي USS Thompson (DD-305).

بإذن من دونالد إم ماكفرسون ، 1969.

صورة المركز التاريخي للبحرية الأمريكية.

الصورة على الإنترنت: 61 كيلوبايت ، 740 × 475 بكسل

صورت حوالي عام 1923-1930.

صورة المركز التاريخي للبحرية الأمريكية.

الصورة على الإنترنت: 73 كيلو بايت 740 × 515 بكسل

جردت وتنتظر القشط ، في ألاميدا ، كاليفورنيا ، 22 مارس 1931.
لاحظ قاعها الكريهة. تم قطع واقيات المروحة ودعامات عمود المروحة.

بإذن من دونالد إم ماكفرسون ، 1970.

صورة المركز التاريخي للبحرية الأمريكية.

الصورة على الإنترنت: 57 كيلوبايت ، 740 × 490 بكسل

تُظهر الصورة التالية سفينة قد تكون USS Reno (DD-303):

مدمرة تضع حاجبًا من الدخان ، حوالي عام 1921

هذه السفينة هي إما USS Stoddert (DD-302) أو USS Reno (DD-303).

بإذن من دونالد إم ماكفرسون ، 1977.

صورة المركز التاريخي للبحرية الأمريكية.

الصورة على الإنترنت: 83 كيلو بايت 740 × 450 بكسل

بالإضافة إلى الصور المعروضة أعلاه ، يبدو أن الأرشيف الوطني يحتوي على عرض آخر على الأقل لـ USS Reno (DD-303). القائمة التالية تحتوي على هذه الصورة:

الصورة المدرجة أدناه ليست في مجموعات المركز التاريخي البحري.
لا تحاول الحصول عليها باستخدام الإجراءات الموضحة في صفحتنا & quot؛ كيفية الحصول على نسخ فوتوغرافية & quot.

يجب أن تتوفر نسخ من هذه الصورة من خلال نظام النسخ الفوتوغرافي للأرشيف الوطني للصور التي لا يحتفظ بها المركز التاريخي البحري.


Reno DD-303 - التاريخ

تحتوي هذه الصفحة على عروض إضافية متعلقة بـ USS Reno (DD-303).

إذا كنت تريد نسخًا بدقة أعلى من الصور الرقمية المعروضة هنا ، فراجع: & quot كيفية الحصول على نسخ من الصور الفوتوغرافية. & quot

انقر على الصورة الصغيرة للحصول على عرض أكبر للصورة نفسها.

حذر! تُرى USS Reno (DD-303) عن بُعد ، و / أو جزئيًا ، و / أو في الخلفية في العديد من الصور المعروضة أدناه. افحص الصور بعناية واقرأ التعليقات بعناية قبل تحديد عروض لتمثيلها.

فرقة المدمرات الثالثة والثلاثون

رست معًا قبالة سان دييغو ، كاليفورنيا ، في 16 أبريل 1921.
صورت من قبل استوديو بيير ، سان دييغو.
هذه السفن هي (من اليسار إلى اليمين):
USS Stoddert (DD-302)
يو إس إس بول هاميلتون (DD-307)
USS Reno (DD-303)
يو إس إس كينيدي (DD-306)
يو إس إس طومسون (DD-305) و
يو إس إس فاركوهار (DD-304)

بإذن من ESKC Joseph L. Aguillard ، USNR ، 1969.

صورة المركز التاريخي للبحرية الأمريكية.

الصورة على الإنترنت: 75 كيلوبايت ، 740 × 480 بكسل

فرقة المدمرات الثالثة والثلاثون

رست قبالة سان دييغو ، كاليفورنيا.
ربما تم تصويره بواسطة Pier Studio ، سان دييغو ، في 16 أبريل 1921.
هذه السفن هي (من اليسار إلى اليمين):
USS Stoddert (DD-302)
يو إس إس بول هاميلتون (DD-307)
USS Reno (DD-303)
يو إس إس كينيدي (DD-306)
يو إس إس طومسون (DD-305) و
يو إس إس فاركوهار (DD-304)

صورة المركز التاريخي للبحرية الأمريكية.

صورة على الإنترنت: 75 كيلوبايت ، 740 × 600 بكسل

USS Kanawha (AO-1) مع ثلاثة عشر مدمرة بجانب سان دييغو ، كاليفورنيا ، خلال أوائل عشرينيات القرن الماضي.
تصوير بونيل ، 414 شارع إي ، سان دييغو.
السفن الموجودة مُحددة في الصورة رقم NH 98029 (شرح كامل).
مجموعة من جون هارولد رئيس الإمداد والتموين ، USN.

صورة المركز التاريخي للبحرية الأمريكية.

الصورة على الإنترنت: 86 كيلو بايت 740 × 465 بكسل

مع اثنتي عشرة مدمرة كانت مقيدة جنبًا إلى جنب ، خلال أوائل عشرينيات القرن الماضي. تشمل السفن الموجودة (من اليسار إلى اليمين):
يو إس إس جاكوب جونز (DD-130)
USS هال (DD-330)
USS Thompson (DD-305)
USS Corry (DD-334)
يو إس إس كينيدي (DD-306)
USS Reno (DD-303)
يو إس إس كوياما (AO-3
USS Stoddert (DD-302)
يو إس إس ياربورو (DD-314)
يو إس إس سلوت (DD-316)
يو إس إس ليتشفيلد (DD-336)
USS Shubrick (DD-268)
USS Young (DD-312)

بإذن من السيدة سي آر ديسبين ، 1973. من سجلات القصاصات لفريد إم بتلر.

صورة المركز التاريخي للبحرية الأمريكية.

الصورة على الإنترنت: 70 كيلوبايت ، 740 × 490 بكسل

& quot؛ أساطيل الأطلسي والهادئ المشتركة في خليج بنما ، 21 يناير 1921 & quot

القسم الأيسر (من ثلاثة) من صورة بانورامية التقطها م. مايبيري ، من مايبيري وسميث ، شريفبورت ، لويزيانا. وجهات النظر الأخرى في السلسلة هي Photo #s: NH 86082-B و NH 86082-C.
من بين السفن الموجودة في هذه الصورة (من اليسار إلى اليمين): USS Paul Hamilton (DD-307) ، USS Farquhar (DD-304) ، USS Simpson (DD-221) ، USS Thompson (DD-305) ، USS Parrott (DD-218) و USS Reno (DD-303) و USS Dorsey (DD-117) و USS Dent (DD-116) و USS Waters (DD-115).
المدمرات التشيلية في منتصف المسافة.

بإذن من المؤسسة البحرية التاريخية ، مجموعة دي إتش كريسويل.

صورة المركز التاريخي للبحرية الأمريكية.

الصورة على الإنترنت: 47 كيلو بايت 740 × 340 بكسل

في ميناء سان دييغو ، كاليفورنيا ، حوالي أوائل عشرينيات القرن الماضي.
يو إس إس رينو (DD-303) في المسافة اليمنى ، وقوس يو إس إس بول هاميلتون (DD-307) مرئي على اليسار.
ربما صورت من قبل استوديو بيير ، سان دييغو.

بإذن من ESKC Joseph L. Aguillard ، USNR ، 1969.

صورة المركز التاريخي للبحرية الأمريكية.

الصورة على الإنترنت: 70 كيلو بايت 740 × 550 بكسل

بوجيه ساوند نافي يارد ، بريميرتون ، واشنطن

المدمرات والسفن الأخرى في نيفي يارد 11 يناير 1922.
تشمل السفن التي يمكن التعرف عليها (من الأمام إلى الخلف):
USS McLanahan (DD-264)
USS Thompson (DD-305)
USS Reno (DD-303)
يو إس إس كينيدي (DD-306)
يو إس إس نيويورك (BB-34) و
يو إس إس تكساس (BB-35.

صورة المركز التاريخي للبحرية الأمريكية.

الصورة على الإنترنت: 104 كيلو بايت 740 × 595 بكسل

في حوض جاف في نيويورك نافي يارد ، بروكلين ، نيويورك ، حوالي أكتوبر - نوفمبر 1923.
يظهر قوس يو إس إس رينو (DD-303) على اليمين.
لاحظ رفوف الشحن ووحدات حماية المروحة في Litchfield.

بإذن من ESKC Joseph L. Aguillard ، USNR ، 1969.

صورة المركز التاريخي للبحرية الأمريكية.

