معلومة

أمستردام CL-101 - التاريخ


أمستردام CL-101

أمستردام

مدينة صناعية تقع في شرق نيويورك ، على بعد 28 ميلاً شمال غرب ألباني.

__________

أمستردام (CL-59) - الذي اختاره الرئيس فرانكلين روزفلت شخصيًا في 2 أغسطس 1940 لهذا المشروع المتوقع كليفلاند كلاس طراد خفيف - تم وضعه في 1 مايو 1941 في كامدن ، نيوجيرسي من قبل شركة نيويورك لبناء السفن. ومع ذلك ، قبل اكتمالها ، تم تحويل السفينة الحربية إلى حاملة طائرات ؛ أعيدت تسميته استقلال (CV-22) (qv.) في 12 فبراير 1942 ؛ وتم إطلاقه تحت الاسم الجديد في 22 أغسطس 1942.

أنا

(CL-101: dp. 10،000؛ 1. 610'1 "؛ b. 66'4"؛ dr. 24 '؛ s. 31.6 k.؛ cpl. 1426؛ a. 12 6 "، 12 5"، 28 40mm . ، 10 20 مم ؛ cl. كليفلاند)

أمستردام تم وضع (CL-101) في 3 مارس 1943 في نيوبورت نيوز ، فيرجينيا ، من قبل شركة Newport News لبناء السفن والحوض الجاف ؛ بدأت في 25 أبريل 1944 ، برعاية السيدة ويليام إ. وتم تكليفه في نورفولك نيفي يارد ، بورتسموث ، فيرجينيا ، في 8 يناير 1945 ، النقيب أندرو ب.لوتون في القيادة.

بعد التركيب النهائي في نورفولك ، انطلقت الطراد الخفيف في 5 فبراير لتدريب الابتزاز في خليج تشيسابيك. في 17 فبراير ، برزت من هامبتون رودز وتوجهت جنوبًا إلى ترينيداد ، جزر الهند الغربية البريطانية ، والمرحلة الثانية من رحلتها البحرية المضطربة. أمستردام تعمل من ترينيداد حتى 13 مارس ، عندما حددت دورة في نورفولك. خلال رحلة العودة ، أجرت تدريبًا على قصف الشاطئ قبالة جزيرة كوليبرا ثم عادت إلى نورفولك في 20. بعد رحلة بحرية قصيرة إلى كيب ماي ، نيوجيرسي ، لإجراء تدريبات على المدفعية ، دخلت السفينة نورفولك نافي يارد في 24 مارس لتوافرها.

أمستردام غادر الفناء في 20 أبريل لإجراء تدريبات في خليج تشيسابيك ، وبعد أربعة أيام أبحر إلى منطقة البحر الكاريبي. وأجرت تدريبات قبالة كوليبرا وخليج جوانتانامو بكوبا ، ثم انتقلت إلى قناة بنما التي عبرتها في 5 مايو. وصلت السفينة الحربية إلى بيرل هاربور في 18 مايو ، وأثناء إقامتها في مياه هاواي ، نفذت العديد من التدريبات المدفعية والتكتيكية.

في 9 يونيو ، حدد الطراد مسارًا ليتي ، جزر الفلبين. عند وصولها إلى خليج سان بيدرو في الحادي والعشرين ، أبلغت أسطول 3D للواجب. بعد فترة من الإمداد والتزود بالوقود ، قامت السفينة بالفرز في 1 يوليو مع فرقة العمل (TF) 38 لتغطية الضربات الجوية ضد الجزر اليابانية الرئيسية. في 10 يوليو ، بدأت طائرات القوة سلسلة من الغارات على المطارات والمصانع والشحن اليابانية. خلال هذه الإجراءات ، أمستردام حماية الناقلات من هجوم القوات الجوية أو السطحية للعدو. من بين المدن التي هاجمتها فرقة العمل كانت طوكيو وكوري وكوبي وأوساكا. في 15 أغسطس ، كانت TF 38 تستعد لشن هجوم آخر على طوكيو عندما تلقت سفنها كلمة باستسلام اليابان.