الصورة على الإنترنت: 89 كيلوبايت ، 740 × 455 بكسل

قبالة هونولولو ، أواهو ، هاواي ، في منتصف عشرينيات القرن الماضي.
تشمل المدمرات الموجودة:
يو إس إس فاركوهار (DD-304) ، إلى اليسار
USS Reno (DD-303) ، الوسط
يو إس إس ويليام جونز (DD-308) ، الوسط الأيمن
و USS هال (DD-330).
تصوير استوديو الشورى بهونولولو.

بإذن من تشارلز ساس ، 1979.

صورة المركز التاريخي للبحرية الأمريكية.

الصورة على الإنترنت: 61 كيلوبايت ، 740 × 450 بكسل

جزيرة كوليبرا ، بورتوريكو

مدمرات في مرسى في خليج كوليبرا خلال عشرينيات القرن الماضي.
تشمل السفن التي يمكن التعرف عليها ما يلي:
يو إس إس سومرز (DD-301) ، إلى اليمين
يو إس إس رينو (DD-303) ، إلى اليسار
USS Henshaw (DD-278) ، الوسط الأيسر
يو إس إس فلوسر (DD-289) ، وراء هينشو
يو إس إس سنكلير (DD-275) ، الوسط.

مجموعة الأميرال أرلي بورك ، USN.

صورة المركز التاريخي للبحرية الأمريكية.

الصورة على الإنترنت: 47 كيلوبايت ، 740 × 450 بكسل

USS Reno (DD-303) (يسار)
و
USS Farragut (DD-300) (يمين)

قبالة ساحل إحدى جزر هاواي ، حوالي عام 1925.

صورة من ألبوم صور ألبرت تشامبرلين ، تبرع به العقيد كارل ماهاكيان ، USMCR ، 1975.

صورة المركز التاريخي للبحرية الأمريكية.

الصورة على الإنترنت: 66 كيلوبايت ، 740 × 515 بكسل

منظر لـ Navy Liberty Dock في & quotFrisco & quot ، حوالي عام 1926.
القوارب الموجودة من USS Melville (AD-2) و USS Maryland (BB-46) و USS Reno (DD-303).
تصوير غوستاف فريريت.

تبرع الملازم جوستاف فريريت ، USN (متقاعد) ، 1972.

صورة المركز التاريخي للبحرية الأمريكية.

الصورة على الإنترنت: 98 كيلوبايت ، 740 × 460 بكسل

صورة أخرى ذات صلة: قوس يو إس إس رينو (DD-303) مرئي من بعيد في الصورة رقم NH 77259 ، منظر لموضوع آخر.


Reno DD-303 - التاريخ

USS Aroostook (CM-3) التاريخ

جزء بسيط من التاريخ: ". 02DEC30: الطائرة المائية Aroostook (CM-3) ، أداة مساعدة وسربان من أسطول المعركة تم الإبلاغ عن واجبهم إلى Command Base Force ، وبالتالي تزويد هذه القيادة بأول منظمة طيران لها." http: //www.history.navy.mil/branches/avchr4.htm [02JAN2001]

القليل من التاريخ : Aroostook (CM-3) ". USS AROOSTOOK (CM 3) تعتني بالطائرات في أواخر عشرينيات القرن العشرين. الصورة مأخوذة من الأرشيف الوطني." بمساهمة من Mahlon K. Miller & # 109 & # 107 & # 119 & # 115 & # 109 & # 105 & # 108 & # 108 & # 101 & # 114 & # 064 & # 099 & # 111 & # 120 & # 046 & # 110 & # 101 & # 116 [19MAR2001]

(Str: dp. 3،800 l. 395'0 "b. 52'2" dr. 16 '(mean) s. 20.0 k. cpl. 313 a. 1 5 "، 2 3"، 2 .30-cal. Colt ملغ. cl. Aroostook)

تم بناء Aroostook الثاني في الأصل باعتباره سفينة بخارية للركاب Bunker Hill بواسطة حوض بناء السفن William Cramp and Sons في فيلادلفيا. تم إطلاقها في 26 مارس 1907 وبرعاية الآنسة روز إليزابيث فيتزجيرالد ، ابنة عمدة بوسطن. تم فحص Bunker Hill من قبل البحرية في 2 نوفمبر 1917 لاحتمال استخدامها كسفينة بخارية لنقل الركاب والبضائع. استحوذت عليها البحرية من خطوط السفن البخارية الشرقية في بوسطن ، في 12 نوفمبر 1917 ، وتمت إعادة تسمية بونكي هيل باسم أروستوك في الأمر العام رقم 343 الصادر في 15 نوفمبر 1917 ، ومنح رقم التعريف (رقم المعرف) 1256. تم تكليفه في Boston Navy Yard في 7 ديسمبر 1917 ، Comdr. جيمس هـ. تومب في القيادة.

عندما تم تنظيم طاقم السفينة وتجميعهم ، سارت عملية تحويل السفينة إلى "آلة زرع الألغام" على قدم وساق. عند إزالة الهيكل العلوي الخشبي لسفينة الرحلات البحرية السابقة ، نظم الطاقم Comdr. قبر في "عصابات" صناعية من البرشام ، والسلفانات ، وعمال السفن ، والنجارين - كانت مبعثرة في المساحات المتاحة في محلات الفناء ، وتعيش في سفن أخرى ، وكل الأعمال على السفينة يتم إجراؤها على الرغم من الشتاء القارس. في النهاية ، تم نقل طاقمها إلى بارجة مستشفى قريبة حيث كانوا يعيشون حتى يمكن العثور على أماكن إقامة على متنها. في غضون ذلك ، استقر ضباط السفينة في البنية الفوقية التي أزيلت من السفينة.

أجرى أروستوك عملية ابتزاز قصيرة في خليج ماساتشوستس في الفترة من 6 إلى 10 يونيو ، ووصل إلى ميناء بوسطن في 10 يونيو 1918 لتحميل المناجم. انتقلت إلى المياه قبالة كيب كود في اليوم التالي ، أبحرت إلى اسكتلندا في 12 يونيو ، بصحبة شاوموت ، وزارع المنجم ساراناك (رقم المرجع 1702) ، وبلاك هوك (رقم المرجع 2140).

قبل إبحار هذه السفن ، نشأ قلق بشأن قدرات الوقود في Aroostook و Shawmut ، حيث كشفت تجربتهم المختصرة خارج Provincetown أنهم استهلكوا الوقود بمعدل أعلى مما كان متوقعًا. في مواجهة تأخير غير محدد ، الكابتن وات تي كلوفيريوس وكومدر. ابتكر روسكو بولمر خطة لإعادة تزويد السفن بالوقود في البحر من بلاك هوك. قاموا بشراء ما يكفي من خرطوم النفط للقيام بذلك ، وأبحرت السفن جميعًا وفقًا لذلك.

تم تنفيذ كلا التزود بالوقود في البحر - الأول الذي اعتبر "مشروعًا جديدًا" وتم تنفيذه على الرغم من العاصفة - بنجاح ، ووصلت السفن دون وقوع مزيد من الحوادث. وصلت أروستوك إلى وجهتها كرومارتي فيرث ، في 28 يونيو. قامت بالتعامل مع حقول الألغام في بحر الشمال ، ووصلت إلى هناك لتتولى مهامها كزارع للألغام ، في 16 يوليو ، ملحقة بسرب الألغام 1. بحلول 30 سبتمبر 1918 ، خلال ثلاثة أشهر من وجودها في المياه الأوروبية ، كانت أروستوك قد زرعت 2510 منجم بخار 4،666 ميلا خلال "رحلاتها" التعدين في بحر الشمال.

الهدنة التي أوقفت المدافع على الجبهة الغربية تعني وقف عمليات التعدين. أنجزت مهمتها ، أبحرت أروستوك من بورتلاند ، إنجلترا ، في 14 ديسمبر 1918 ، إلى الولايات المتحدة ، بصحبة شاوموت ، ووصلت إلى هامبتون رودز بعد يومين من عيد الميلاد. في اليوم التالي قامت بتفريغ حمولتها من الألغام إلى زوارق في نهر يورك. بقي أروستوك في منطقة هامبتون رودز حتى عام 1919 نقل مناجم خاطئة وأخذ مناجم تجريبية من زارع المناجم بالتيمور إلى مستودع الألغام في يوركتاون ، فيرجينيا.

وضعت Aroostook في Norfolk Navy Yard في 1 أبريل 1919 لإجراء تعديلات لتلائمها لتكون بمثابة السفينة الأساسية للقوارب الطائرة NC المخصصة لمحاولة رحلة عبر المحيط الأطلسي. تلقت خزانات تكفي 5000 جالون من البنزين ، وحمالات للتعامل مع زورقين طيارين صغيرين من نوع Curtiss MF ، وتعديلات على أماكن رسوها وعبثها لتمكينها من استيعاب الرجال اللازمين لخدمة الطائرات البحرية. جارية إلى نيويورك في 9 أبريل ، وصل أروستوك إلى نهر الشمال في صباح اليوم العاشر ، ليصعد على متن "مخازن طائرات" إضافية وإمدادات للرحلة القادمة. أبحرت إلى خليج تريباسي نيوفاوندلاند صباح يوم 27 أبريل 1919.