خلال الأسابيع القليلة القادمة ، أمستردام بقيت في المياه قبالة الساحل الشرقي لهونشو حراسة ضد عدوان ياباني محتمل خلال مفاوضات الهدنة. دخلت إلى خليج طوكيو في 5 سبتمبر وبقيت هناك حتى 20 ثم شكلت مسارًا للولايات المتحدة. بعد توقف قصير في خليج باكنر وأوكيناوا وبيرل هاربور لتولي موظفين للنقل إلى الولايات المتحدة ، وصلت الطراد إلى بورتلاند بولاية أوريغ في 15 أكتوبر وبقيت في ذلك الميناء لمدة أسبوعين للمشاركة في احتفالات يوم البحرية. في اليوم التاسع والعشرين ، انطلقت في سان بيدرو ، كاليفورنيا.

وصلت السفينة إلى سان بيدرو في 1 نوفمبر. بعد فترة من الإجازة والصيانة ، غادرت الطراد الساحل الغربي في 19 نوفمبر متجهة إلى بيرل هاربور. تطرقت هناك في 25 وتولت موظفين ومعدات لنقلها إلى الساحل الغربي. أبحرت الطراد مرة أخرى في 12 ديسمبر ، وعادت إلى سان بيدرو في 18 ، وركبت مرسى هناك حتى أوائل عام 1946. في 21 يناير ، انطلقت في رحلة إلى سان فرانسيسكو. بعد وقت قصير من وصولها ، بدأ طاقمها العمل لإعداد السفينة للتعطيل والدخول إلى أسطول المحيط الهادئ الاحتياطي. تم الاستغناء عنها في 30 يونيو 1947 وتم وضعها في سان فرانسيسكو. أمستردام تم حذف الاسم من قائمة البحرية في 2 يناير 1971 ، وتم بيع السفينة في 11 فبراير 1972 إلى شركة National Metal & Steel Corp ، تيرمينال آيلاند ، كاليفورنيا ، وتم إلغاؤها لاحقًا.

أمستردام حصلت على نجمة معركة واحدة مقابل خدمتها في الحرب العالمية الثانية


أمستردام CL-101 - التاريخ

يو إس إس أمستردام ، طراد خفيف فئة كليفلاند يبلغ وزنه 10000 طن تم بناؤه في نيوبورت نيوز ، فيرجينيا ، تم تكليفه في يناير 1945. قامت برحلات تدريبية في خليج تشيسابيك وجزر الهند الغربية خلال الأشهر القليلة التالية ، وفي مايو 1945 عبرت قناة بنما ، في طريقها للانضمام إلى الحرب ضد اليابان. عملت أمستردام خلال شهري يوليو والنصف الأول من أغسطس كوحدة من فرقة العمل 38 ، التي شاركت طائراتها الحاملة في ضربات ضد أهداف في جزر الوطن اليابانية. بقي الطراد بالقرب من اليابان حتى الجزء الأخير من شهر سبتمبر ، عندما بدأت رحلتها المتجهة إلى الوطن عبر المحيط الهادئ. بعد المشاركة في احتفالات يوم البحرية في بورتلاند ، أوريغون ، قامت برحلة بحرية ذهابًا وإيابًا إلى بيرل هاربور ، هاواي. في يناير 1946 ، وصلت أمستردام إلى سان فرانسيسكو ، كاليفورنيا ، حيث سرعان ما بدأت الاستعدادات لتعطيل النشاط. خرجت من الخدمة رسميًا في نهاية يونيو 1947 ، وأمضت أكثر من عقدين في أسطول احتياطي المحيط الهادئ. حُطمت يو إس إس أمستردام من سجل السفن البحرية في يناير 1971 وبيعت للتخريد في فبراير 1972.

تعرض هذه الصفحة العرض الوحيد لدينا لـ USS Amsterdam (CL-101) ، وتوفر معلومات عن الصور الأخرى التي قد تكون متاحة من الأرشيف الوطني.

إذا كنت تريد نسخًا بدقة أعلى من الصور الرقمية المعروضة هنا ، فراجع: & quot كيفية الحصول على نسخ من الصور الفوتوغرافية. & quot

انقر على الصورة الصغيرة للحصول على عرض أكبر للصورة نفسها.

في بورتلاند ، أوريغون ، للاحتفالات بيوم البحرية ، أكتوبر 1945.

مجموعة الأدميرال وليام دي ليهي ، USN.

صورة المركز التاريخي للبحرية الأمريكية.