بعد رسو لفترة وجيزة قبالة ميكلون ، وضع أروستوك في خليج تريباسي في 2 مايو ، وانضمت بعد ذلك بوقت قصير من قبل السفن الأخرى المخصصة لدعم رحلة نورث كارولاينا. أكملت أروستوك مهمة رسو مراسي الطائرة المائية في 3 مايو ، وفي 5 و 6 مايو ، حاولت مساعدة الناقلة هيسكو (رقم الهوية 1953) - التي وصلت في 3 مايو - قبالة الشاطئ إذا كانت قد جنحت .

بدأ Aroostook في رعاية قوارب NC في 10 مايو ، مع وصول NC-1 و NC-3. وصل NC-4 بعد ظهر اليوم الخامس عشر ، ورسو في مؤخرة السفينة ، وهي آخر فرقة من NC تصل إلى الميناء قبل بدء الرحلة. في وقت متأخر من بعد ظهر اليوم التالي ، 16 مايو ، حشد طواقم القوارب الطائرة الكبيرة في الخلف على متن أروستوك ، حيث قائد الرحلة ، كومدر. جون إتش تاورز ، شكر النقيب تومب على كرم سفينته. رهان قبر بحسن لطيف على الأبراج أن سفينته ستصل إلى بليموث ، إنجلترا ، قبل وصول القوارب الطائرة.

بعد ذلك بوقت قصير ، قام الطاقم بتشغيل القوارب الطائرة الكبيرة الثلاثة وبدأوا تشغيل محركاتهم. NC-4 بقيادة الملازم كومدر. ألبرت سي ريد ، شرقًا من مؤخرة السفينة أروستوك وأقلع بعد ذلك بقليل بما يزيد قليلاً عن ساعة ، متابعًا أبراج NC-3 وقبل الملازم كومدير. P.N.L Bellinger's NC-1.

بعد التزود بالوقود من هيسكو ، استعاد أروستوك مراسي الطائرة المائية التي كانت قد استقرت بها قبل أسبوعين تقريبًا ووقفت خارج ميناء تريباسي في صباح يوم 17 مايو متجهة إلى بليموث. وصلت في 23 يوم ، في انتظار وصول قوارب flyi ng. في النهاية ، أكمل NC-4 فقط الرحلة NC-1 و NC-3 وتم إجبارهما على الهبوط في البحر وتم إنقاذ طواقمهما من خلال السفن المارة التي كانت تراقب أروستوك في 1420 يوم 31 مايو. هبط القارب الطائر بعد ثماني دقائق ، وركب طاقمها على متن أروستوك "للعيش والمعيشة" في الساعة 1500.

بعد تفكيك NC-4 ، أخذ Aroostook المحركات والبدن والأجنحة على متن الطائرة في أيام منفصلة ، واستكمل العملية بحلول 17 يونيو. في اليوم التالي ، أبحرت السفينة إلى جزر الأزور ، ووصلت إلى بونتا ديلادا في 23 يونيو. ثم واصلت رحلتها إلى الولايات المتحدة ، ووصلت إلى نيويورك في 2 يوليو 1919. بعد التزود بالوقود ، وتناول المياه والمؤن ، وخضوعها لإصلاحات الرحلة في بروكلين ، توجّهت السفينة إلى نيوبورت ، في 15 يوليو ، وبقيت هناك ، في انتظار الأوامر ، حتى 23 يوم.

وقف أروستوك خارج ميناء نيوبورت في 23 يوليو ، واتجه إلى طريق هامبتون رودز ، ووصل في اليوم التالي. ثم قامت بنقل مجموعة من الرجال إلى بورتسموث ، فيرجينيا ، في 31 يوليو ، وأخذت الإمدادات قبل الانتقال إلى بورتسموث لتحميل المناجم والمزيد من الإمدادات ، واستكمال التحميل بحلول 7 أغسطس. بعد فترة من الاستجمام والحرية لطاقمها ، أبحرت أروستوك إلى منطقة قناة كولون بنما ، في 12 أغسطس. وصلت إلى وجهتها في 18 أغسطس وعبرت قناة بنما في اليوم التالي.

بعد ذلك ، استقلت الوقود من سالينا كروز ، المكسيك ، في 26 ، ووصلت إلى سان دييغو في 1 سبتمبر. في 10 سبتمبر ، توجهت إلى Mare Island Navy Yard ، ووصلت في اليوم التالي لتفريغ الألغام التي تم إحضارها من هامبتون رودز. عادت إلى سان دييغو في 22 سبتمبر لإطلاق صنادل الطيران ومن 24 سبتمبر حتى الأسبوع الثاني من ديسمبر 1919 ، بقيت في سان دييغو في انتظار الطلبات وتخضع لإصلاحات الآلات.

مغادراً سان دييغو في 13 ديسمبر ، أروستوك على البخار إلى جزيرة ماري ، ووصل في اليوم التالي ، وهناك شرعت في سحب الرجال إلى سان دييغو. جارية في السابع عشر ، عادت إلى سان دييغو في الثامن عشر.

كانت Aroostook واحدة من سفينتين في مفرزة الألغام (الأخرى هي بالتيمور) التي رافقت الأسطول إلى المحيط الهادئ خلال 1919-1920 فور وصوله إلى المحيط الهادئ ، ومع ذلك ، تم تعيين Aroostook للخدمة المؤقتة كرائد في مفرزة جوية ، أسطول المحيط الهادئ.

من 18 ديسمبر 1919 إلى 16 فبراير 1920 ، عملت Aroostook خارج سان دييغو ، وعلى مدى الأشهر القليلة التالية رعت وحدات الطيران في سان دييغو وسانتا باربرا وسان بيدرو حتى 14 يونيو عندما انتقلت إلى سان دييغو لإجراء إصلاح شامل للآلات ، د من هناك إلى ساحة البحرية في جزيرة ماري. في بداية تلك الفترة من التوفر ، تلقت السفينة تسمية بدن أبجدية رقمية CM-3.

تم تعيينه لأسطول المحيط الهادئ كمناقصة للطائرات ، أروستوك - تحت قيادة النقيب هنري سي موستين ، أحد رواد الطيران البحري - أبحر إلى سوساليتو ، كاليفورنيا ، في 14 أغسطس 1920 ، ومن ثم إلى سان دييغو ، ووصل في 19. شاركت السفينة ذات الطائرات البحرية العشر في تدريبات تكتيكية مع الأسطول في المياه قبالة سواحل جنوب كاليفورنيا في خريف عام 1920 ، وبعد ذلك انتقلت إلى بالبوا ، منطقة القناة ، للقيام بمهمة أخرى في نفس السياق. واصلت أروستوك إلى خليج ماغدالينا بالمكسيك ، حيث واصلت عمليات دعمها هناك بأسراب طائرات الأسطول من 31 ديسمبر 1920 إلى 8 مارس 1921 ، وبعد ذلك عادت إلى قاعدتها في سان دييغو.

بعد النزول إلى جزيرة Guadalupe بالمكسيك ، اعتنى Aroostook بالطائرات هناك حتى عودته إلى سان دييغو في 30 مايو. عملت محليًا في المياه قبالة ساحل جنوب كاليفورنيا حتى يونيو 1922 ، وهي فترة من العمليات النشطة تتخللها أعمال الصيانة والإصلاحات في سان دييغو. عملت محليًا في المحطة الجوية البحرية (NAS) ، سان دييغو ، للفترة المتبقية من عام 1922 وحتى عام 1923. بعد فترة من الإصلاحات في جزيرة ماري أبحر أروستوك إلى سان دييغو في 28 نوفمبر 1923.

أبحر Aroostook إلى بنما بعد ذلك بوقت قصير ، بصحبة Jason (AV-2) ، ودعم عمليات الطيران في مناورات الأسطول الشتوية السنوية. بعد العمليات المحلية من سان دييغو في وقت لاحق من ذلك العام ، عادت إلى المياه البنمية ، حان الوقت إلى كوكو سولو ، على الجانب الأطلسي من القناة ، لتجميع الطائرات وتشغيلها والمشاركة في تدريبات الأسطول الشتوية. أيضًا خلال عام 1924 ، قامت السفينة برعاية سرب الكشافة (VS) 2 في ساند بوينت ، واشنطن ، خلال تمرين أساسي متقدم ، في الصيف ، وخضعت لإصلاحات وتعديلات في Mare Island Navy Yard حتى نوفمبر.

في 27 أبريل 1925 ، وصل أروستوك إلى مياه هاواي ، وعمل مع الأسطول من بيرل هاربور في تدريبات خلال الصيف ، في طرق لاهاينا وفي نويليويلي ، كاواي. تم اختيارها كواحدة من سفن حراسة الطائرات للرحلة من الساحل الغربي إلى هاواي للقوارب الطائرة البحرية PN-9 (PN-9 رقم 1 بقيادة القائد جون رودجرز و PN-9 رقم 3 ، بقيادة الملازم أول. AP Snody) ، أبحرت Aroostook إلى محطة "Vice" صباح يوم 29 أغسطس 1925. وصلت إلى محطتها في وقت متأخر من بعد ظهر يوم 30.

في وقت سابق من نفس اليوم ، أقلع رودجرز وسنودي إلى هاواي من خليج سان بابلو بكاليفورنيا. بعد أقل من خمس ساعات ، مع ذلك ، تسبب تسرب زيت في هبوط رقم PN-9 الخاص بشركة Snody. لم يكن كل شيء على ما يرام في مكان رودجرز ، حيث تجاوز القرص أن استهلاك البنزين على متن PN-9 رقم 1 كان أعلى بستة جالونات في الساعة مما تم الإشارة إليه في الرحلات التجريبية. قبل أن تحلق الطائرة مسافة 1200 ميل ، قرر رودجرز أنه سيضطر إلى الهبوط جنبًا إلى جنب مع أحد حراس الخطة الإلكترونية والتزود بالوقود. كان يعتقد أن لديه ما يكفي من البنزين للوصول إلى Aroostook في محطة "نائب".

أظهر نظام الملاحة الحسابية لرودجرز أنه على بعد أميال قليلة شمال مساره المتوقع ، لكن محامل بوصلة الراديو من Aroostook (خطأ ، كما اتضح فيما بعد) أشارت إلى أنه كان يطير إلى جنوب تلك السفينة. بافتراض أن العطاء لم يكن في محطتها المناسبة ، قام بتحويل PN-9 رقم 1 إلى الشمال للبحث عنها. أدى وجود عواصف مطر في المنطقة إلى زيادة حالة عدم اليقين لدى رودجرز ، ونفد بنزين الطائرة ، وقام القارب الطائر بهبوط اضطراري إلى 1615 في 1 سبتمبر ، بعد 25 ساعة و 23 دقيقة من إقلاعه من خليج سان بابلو.

أدى اختفاء القارب الطائر إلى عملية بحث مكثفة بقيادة القائد. دبليو آر فان أوكن ، قائد أروستوك. شاركت لانجلي (CV-1) أيضًا ، وأجرت طائراتها عمليات بحث يومية في المياه المجاورة ، بينما انضمت الغواصات وطائرات pa trol التي تحلق من جزر هاواي في الجهود للعثور على PN-9 رقم 1.

كانت أروستوك تجتاح السماء بأضواءها الكاشفة في الليل وتضع نقاط مراقبة إضافية في جميع الأوقات ، بحثت عن المنشورات المفقودة حتى 7 سبتمبر ، عندما دخلت لفترة وجيزة في بيرل هاربور لتزود بالوقود والماء. برزت في نفس اليوم لاستئناف البحث ، وانضمت إلى لانجلي والمدمرات رينو (DD-303) وفاراغوت (DD-300). في النهاية ، ومع ذلك ، واجهت الغواصة R-4 (SS-81) رودجرز وطاقمه الجريء الإبحار PN-9 رقم 1 على بعد عشرة أميال من جزيرة كاواي في الساعة 1600 يوم 10 سبتمبر - حوالي 450 ميلاً من المكان الذي ذهب فيه القارب الطائر لأسفل عندما انبعث وقودها وانقذتهم.

سرعان ما عاد Aroostook إلى الساحل الغربي ، لنقل الرجال والعتاد لـ VS-2. بعد العمليات المحلية خارج NAS ، سان دييغو ، خضعت السفينة لمزيد من الإصلاح في جزيرة ماري من 24 نوفمبر 1925. أبحرت إلى المياه البنمية في مارس التالي لمناورات أسطول المعركة. بالعودة إلى سان دييغو في 24 أبريل 1926 ، عملت كمناقصة بالنيابة لانجلي خلال تمرين الأسطول رقم 2 في يونيو. عملت في سان دييغو في الفترة المتبقية من العام ، وأكملت العام في رعاية الطائرات العائمة لسرب طوربيد (VT) 2. وفي العام التالي 1927 ، عملت أروستوك بين سان دييغو وبنما ، وأجرت مناورات مع الأسطول ، وفي بعض الأحيان ، يعمل مرة أخرى كحارس طائرة لانجلي. في يوم البحرية عام 1927 (2 7 أكتوبر) ، زارت سان فرانسيسكو.

بعد إجراء تدريبات تكتيكية مع الأسطول في نوفمبر و 192-7 ديسمبر ، أبحر أروستوك إلى هاواي في الربيع التالي. خلال هذه الفترة ، قامت مرة أخرى بحراسة الطائرة لصالح لانجلي. بالعودة إلى سان بيدرو في 23 يونيو ، ومن ثم إلى سا إن دييغو في نفس اليوم ، بقيت السفينة في سان دييغو حتى منتصف سبتمبر ، وفي ذلك الوقت دخلت Mare Island Navy Yard للإصلاح. عند الانتهاء من تلك الفترة من الإصلاحات والتعديلات ، أبحرت إلى بنما ، ووصلت إلى تلك المياه في 27 جانو عام 1929. عملت كحارس طائرة لحاملة الطائرات ساراتوجا (CV-3) وشاركت في مشاكل الأسطول مع المعركة أسطول في خليج بنما. عادت إلى سان دييغو في 22 مارس 1929.

بعد مرافقة الأسطول إلى خليج جوانتانامو في مارس من عام 1930 ، توجهت إلى هامبتون رودز ثم زارت واشنطن العاصمة قبل أن تعود إلى هامبتون رودز بصحبة حزب في الكونجرس. أثناء وجودها في تلك المياه ، عملت كحارس طائرة في ليكسينغتون (CV-2). بالعودة إلى واشنطن في 23 مايو ، أبحرت بعد يومين إلى Southern Drill Grounds عادت في النهاية إلى سان دييغو في 13 يونيو 1930 في الشركة مع Battleship Division 3 ، وعملت كحارس طائرة لـ Langley. في وقت لاحق من ذلك العام ، قامت برعاية الطائرات المشاركة في قصف السفن المستهدفة ex-Sloat (DD-316) و ex-Marcus (DD-321) وفتشت الأهداف. في 2 ديسمبر 1930 ، أروستوك ، مع واحد من المرافق وسربان من الدوريات ، تقدم للعمل مع Com mander ، Base Force ، حيث زودت تلك القيادة بأول منظمة طيران لها. لقد اختتمت العام برعاية طائرات من سرب الدوريات (VP) 7B ، حيث شاركت في مشكلة استكشافية.

خرج من الخدمة في Puget Sound Navy Yard ، في 10 مارس 1931 ، ظل Aroostook غير نشط خلال السنوات العشر القادمة. نظرت البحرية في إعادة تنشيط السفينة للخدمة كسفينة شحن تتخذ خطوة إعادة تصنيفها على أنها AK-44 في 20 مايو 1941 ، لكنها غير مناسبة لهذه المهمة. تم شطب اسمها من سجل السفن البحرية في 5 فبراير 1943 ، وتم نقلها إلى إدارة الشحن الحربي.

تم نقل السفينة إلى منطقة انتظار اللجنة البحرية في خليج سويسون بولاية كاليفورنيا ، ويبدو أنها مدرجة تحت اسمها السابق Bunker Hill ، وقد استحوذت عليها شركة Seven Seas Trading and Shipping Co. ، في بيفرلي هيلز ، كاليفورنيا ، في عام 1947. قام المالكون الجدد بتجسيدها على أنها لوكس وتحويل الهيكل إلى كازينو عائم ليتم تثبيته خارج حدود الثلاثة أميال. العديد من الأزمات مع القانون ، وأخيراً ، استيلاء خفر السواحل على السفينة ، ومع ذلك ، فقد أنهت هذه المرحلة الملونة من حياتها المهنية ، وتم بيعها في نهاية المطاف إلى كسارة السفن في أكتوبر 1947 بسبب الخردة.