الصورة على الإنترنت: 86 كيلو بايت 605 × 765 بكسل

بالإضافة إلى الصور المعروضة أعلاه ، يبدو أن الأرشيف الوطني يحمل آراء أخرى عن يو إس إس أمستردام (CL-101). تحتوي القائمة التالية على بعض هذه الصور:

الصور المدرجة أدناه ليست في مجموعات المركز التاريخي البحري.
لا تحاول الحصول عليها باستخدام الإجراءات الموضحة في صفحتنا & quot؛ كيفية الحصول على نسخ فوتوغرافية & quot.

يجب أن تتوفر نسخ من هذه الصور من خلال نظام الاستنساخ الفوتوغرافي للأرشيف الوطني للصور التي لا يحتفظ بها المركز التاريخي البحري.


مواقع رسمية

4th Ward قدامى المحاربين & # x27 Memorial

ربما يكون هذا النصب التذكاري هو البديل الأكثر حيوية لقائمة الشرف في الجناح ، فقد بدأ كنصب تذكاري حجري برعاية اللجنتين الجمهوريتين في وارد الثالث والرابع في عام 1967. وفي عام 1972 ، أُضيفت الأعلام إلى النصب التذكاري. وفقًا للوحة في الموقع ، كان هناك أول عشرة أعلام: الولايات المتحدة ، ولاية نيويورك ، مدينة أمستردام ، الإيطالية ، الأيرلندية ، اللبنانية ، الليتوانية ، البولندية ، البورتوريكية ، والبولندية. تمت إضافة القطب الحادي عشر والعلم الإسرائيلي بعد ذلك بوقت قصير. يمثل كل علم أجنبي مجتمعًا عرقيًا في أمستردام قدم أبنائه وبناته للخدمة وساعد أيضًا في جمع الأموال للنصب التذكاري.

تم تحديد تقاطع شارع إديسون وشارع فرومان المجاور [أنتوني] دراوس درايف و [كارول] كراجوسكي كورنرز بعد اثنين من المنظمين الأساسيين الذين أنشأوا النصب التذكاري.

تم حجز أرض النصب التذكاري من بيع مدرسة فرومان أفينيو السابقة.

النصب التذكاري الخامس للمحاربين القدامى

كان الجانب الجنوبي (الجناح الخامس) هو أول جناح ينشئ قائمة شرف مؤقتة ، وأول جناح يستعد لاستبدال دائم. في يوليو 1944 ، صوت المجلس المشترك لهدم منزل مخزن في شارع بريدج وتخصيص الأرض لنصب وارد التذكاري الخامس الدائم. بدأت على الفور لوحة قماشية من الباب إلى الباب. بحلول عام 1946 ، تم صنع نصب تذكاري جميل مرصوف بالحصى يدويًا من قبل المقيم المحلي ويليام نيكولاس. ستأتي في وقت لاحق دروع تكريما لجميع الذين خدموا ، وكذلك تمثال قسيس عسكري يعلو النصب التذكارية التي تبرع بها السيد والسيدة أنجيلو بيتيتي ، تخليدا لذكرى ابنهما الجندي أنتوني جي بيتيتي ، الذي قُتل أثناء القتال. خدم مع القوات الجوية للجيش في المحيط الهادئ ، في مايو 1942. تم تخصيص الحديقة رسميًا يوم الأحد ، 28 يوليو ، 1957: كان هناك عرض كبير وكان المتحدث الرئيسي هو بيتر ديليساندرو ، من لاثام ، نيويورك ، وسام الشرف الحائز على جائزة.

ستتم إضافة لوحات إضافية لاحقًا لتكريم أولئك الذين خدموا (أو قُتلوا أثناء القتال) في كوريا وفيتنام ، وأولئك الذين ساعدوا في بناء الحديقة وصيانتها ، خاصةً لريتشارد دانتيني ووارد ألدرمان أنجيلو ساردونيا الخامس لفترة طويلة ، و واحد إلى Donato Persico (انظر أدناه).

أمام النصب يوجد مدافع هاوتزر M1A1 75mm Pack. تم تصميم هذه المدافع بحيث تكون خفيفة بدرجة كافية لتطير على الطائرات الشراعية أو يتم تفكيكها من أجل حزمة بغل أو قطرة هواء. خدم كلاهما في العمل في الحرب العالمية الثانية ، لكن أحدهما نادر للغاية ، حيث تم تصنيعهما في عام 1935 ، السنة الأولى من التمثيل في ووترفليت آرسنال.

الأرض التي بنيت عليها الحديقة كانت في الأصل "حوض بروكواي" الذي تم ملؤه بعد نقل قناة إيري إلى نهر الموهوك في عام 1915. وقد أعطت الجناح الخامس أحد أسمائها السابقة ، بورت جاكسون - المكان الأول أو الأخير بعد أو قبل Schenectady أن قوارب القناة يمكن أن تتحول للتحميل أو التفريغ أو إعادة الإمداد أو التجديد.

في عام 2017 ، بعد عقود من بناء النصب التذكاري وصيانته ، حولت جمعية قدامى المحاربين في الجانب الجنوبي أموالها ومسؤولية الحديقة إلى المدينة.

النصب التذكاري السابع للمحاربين القدامى

هذا النصب هو عبارة عن لوحة ثلاثية (ثلاث لوحات) تتضمن نقشًا مركزيًا محاطًا بشعارات الجيش الأمريكي والبحرية الأمريكية ومشاة البحرية الأمريكية والقوات الجوية الأمريكية. (لا يوجد شعار لخفر السواحل الأمريكي ، لكنه في زمن الحرب جزء من البحرية الأمريكية). الجدران من الجص ، والتي تعكس صدى المبنى التاريخي الذي يقع خلفه قليلاً.

في موقع قائمة الشرف الأصلية للحرب العالمية الثانية ، تم التبرع بالأرض من قبل Bigelow-Sanford في عام 1946. في عام 1963 ، بدأت حملة لاستعادة قائمة الشرف الأصلية التي بلغت ذروتها في عام 1967. بعد ذلك ، تم بذل جهد لإنشاء الاستبدال الدائم الذي بدأ يؤتي ثماره في عام 1973.

النصب التذكاري الثامن للمحاربين القدامى

بالقرب من موقع قائمة الشرف الأصلية للحرب العالمية الثانية ، كان هذا النصب التذكاري أحد آخر البدائل التي أقيمت ، وهو بسيط للغاية: مستطيل بسيط من الجرانيت على قاعدة ريفية. تم نقشها ببساطة "تكريما لجميع سكان الحي الثامن الذين خدموا أن تظل بلادنا حرة إلى الأبد." تم تخصيصه في 11 نوفمبر 1978.

النصب التذكاري لقدامى المحاربين في أمستردام

ربما يكون هذا النصب التذكاري الذي يقع على الجانب الجنوبي من حقل قدامى المحاربين هو الأكثر إثارة للذكريات والأكثر تميزًا (في شمال ولاية نيويورك على الأقل). تم تصميمه في الأصل على أنه نصب تذكاري نموذجي إلى حد ما ، مع شعارات الخدمة وحجر محفور ضوئيًا مع جنود يرتدون الزي الرسمي المعاصر (تم بيع هذا الحجر في النهاية من قبل الشركة المصنعة إلى Town of Florida Veterans 'Park ، كاملة مع عروض الأسعار المختارة من قبل لجنة أمستردام للمحاربين القدامى ).

بعد ذلك ، اقترح مؤرخ المدينة على لجنة قدامى المحاربين في أمستردام التفكير بشكل أصغر وأكثر تركيزًا: التركيز على ما هو الفعل الأساسي الذي يوحد جميع المحاربين القدامى ويفصلهم عن المدنيين ، وما الذي يريد المحاربون القدامى قوله للمدنيين لتحسين افهمهم. كانت الرغبة في إنشاء نصب تذكاري يجعل الناس يتوقفون ويفكرون ، وليس مجرد إلقاء نظرة.

وهكذا يوجد في المقدمة مزيج من المجندين والضباط اليمينيين ، الشيء الأساسي الوحيد الذي يربط جميع المحاربين القدامى معًا ويفصلهم إلى الأبد عن أفراد المجتمع الآخرين. لم نكن نعرف متى رفعنا يدنا اليمنى لنقسم ما إذا كنا سنقتحم نورماندي أو الموصل ، أو نعالج البريد في ألاباما ، لكننا وعدنا جميعًا بما يلي:

أقسم رسميًا أنني سأدعم دستور الولايات المتحدة وأدافع عنه ضد جميع الأعداء الخارجيين والداخليين وأنني سأحمل الإيمان والولاء الحقيقيين لنفسه وأتحمل هذا الالتزام بحرية دون أي تحفظ عقلي أو أي غرض من التهرب وأنني سأؤدي بشكل جيد وأمين واجبات المنصب الذي أنا على وشك الدخول فيه.