التاريخ السري لرينو

تم نشر هذا المقال بتاريخ 04.26.18

على حدود كاليفورنيا / نيفادا في عام 1938 ، زعيم العمال سي. قاد آدامز (على الحاجز) مجموعة من العمال الذين يسعون إلى دعم عمال نيفادا.

One day in March 1923, Reno’s postmaster heard from the U.S. Post Office in D.C. that Washoe County had a new fourth class post office at Diessner, a location of which no one in Reno had ever heard and could not find.

The same day, the Reno City Council dealt with park matters—an offer by S.H. Wheeler to donate to the city a block bounded by Crampton, Burns, Locust and Wilson streets for a park.

And Reno City Councilmember Roy Frisch proposed creation of a park in a rock quarry at Stewart and Wheeler streets.

After a day of searching, it was announced that Diessner had been located. It was 20 miles north of Vya and six miles south of the Oregon border. Then as now, there was great turnover in Nevada’s population, and residents did not always know the terrain.

Today there are homes, not a park, on the block Wheeler offered to the city. When given a choice between development or the good life, city officials, then as now, usually chose the former.

Frisch got his park—Stewart Park still exists. But Frisch himself later vanished, never to be seen again, a victim of the corruption that permeated life in Reno.

One thing we don’t have from that single day in 1923 is an instance of the city’s deep-seated racism. But we can be all but certain it manifested itself in some way that March day, because it was so woven into the town’s fabric. Reno was, after all, fertile ground for Klan organizers and saw a Klavern established a few months later.

There were no professional historians in Nevada until Russell Elliott in the 1950s. Until then, local history was written by local figures with a stake in the players. As a result, history arrived for later generations cleansed and sanitized. There was little of the bigotry, corruption and venality that accompanied the growth of the town.

Newspapers, first the Crescent, then—more permanently—the Gazette and Journal, tended to be community boosters, yet the seamy sides of the town come through clearly, so it’s difficult not to wonder what horrors they withheld for fear of driving off investors or tourists.

A 150th anniversary seems like a good time to reclaim some of this lost history, and learn from it.

When Nevada entered the union during the Civil War and until the 1890s, it was a Republican state. The party of Lincoln treated African Americans benevolently. When, in 1879, there was legislation in Congress proposing reservations for blacks, the Nevada State Journal mildly editorialized, “It lacks practicality.”

Blacks in Nevada were treated better than Asians or Native Americans, but it was only a matter of degree. Community benevolence fluctuated from hostility to gentility. Often blacks were objects of curiosity, as when in 1900 the Reno Gazette ran an article titled “The Negro in hot weather.”

African Americans tended to have a Reno of their own, as when they built a church on Bell Street in 1910. To be black in Reno meant to live apart from the other Reno.

Violence against blacks could be employed with impunity. In 1908, Tom Ramsey pistol whipped a black jockey who declined to race, nearly causing a riot.

In 1907, the McKissick Opera House played Under Southern Skies, a play about a “poor girl suspecting that there is a negro taint in her blood … [who] sacrifices herself for her family’s sake.”

In 1908, the Journal editorialized, “Haiti is a land of savage beasts.”

In 1909, the Reno Gazette warned “WHITE SUPREMACY GOING DOWN” about the lack of a white fighter to face African American champion Jack Johnson. When the Great White Hope fight was held in Reno the next year, a photograph of all the boxing champions attending the fight was taken. The reigning heavyweight champ who won the title again that day was excluded.

Even service to the country did not shield blacks. In 1943, the Reno USO Council held a meeting to decide what to do when the owner of a building rented for a USO center for African American soldiers canceled the rental agreement, returned the rent check, and told Mayor August Frohlich he had received complaints from other property owners. Later, at a meeting chaired by Frohlich, the problem of hotels and restaurants being unwilling to serve African Americans was discussed, with the possibility of moving Civilian Conservation Corps buildings to the city for black housing suggested, and local USO director Father Thomas Collins reported that a new site had been located at 221 Lake Street.

In 1946, instead of welcoming black veterans into a local chapter, the American Legion chartered a separate Reno post for African Americans.

In 1952, the Army announced that because Reno businesses refused to serve African American soldiers stationed at Stead Air Force Base, the Army was starting bus service between Stead and Sacramento for black soldiers to use for R&R.

The next year, Air Force officials, noting that there were no clubs in Reno admitting African Americans, urged the Reno city council to approve a liquor license for Theresa King, who wanted to operate King’s Lounge at 900 E. Commercial Row. A white physician, Dr. Morse Little, provided a character reference for Ms. King.

Reno clubs said they mostly integrated in 1960 after Gov. Grant Sawyer warned they would give the city a black eye during its role as host city for the 1960 Winter Olympics.

But what was reported to be Reno’s first sit-in was staged by African Americans a year later at the Overland Hotel’s café while elsewhere in the downtown the same day a picket line was thrown up at the Nevada Bank of Commerce.

In 1963, the Gazette ran a cartoon of Cassius Clay (Muhammad Ali) captioned “HIM AND HIS BIG MOUTH” and showing the boxer’s head made up mostly of mouth.

Marianne Reddick, owner of the Academy Personnel Agency said a local businessperson had chewed out one of her job counselors for sending a black applicant on a job referral, so she had “White Only” printed on work referrals.

Native Americans had seniority, but the example set by community leaders, including newspaper owners, had a lot to do with how Renoites treated tribal members. In 1891, when a group of representatives of eastern tribes came to Nevada to visit the Paiute prophet Wovoka, Reno’s Journal belittled them. In 1893, a group of Native Americans were sent to San Francisco to be “exhibited” at a fair. In 1911, Native American Jack Macini was hit by the Overland Limited, mangled, decapitated and killed—all of which was a source of amusement to the Gazette, which published a long supercilious story filled with disdain and a white person’s version of tribal lore—and elsewhere in the same edition there was a one-inch death notice on a second, apparently less interesting “buck Indian.”

Newspaper owners changed, and sometimes the attitude toward Native Americans changed with them, becoming more sympathetic if patronizing. The Journal in 1911: “It is a reproach on civilization that these young Indians should be in the condition of close cousins to savage wildcats.”

Tribal food was a regular grievance. Whites cut down pine nut trees, a regular part of the native diet, deeply angering tribes. Whites constantly complained about the tribes fishing—as they had done for centuries—from the Truckee River, named for a Piute leader. In 1900, the Journal bragged that its campaign against illegal fishing in the Truckee was making headway: “It is reported that a number of Indians have been infringing the law between here and Laughton’s [west of Reno] and it would be well if the offenders were captured and made an example of.” Tribal members were regularly arrested for selling trout in Reno.

At a Native American settlement on the east end of the Truckee Meadows, a store owned by George Moffit was blown up, killing him and injuring his wife and child.

In 1902, tribal leader Captain Jim wrote about the loss of tribal lands: “Now on account of not having homes the Washoe Indians wander from place to place and learn these destructive habits which the white people have introduced. … Some white men says that we have no business to drink whiskey if we know it to be dangerous, but they do the very same thing, yet they are supposed to be civilized men.”

If some whites reached out to them, officialdom was there to insist that tribal members be shunned. In 1914, Victor Catrini was convicted in Reno police court of associating with Native Americans. His sentence—leave Reno.

White officialdom seldom aided Indians, but in 1924 Indian police officer Sam Johns arrested Alex Jamison for selling denatured alcohol to Native Americans in the jungles along the Truckee River.

After World War II, Congress reacted to the uncomfortable parallels between German treatment of the Jews and U.S. treatment of the tribes by creating a Claims Commission. The Washo tribe filed a claim of $43,811,985.84 based on the 1862 value of Washo land, mineral, timber, fish and game rights, plus interest, all as a result of findings by professional assessors. Twenty-one سنوات later, the Commission settled the case by paying $5,000,000 to the Washo.

In 1975, a Native American employee of the Washoe County School District accused the district of misusing federal funds earmarked for tribal education by “trying to eliminate us from the curriculum.”

In early Reno, the Chinese were known for excellent vegetables and as laundry operators. But as new arrivals, they were also identified as a threat to the jobs of whites.

In 1879, the Journal: “[U.S. Secretary of State William Evarts] having declared the influx of Chinese to this coast is ‘an invasion, not an immigration,’ it becomes the duty of every good citizen to expel the invaders.”

Two major efforts were undertaken by whites against the Chinese in Reno—the White Laundry and the burning of Chinatown.