يحتوي العكس على قسمين من مدونة قواعد السلوك العسكري:

إنني أمريكي القتال في القوات التي تحرس بلدي وطريقة حياتنا. أنا على استعداد للتضحية بحياتي في الدفاع عنهم.

لن أنسى أبدًا أنني أمريكي ، أقاتل من أجل الحرية ، ومسؤول عن أفعالي ، ومكرس للمبادئ التي جعلت بلادي حرة. سأثق في إلهي والولايات المتحدة الأمريكية.

يوجد أيضًا على ظهره الختم الرسمي لمدينة أمستردام والنقش: "تكريمًا لجميع قدامى المحاربين في أمستردام. أقامه شعب أمستردام ميلادي 2012 ، الجامعة الأمريكية بالقاهرة 127. " AUC هو اختصار روماني قديم يعني السنة منذ تأسيس المدينة. تم دفع النصب التذكاري حرفيًا للناس ، حيث قام عضو مجلس محلي وأعضاء من لجنة قدامى المحاربين في أمستردام بجمع وغسل المواد القابلة لإعادة التدوير لتمويلها. حول النصب التذكاري توجد أرضيات تخليداً لذكرى قدامى المحاربين في أمستردام اشترتها عائلاتهم. تم توفير المناظر الطبيعية وتجديدها بشكل دوري بواسطة Amsterdam Home Depot.

جيمس تي بيرجن بارك

حوالي عام 1918 ، استحوذت المدينة على الممتلكات السابقة لجورج كيلوجز عند تقاطع شارعي ويست مين وشارع بيرل. تم تحويل جزء من الممتلكات (الاسطبلات السابقة) إلى محطة إطفاء مركزية جديدة ، وتم تحويل جزء آخر إلى حديقة تُعرف باسم Kelloggs '. تم تغيير اسم هذا إلى حديقة بيرغن في عام 1921 تخليداً لذكرى جيمس تي بيرغن ، الملازم الأول في شركة أمستردام إتش ، ثاني مشاة نيويورك ، الذي نقل مع الوحدة في عام 1917 - ولكن ليس قبل الزواج من صديقته.

قاتل بيرغن مع الشركة كجزء من الفيلق الأسترالي في الجيش البريطاني في بلجيكا ، وبقي معهم حيث تم نقلهم إلى شمال فرنسا للمشاركة في هجوم السوم عام 1918. في صباح يوم 17 أكتوبر 1918 ، بالقرب من القديس سوبلت ، في حوالي الساعة 5:20 صباحًا ، كان يقود فرقة أخرى من فرقة المشاة رقم 105 (حيث تم إعادة تسمية كتيبته) عندما قُتل في أول هجوم مضاد ألماني خلال هجوم باتجاه نهر Le Selle. لقد تمت ترقيته للتو إلى رتبة نقيب في ذلك اليوم. كانت في جيبه صورة لابنه الذي لن يراه أبدًا: جون جونيور ، من مواليد 2 سبتمبر 1918. اختارت American Legion Post 39 تسمية نفسها على اسم النقيب بيرغن عندما تأسست في عام 1919.

ولد جيمس تي بيرغن في أمستردام في 25 أكتوبر 1886. طالب وأبرشية سانت ماري ، بعد التخرج كان وكيل تأمين. لم تتم إعادة جثته إلى أمستردام حتى عام 1921: فقد كان موجودًا في مخزن الأسلحة بأمستردام في 10 أبريل ، وكان يحرسه طوال الليل أعضاء من الشركة هـ. وفي صباح اليوم التالي ، تم نقل نعشه بواسطة غواص تجرها الخيول إلى كنيسة سانت ماري في موكب كامل ، ومن ثم لدفنه في مقبرة القديسة مريم بنفسه.