Because the Chinese dominated the laundry business in Reno, white businesspeople met, formed a corporation, and pooled their money to build a White Laundry to try to drive the Chinese laundries out of business. On April 2, 1886, a ball was held in Reno to honor the anti-Chinese movement and celebrate the opening of the Reno Steam Laundry Association building. The next day, the Gazette editorialized that the laundry for whites—people, not linens—would be a test of whether white residents were willing to drop their patronage of Chinese laundries.

Arson was tried against Chinatown twice. In 1878, a Reno off-shoot of Denis Kearney’s racist San Francisco Workingman’s Party movement, responding to a construction contract going to a Chinese firm, burned most of Chinatown down. Its residents moved across the river and reestablished Chinatown there.

In 1908, city officials elicited a condemnation order against Chinatown from the city health board and again burned Chinatown down, leaving the inhabitants in the snow. Businesspeople who disliked publicity that might drive off industry or tourists could have read later reports in places like the Boston Transcript of the Chinese Benevolent Association of San Francisco wiring President Roosevelt asking him to help “right the wrongs suffered by the Chinese of Reno.”

Roosevelt was of no help on that matter, but not long after, when the Nevada Legislature caused an international incident, he summoned U.S. Senators Frank Newlands and George Nixon of Nevada and apparently asked the two Nevadans to lobby against an anti-Japanese measure—it described the Japanese as “parasites of the world” and also criticized Roosevelt—in the Nevada Legislature.

The power that the example of alleged adults can have was seen during this same period when a group of boys in Reno with a slingshot tormented a Japanese man named Hashamura. An article on the incident in the Goldfield Chronicle ran just beneath an article on plans for juvenile courts in Nevada.

During World War II, Nevada was nearly surrounded by states—Utah, Arizona, California, Idaho—that hosted internment camps for U.S. citizens. Why not Nevada? Because Gov. Ted Carville made clear to federal officials that he wanted no part of Japanese, even imprisoned ones. In 1943, he stopped 100 Japanese Americans evacuated from the West Coast from assisting Moapa farmers with their tomato crop.

In 1957, the City of Reno’s condemnation committee declared a Reno historic landmark, a Chinese joss house (house of worship) at First and Lake streets—one of the few remnants of the city’s rich Chinese heritage—to be unfit for use. It was removed.

Alcohol prohibition and hard times made a combustible combination in Nevada.

In the early 20th century, there was an influential reform group in Reno that did not want prizefighting and divorce to be the only things for which the city was known. They actually had a certain level of success promoting Reno as a health resort.

But organized vice was lucrative, and a wide open town eventually prevailed over civic betterment.

The open town policies of Mayor Edwin Roberts sent a message, and soon Reno became a fiefdom of gangster bosses—George Wingfield, William Graham, James McKay, Tex Hall. All enjoyed a patina of respectability because of their legal businesses while they ran a town that became a criminal mecca like Joplin or Chicago. Auto gangsters like Baby Face Nelson and the Barker gang found their way to Reno to cool off between crimes.

Unsurprisingly, prohibition officers were regularly caught in crime themselves, including state director John Donnelley.

Reno newspapers played the game and did nothing to disrupt the corruption, referring to Graham and McKay as “sportsmen.” The first Nevada Pulitzer Prize went to the Sacramento Bee in 1935 for an exposé of judicial affairs in Nevada. It was a novelist, Walter Van Tilburg Clark, who wrote what Reno newspapers at the time kept quiet, and Clark’s book, which referenced a Reno boss named “Nick Briasi,” told the tale in 1945:

Mr. Hazard told Briasi … a lot of things he must have been storing up for a long time. He mentioned a murder in Douglas Alley, a minister who had been forced to leave town because of a drunken speech the mayor had made from his pulpit, unexplained fires in out-of-town nightclubs, prohi raids from San Francisco that busted up some clubs, but never touched others, dope peddling that nobody could trace, even in a town as small as Reno, the finances of the red-light district. … “You push this, you two-bit, back alley Capone,” he yelled at Briasi, “And I’ll open it up if it costs me every nickel I’ve ever made.”

Graham, McKay, Hall and their cronies were immune in Nevada courts, but federal prosecutors eventually won convictions of them—but not of Wingfield. Roy Frisch was supposed to testify until he disappeared. When the gangsters were released from prison, they were welcomed back to Nevada with open arms.

Some later writers emphasized the colorful aspects of the corrupt town, never mentioning those who suffered at the hands of the crime lords, paying the price of graft and vice.

Workers were among the worst tormenters of Asians. But the time came when workers themselves suffered at the hands of Reno leaders. Labor troubles were common in the Depression. In the 1922 national railroad strike, Nevada Gov. Emmet Boyle set a terrible example by personally leading an attack on a group of pickets outside a Las Vegas Union Pacific stockade.

Ten years later, in 1932, contempt of court charges against two Culinary Union officials over picketing at Reno’s Monarch Café in spite of a restraining order obtained by the owners were dismissed, but an injunction against picketing was granted.

Then the Reno City Council got involved. The Culinary Workers Union pulled pickets off seven Reno restaurants after the Council enacted a picketing ban. It was an outrageous attack on free expression, but the law was used repeatedly over the years. In 1937, two labor union picketers were arrested and charged by city attorney Douglas Busey under the law. The next month, in heavily union Sparks, that City Council considered adopting a similar law, drawing the ire of local Machinists Union leader Philip Drury.

In 1938, law enforcement took sides in a labor dispute when Washoe County Sheriff Ray Root and a couple of hundred American Legion “deputies” tried to block solidarity pickets from California from entering Nevada to join local union members picketing Reno’s Isbell Construction at Verdi Glen. The Californians set up on the west side of the state line and picketed the state of Nevada, asking motorists not to enter the state. Police had obstructed the constitutional right of freedom of movement, specifically “right of free ingress into other States,” as the U.S. Supreme Court phrased it.

When Culinary Workers Union member Paula Day was arrested for violating Reno’s anti-picketing law in front of an East Commercial Row cafe in 1939, Busey tried unsuccessfully to get the issue to the Nevada Supreme Court for a ruling on the legality of the ordinance, but neither Day nor the Culinary attorney attended a hearing.

The use of the ordinance declined during the war years, and it was still on the books in the 1960s. A test case was sparked when American Federation of Casino and Gaming Employees representative Stanley Philipie picketed and leafleted in front of the Horseshoe Club in Reno. The Nevada Supreme Court overturned the arrest, saying expression can be regulated, “but it cannot be forbidden entirely.”

It is easy to say today’s Reno is not yesterday’s Reno. But this century and millennium began with an arson attack on a Reno synagogue. Picketers at the Reno census office were arrested four years after the city ordinance was overruled. Thirty thousand people signed a petition this very year calling for a University of Nevada, Reno student to be expelled for having an opinion and expressing it nonviolently.


Biography & Loss

Walter Elsworth Reno was born in Davis County, Iowa, on 3 October 1881. He entered the U.S. Naval Academy in 1901 and graduated in 1905. While a junior officer, Reno served primarily in battleships. He was promoted to the rank of Lieutenant in 1910 and during the next four years was stationed in the battleships New Jersey and Wisconsin. From early 1914 until early 1916 he was Officer in Charge at the Chicago, Illinois, Navy Recruiting Station.

Lieutenant Reno then went out to the Philippines, where he took command of the destroyer Chauncey. In the Summer of 1917, after United States had entered World War I, Reno brought his ship from the Far East to the European war zone. While on convoy escort duty west of Gibraltar during the night of 19 November 1917, Chauncey was rammed by a merchant steamer and sank, taking with her Lieutenant Commander Reno and twenty of his ship's officers and men.


Mục lục

رينو được đặt lườn vào ngày 4 tháng 7 năm 1918 tại xưởng tàu Union Iron Works của hãng Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corporation ở San Francisco, California. Nó được hạ thủy vào ngày 22 tháng 1 năm 1919, được đỡ đầu bởi cô Kathryn Baldwin Anderson, con gái Thống đốc California Alden Anderson [2] và được đưa ra hoạt động vào ngày 23 tháng 7 năm 1920. Mẹ của Thiếu tá Reno, bà L. D. Reno ở Eldon, Iowa, được mời đỡ đầu con tàu, nhưng đã từ chối vì lý do sức khỏe. Vợ góa của Thiếu tá Reno, bà Beatrice Tracy Reno, con gái của cựu Trợ lý bộ trưởng hải quân Frank Tracy, cũng từng được cân nhắc là người đỡ đầu cho con tàu. [3]

Được phân về Hạm đội Thái Bình Dương, رينو hoạt động dọc theo vùng bờ Tây Hoa Kỳ cho đến tháng 1 năm 1921, khi nó gia nhập các đơn vị khác của hạm đội trong một chuyến đi đến Valparaíso, Chile. Tiếp nối các hoạt động dọc theo vùng bờ Tây sau khi quay trở về, nó hoạt động giữa Washington và khu vực Nam California, thỉnh thoảng có những chuyến đi đến vùng quần đảo Hawaii hay vùng kênh đào Panama. Vào tháng 4 năm 1927, nó đi sang phía Đông đến tận vịnh Guantánamo, Cuba, và vào tháng 7 năm đó đã có mặt tại Prince Rupert, British Columbia tham dự lễ hội kỷ niệm 75 năm thành lập Canada.