في عامي 1936 و 1956 ، نظر المجلس المشترك في تحويل الحديقة إلى موقف للسيارات. في عام 1956 ، تم اقتراح تسمية جزء على الجانب الشرقي من City Hall باسم Bergen Park. لم يتم تمرير أي من الاقتراحين ، في مواجهة معارضة قوية من المخضرمين. في عام 1967 ، أُعلن أنه سيتم التضحية بالمنتزه لبناء طريق 5 الشرياني الجديد. في عام 1974 ، نظر المجلس المشترك في إعادة تسمية حديقة مدينة أخرى إلى Coessens - Bergen Park بعد أن خسر المتنزهان لإعادة التطوير ، لكنه لم يفعل.

في مرحلة ما بعد ذلك ، عينت المدينة شريطًا صغيرًا من الأرض بالقرب من تقاطع السوق والشوارع الرئيسية باسم حديقة بيرغن.

تشير الملصق الصغير الموجود على اللافتات الحالية (بحجم ملصق بريدي صغير تقريبًا) إلى أن جاك وليزا بوتمان من شركة بوتمان للتأمين قد تبرع به ونصبه في ذكرى هاري دي بوتمان في عام 2006. وكان هاري بوتنام قد خدم مع جيمس بيرغن على الحدود المكسيكية عام 1916 لحماية حدود الولايات المتحدة من غارات بانشو فيلا. في وقت لاحق ، سافر معه مع شركة الحرس الوطني بأمستردام للخدمة في فرنسا في الحرب العالمية الأولى. حصل على وسام الخدمة المتميزة (ثاني أعلى جائزة في البلاد لشجاعة ساحة المعركة) (بالإضافة إلى الميدالية العسكرية البريطانية) لإنقاذ الرفاق من نيران العدو المباشر في نفس الإجراء العام الذي كلف بيرغن حياته. في وقت لاحق ، كان يقود منصب الفيلق الأمريكي المسمى على اسم صديقه ، ووجد شركة تأمين ناجحة لا تزال موجودة حتى اليوم ، ويعمل كعضو مجلس محلي للمدينة.

مجلس المدينة

يحتوي اللوبي على لوحة تحتوي على أسماء جميع الذين خدموا في الفرقة السابعة والعشرين (نيويورك) في الحرب العالمية الأولى. تدعو الخطط المستقبلية إلى إنشاء مدخل عسكري / قدامى المحاربين مع الصور والفن المتعلق بتاريخ أمستردام. من المقرر أيضًا تثبيت علامة في بئر السلم العلوي إلى ABLE NAN BLACK 45 ALTERNATE: الاسم الرمزي للهاتف لفيلق المراقبة الأرضية المدنية الذي كان يدير محطة إنذار مبكر في الخمسينيات على سطح قاعة المدينة قبل دفاعات الرادار في الشمال تم تطوير أمريكا.

حديقة كوسينس

في الأصل Ross 'Flat ، موقع السيرك ، ونيران البون فاير ، وواحدة من أخطر جرائم القتل في تاريخ أمستردام ، أصبح هذا الموقع على الطرف الشرقي من المدينة في أيدي الجمهور في وقت قريب من الحرب العالمية الأولى ، وتم تعيينه في East End Memorial Park بعد الحرب. خلال عشرينيات وثلاثينيات القرن الماضي ، تم تطوير الحديقة مع حلبة للتزلج على الجليد وملاعب بيسبول وملعب لكرة القدم ومضمار رماد وغيرها من المرافق. في عام 1933 ، تم تغيير اسم الحديقة إلى حديقة ماثيو جيه كوسينس التذكارية ، والتي سميت على اسم أول أمستردام في حالة وفاة في القتال في الحرب العالمية الأولى ، وقد تأخر التصنيف في حين بدا أن الحرم الجامعي السفلي لموهوكس ميلز قد يرغب في الحصول على العقار. تم تكريس النصب التذكاري لـ Coessens في أبريل 1935 ، وتم تخصيص لوحة وعمود مماثل لتكريم جميع قتلى الحرب في يوم الهدنة ، عام 1938. وجاء دفع ثمن النصبين من نفس صناديق الحرب التي شيدت النصب التذكاري للحرب العالمية ويست إند.