رينو được cho xuất biên chế tại San Diego, California vào ngày 18 tháng 1 năm 1930. Tên nó được cho rút khỏi danh sách Đăng bạ Hải quân vào ngày 8 tháng 7 năm 1930 và nó bị tháo dỡ vào năm 1931 nhằm tuân thủ các điều khoản hạn chế vũ trang của Hiệp ước Hải quân London.


تاريخ

The people that inhabited the Great Basin prior to the European invasion were the Numa or Numu (Northern Paiute), the Washeshu (Washoe), the Newe (Shoshone), and the Nuwuvi (Southern Paiute).

In each of these groups’ language, these names meant “The People.” Within these groups were bands of Indians who were often referred to with words that reflected where they lived or what they ate.

For example, the Agai Ticutta referred to the trout eaters near the Walker River or the Toi Ticutta referred to the tulle eaters near the Stillwater Marshes.

Today, The People continue to recognize their special place on Earth and all the life cycles. Traditionally, The People lived a well-planned, harmonious life which was predicated on their immediate surroundings and nature. Time could not be wasted. Knowing what the land would offer was a matter of survival, thus The People’s migration patterns were strategic and well-thought-out. The People followed the food and over thousands of years, each band evolved as an efficient, social and economic unit that could comfortably inhabit the land on which the People had been placed since time immemorial.

Living in cycles with the seasons, the Numu occupied the strip known as Western Nevada, Eastern Nevada, Eastern Oregon, and Southern Idaho. The Washeshu gathered annually at Lake Tahoe and dispersed for several hundred miles throughout the remainder of the year.

The Newe were found in what is today called Eastern Nevada, Utah, and Southern California.

The Nuwuvi inhabited the Colorado River Basin where they harvested corn, squash, wheat and beans.

To each group, the animals of the Great Basin gave insight to creation and wise guidance on how to live. Though each group spoke a different language Washoe, a Hokoan derivative the other dialects of the Uto-Aztecan origin they understood and respected the lifestyles of the other immediate groups and other tribes with whom they came in contact. In fact, much trade and commerce occurred among the original inhabitants of the entire continent. Conflicts occurred only when economic necessities forced a group to raid or confiscate the resources of another group.

Though The People consider that they have been here since time began, archeological evidence places the earliest residents of Nevada as living here about 10,000 years ago. In 1994, the Nevada State Museum carbon dated remains which were unearthed in 1940 near Fallon, Nev. According to modern science, the burial remains of “Spirit Cave Man” prove that he lived in the area over 9,400 years ago.

Because the Great Basin was one of the last major frontiers to be explored and settled by European-Americans, The People sustained their way-of-life and ethnic identity much longer than most Tribes in other parts of the country.

In fact, at first contact in what would become Nevada, hundreds of other Tribes were enduring the fourth major shift in U.S. Government policy toward American Indians. From 1492-1828, or during the Colonial Period, Indians were dealt with as sovereign nations. Many treaties and agreements were negotiated with France and England as these countries recognized that the Indians had their own form of government, their own leaders, and their own homelands.

Around 1830, the Spanish Trail opened in southern Nevada and explorers and trappers made their way into the arid landscape. In the beginning, many tribal groups were curious about these newcomers and The People attempted to establish relationships with them. Yet, as time went on it was difficult to maintain a friendly association as The People found it difficult to adapt to the disruption in their lives caused by these newcomers.

Although there is little written about Spaniards being in Washoe territory, there are some stories by the Washoe that suggest such an occurrence. The first written records of non-Indians in Washoe lands took place in 1826.

The Shoshone and Northern Paiute also encountered non-Indians about this time. Unfortunately, the explorers and the settlers did not understand the lifestyle of The People.

The non-Indians thought that The People wandered aimlessly from place to place, but these assumptions were completely wrong. As a matter of survival, the tribes followed seasonal, migratory patterns for hunting and gathering food and other materials needed for life in the Great Basin. While settlers saw the desert as rigid and desolated land, The People enjoyed the land’s abundant resources.

However, everything drastically changed in 1848 with the discovery of gold in California. Major changes were in store for The People and these changes, still impact the way The People live today. From 1778-1871 or during the Treaty Period, the U.S. government developed 370 treaties in an attempt to legally negotiate with Indian Tribes. During this era of nearly 100 years, these treaties often benefited those who were moving westward and not the tribes.

The only treaty to impact Great Basin Indians was the Treaty with the Western Shoshoni [sic]. This agreement of “Peace and Friendship” was ratified in 1866. By the middle of the 1800s, so many settlers inhabited the People’s land the Indians struggled to find food.

Within five years, close to 250,000 people made their way across Nevada, hunting and fishing and infringing on The People’s traditional homelands. This encroachment extremely limited and in some areas exhausted the food supply. Even the introduction of the horse to the Great Basin served as competition for food for the Indians.

Cultural clashes soon developed, too.

There was a significant difference in perspective regarding land occupation versus land ownership. The settlers believed in land ownership, meaning that once they chose an area in which to live, they tended to stay in that one location. Meanwhile, The People utilized the land seasonally and only occupied the area for a short term. As The People struggled to adapt, the federal government shifted its policy towards Indians again. The Indian Removal Act of 1830 halted any future treaties with Tribes and it gave Congress the authority to isolate the People in order to allow economic growth throughout the United States. This was done through the creation of reservations.

One of the main goals of reservations was to move The People to one central location and to provide them with a piece of land to cultivate.

Ultimately, the federal government believed that separating The People from the rest of its citizens would solve land disputes. The development and activation of reservations was a campaign promise of U.S. President Andrew Jackson and most of the land set aside was undesirable lands that the settlers did not want anyway. Some tribes and bands fought the process of removal and eventually, assimilation, but in doing so, the Tribes were perceived as hostile and uncivilized. It was during the Reservation Period that the President of the United States, Abraham Lincoln, allowed the Nevada territory to join the union. Without including the Great Basin Native Americans in the count, Nevada’s population did not meet the federal requirements for becoming a state. However, on October 31, 1864, President Lincoln proclaimed Nevada as the 36th state.

Soon thereafter, the Moapa River Paiute Reservation and then the Walker River Paiute Indian Reservation were each established by executive order in 1873. Back in 1859, the Department of Interior had recommended that land be set aside for Indian use north of the Truckee River and including Pyramid Lake. Though an executive order was issued in 1874 to establish the Pyramid Lake Reservation, the legal year of establishment is 1859.

In 1871, the Indian Appropriations Act gave the U.S. Congress exclusive right and power to regulate trade and affairs with the Indian tribes and the U.S. Supreme Court legally designated Indians as domestic dependent nations and wards of the federal government. This jarring shift in policy toward Indians meant more federal control over The People.

From 1887-1934, the U.S. federal government began its Allotment and Assimilation plan for dealing with the Indians. These policies closely resembled the European model of land ownership with an ultimate goal on pushing The People to become part of white society. In doing so, not only did the government take additional land from tribes, but it attempted to erase reservation boundaries and force Indians into society at large.

The Dawes Act divided tribal land into individual parcels and halted communal land use which paralleled traditional native life styles. The vast majority of Indians lands taken through the Dawes Act were not just used for new settlements, but for railroads, mining and forestry industries.

In addition, the Allotment and Assimilation Period called for Indians to be educated in boarding schools operated by the government. Indian children were often taken from their families and made to attending these military-like institutions, hundreds of miles away from their families.

As a result of the allotment system, nationwide, Indian territory was reduced from 138 million acres to only 48 million acres. Along with the devastating loss of their land, The People’s fundamental structure for Tribal life was destroyed, too. Another major shift in federal policy happened after a U.S. government commissioned study evaluated the conditions of Indian communities.

In stunning details, the Meriam Report outlined the ineffectiveness of the Dawes Act as it found that the overwhelming majority of Indian people were extremely poor, in bad health, living in primitive dwellings, and without adequate employment.

The Meriam Report blamed the hardships that the Indians faced on the encroachment of white civilization. The report stated that the Indians’ social system did not and would not work with the conditions forced onto them. These findings were the basis for the Indian Reorganization Act of 1934. The IRA encouraged Tribes to organize their own governments and incorporate their trust land. This is how the Reno-Sparks Indian Colony was established.

At the turn of the century, many Numa and Washoe lived in the Reno-Sparks area, not only because this was the aboriginal lands for The People, but more and more Indians moved to the area to find jobs. The transition to colonies actually represented another adaptive strategy for the Indians. Often, The People not living on a reservation were considered “scattered or homeless.”

These Indians tried to maintain some of their old ways by building traditional homes, sometimes with modern materials, in camps in urban areas, often near the Truckee River.

In 1917, the federal government purchased 20 acres for $6,000 for non-reservation Indians of Nevada and for homeless Indians. This land is the core of the present-day Colony. Most of the land was not cultivatable, however the Indian Bureau dug irrigation ditches to provide some drinking water, but most of the Indians collected drinking water from a spring about a quarter of a mile away.

Initially, the Numa lived on the north side of the Colony, while the Washoe lived on the south side of Colony. The Reno-Sparks Indian Colony and all colonies received some governmental services and were most often considered by the Bureau of Indian Affairs to be under their jurisdiction. For example, the purchase of additional land in 1926 was part of an effort to improve the water supply for the Colony.

Plus, from 1920-1930, a nurse and a police officer, paid from federal government funds, were stationed at the Colony. Further, in 1938 the United States Supreme Court ruled that there was no distinction between a colony and a reservation which meant that the superintendence of the Colony fell to the federal government.

To that end, an additional 8.38 acres was added to the Colony in 1926. Purchased for about $4,000, this strip of land allowed for a day school. For many years, residents of the Colony sent their children to this local government operated school instead of a boarding school about 40 miles away.

However, the Colony school was closed in the early 1940s because the building was in such disrepair. The Indian children’s only option was to attend public school, but discrimination was rampant.

Mercifully, in 1945, Grace Warner, the principal of Orvis Ring School, invited the Indian student to attend her school. This arrangement which included busing the Colony students to Orvis Ring, lasted until 1975 when the public school system required the Indian students to attend the school closest in proximity to the Colony.

As permissible under the IRA, the Reno-Sparks Indian Colony established its first formal council in 1934.

On February 9, 1934 the elected council included three Paiutes—Cleveland Cypher, Thomas Ochiho, and George Hooten, and three Washoes—Willie Tondy, Jack Mahoney, and George McGinnis. Harry Sampson was selected Chairman of the Council.

In a letter to Nevada Senator Key Pitman, the new council supported the IRA, writing that the bill would be of lasting benefit to the progress of all Indians in the United States. Additionally, the new Colony leadership with input from Acting Bureau of Indian Affairs Superintendent John H. Holst, conducted a vote in which the IRA was overwhelmingly supported by the Colony residents.

Furthermore, five men— Sampson, Cypher, Mahoney, Tondy, and George Hunter worked on a constitution for the Colony. Additional assistance crafting the constitution came from George LaVatta, a Northern Shoshone from the Fort Hall Reservation who worked as a federal government field agent. The Colony’s constitution was adopted on December 16, 1935 and was approved by a vote of 51-1.

In 1936, the Colony tried to adopt a charter, but the BIA’s field superintendent, Alida Bowler, delayed submitting the paperwork to the federal government. Bowler did not believe all the signatures were authentic as many Colony members who could not write, had someone else sign his or her name. Bowler returned the petition with instructions to have person who could not write, make a cross or a thumbprint, but that action had to be witnessed by two other persons.

Adding to the confusion, most often charters enabled tribes to get credit which would assist the Indians with economic development. Bowler did not think the RSIC could get credit because it had no agricultural resources.

However, the Colony’s charter, which was approved on January 7, 1939, included plans for the tribe to establish a cooperating laundry, a store, a meat market, a gas station, arrangements for the raising of poultry, and a harness repair shop for individual Indian members who wanted to do business for themselves.

Also under Sampson’s leadership, the RSIC tried to take advantage of a provision in the IRA to purchase more land for the Colony. With input from E. M. Johnstone, a BIA land field agent, LaVatta, and Bowler, a proposal for the purchase of 1,080 acres between Highway 40 and the Southern Pacific Railroad tracks in the Truckee Canyon was submitted to the Commissioner of Indian Affairs on January 25, 1937.

Unfortunately, this land purchase never came to fruition as the federal government’s field agent, active agent, and superintendent, could not agree on how to proceed. While, the RSIC continued to build its sovereignty and explore economic opportunities for its members, U.S. President Dwight D. Eisenhower changed the federal government’s policy toward American Indians and began the Termination Era.

To deal with the Indians nationwide, Eisenhower sought complete elimination of the U.S. government’s trust responsibility to the tribes. This meant that scores of tribes lost their federal benefits and support services, along with tribal jurisdiction over their lands.

All told, the Termination Era, which lasted from 1945 to 1968, eliminated 109 tribal governments and reservations. Fortunately, no tribes in Nevada were terminated.

Finally, in 1970, U.S. President Richard Nixon developed the latest national policy toward Indians, Tribal Self-Determination. Self-Determination gave autonomy to tribes by allowing the Indians to control their own affairs and be independent of federal oversight without being cut off from federal support.
———————————————————————————————————————–
Today, the RSIC has expanded its original land base to 15,292 acres with 1, 157 Tribal members. The Colony employs over 300 employees and more than half are The People.

The Tribe also maintains a tribal court system, a police force and a health clinic, and it provides full government services to its membership. The Tribe’s other governmental departments include administration, education, public works, human services, utility district, planning, prevention coalition, enrollment, human resources, economic development, recreation, finance, housing, and the chairman’s office.

Below is the Tribal government organizational chart:
ORG CHART- 08-14-2019


Recent comments (view all 16 comments)

Thank you for the speedy reply. I wish I could furnish the answers you request, but alas, I have forgotten &ndash if I ever knew them. I spent the summers and weekends at both drive-ins with my high school sweetie in &lsquo64. '65, and '66. In '64, I actually woked at the Rt. 303, Orangebyrg drive-in during the summer. The Nyack Drive-in, which may have technically been located in Blauvelt, followed the Rt. 303 Drive-in in opening, but I don&rsquot know when it actually opened or what the first movie shown was. It was located just south of Lake Oneora swimming club, also long gone now.

I did see a related website or &lsquoblog&rsquo about those drive-ins in classmates.com, somewhere- let me see if I can locate the URL before I close. شكرا،
Tom Davis
ملاحظة. try and copy and paste this url:
View link

Bill Fredericks of Pearl River NY was one of the main projectionists at the 303 Drive-In for many many years beginning in the 1950’s. (Not sure about the exact spelling of his name, might have been Frederick.) I was in the booth in the 1950&rsquos when I (and the booth) was quite young. I vividly remember that the Arc lamps were HUGE, you could just about crawl inside them. The projectors were Century’s according to my recollection. The Drive In was located off of Rt 303, within sight of the Palisades Interstate Parkway, and adjacent to the US Army Reserve Center.

While hiking in Buttermilk Falls County Park a couple of weeks ago, our group could clearly see the remains of a drive in that was right across the street from the park. This has to be the West Nyack theater that Tom Davis mentions? The screen is still up and you can see how the parking field radiates out from the screen. There&rsquos no marquee or anything on Route 303 so unless you climbed to the height that we did, you would not know it was there. Can anyone confirm this is the West Nyack Drive-in?

Never mind. I found it listed on this site. It&rsquos actually in Blauvelt. How could I ever think a movie theater could escape a mention on this site? اعتذاري. My God this site is thorough.

Above address is now incorrect. Now Organic Recycling, Inc. @ 121 New York 303. The entrance for this business is the same as the drive-in.

August 3rd, 1956 grand opening ad in photo section.

This was a huge single screen site, could&rsquove easily been twinned. Anyway it looks like the giant concession building still exists on the site.

According To The Journal News, The Route 303 Drive-In In Orangeburg Lasted For At Least 31 Years Until It Is Converted Into A Flea Market In 1987.

Its funny, I just noticed on the newest street view image they just removed the drive in wording on the road sign and hung a banner saying nursery.

Also opened with Walt Disney&rsquos &ldquoSardinia&rdquo. Closed in 1988. The snack bar is now used for a horticultural landscape center and the marquee used as a sign for the building. The rest of the site is now used as the town compost/recycling center.


شاهد الفيديو: Носимый бобинник Орбита-303 -привет из 60-х годов (شهر نوفمبر 2021).