كان ماثيو كوسينس طالبًا شهيرًا وجيدًا في معهد سانت ماري عندما أقنع والديه ، السيد والسيدة فرانسيس كوسينس من 31 شارع موريس ، بالسماح له بالتجنيد في الجيش النظامي بعد شهر واحد من دخول الولايات المتحدة الحرب العالمية الأولى . في السابعة عشرة من عمره ، سيكون أحد أصغر الجنود من مقاطعة مونتغومري. قبل الشحن إلى Fort Ethan Allen ، فيرمونت ، للتدريب ، حصل على دبلوم المدرسة الثانوية ، على الرغم من أن الفصل الدراسي لم ينته بعد.

تم تعيينه في النهاية إلى السرية أ ، فوج المشاة السادس عشر ، في ما سيُعرف قريبًا بالفرقة الأولى ("الكبيرة الحمراء"). بعد الانتهاء من تدريبه الأولي ، انضم إلى وحدته في فرنسا في نوفمبر 1917 ، بعد أن أصبح الجيش السادس عشر مباشرة أول جندي مشاة أمريكي يشتبك مع العدو. بعد المشاركة في سلسلة من المعارك الدفاعية ، في مايو 1918 ، كان السادس عشر جزءًا من هجوم الحلفاء المضاد ، حيث تم الاستيلاء على كانتيني ، وهو إجراء تم الاستشهاد فيه بشجاعة Coessens. وفقًا لرسالة أرسلها قائد فرقته إلى والديه ، في 18 يوليو 1918 ، كانت السرية A جنوب غرب سواسون عندما "تجاوزت القمة" من الخنادق في الساعة 4:30 صباحًا. بحلول الساعة 7:00 صباحًا ، كانت قد عبرت حقل قمح تحت نيران كثيفة ، وأخذت الخط الألماني الأول وتم تعليقها عبر تشابك الأسلاك الثقيلة التي غطتها نيران المدفعية والمدافع الرشاشة. وفقًا لقبطانه ، كان هذا عندما قُتل Coessens. بشكل غريب ، تشير السجلات الرسمية إلى أن Coessens أصيب بجروح خطيرة في يوم 18 ، لكنها تذكره على أنه "قتل في المعركة" في 22 يوليو. في كلتا الحالتين ، كان أول أمستردام الذي يموت في القتال في "الحرب العظمى". ربما كان قائده يحاول تجنيب الأسرة فكرة أن كوزين بقي لعدة أيام.

وكان أعلى تكريم له هو كلمات قائده الذي ذكر أنه "كان جنديًا لا يمكن للجيش تحمل خسارته" ، وأنه كان على قدر أي مهمة ، وأن رفاقه وجدوا شخصيته راحة من بؤس الحياة في الخنادق. تم دفن ماثيو كوسينس في فرنسا حتى يمكن إعادته إلى عائلته في مايو من عام 1921. وكانت جنازته في سانت ماري وكان حاملو النعش من زملائه في المعهد الذين خدموا أيضًا في الحرب العالمية.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet، consectetur adipiscing elit. Suspendisse varius enim في eros elementum tristique. Duis cursus، mi quis viverra ornare، eros dolor ومن المثير للاهتمام أن النصب التذكاري Coessens يتضمن عبارة "... ورفاقه الذين قدموا التضحية العظمى 1914 - 1918" يبدو أن هذا يعترف بالأمسترداميين الذين خدموا في قوات الحلفاء (مثل كندا) قبل دخول أمريكا الحرب في عام 1917.nulla، ut Commodo diam Libero vitae erat. Aenean faucibus nibh et justo cursus id rutrum lorem imperdiet. Nunc ut sem vitae risus tristique posuere.

في عام 1967 ، تم بيع أحد عشر فدانًا من الحديقة لإنشاء حديقة صناعية الآن ، ولم يبق سوى حوض سباحة الأطفال وعلامتي النصب التذكاري.

بنات الثورة الأمريكية (دار) ماركر

هذه اللوحة ، المثبتة على الدعامة الجنوبية الشرقية للجسر الذي يحمل شارع فلوريدا فوق جنوب تشوكتاندا كريك ، تخلد ذكرى قوات ميليشيا نيويورك ، بقيادة العميد روبرت فان رينسلير ، التي أوقفت عند الجدول في ليلة 18 أكتوبر 1780. ، لانتظار طلوع القمر قبل تسلق تل تشوكتانوندا في محاولة للاشتباك مع القوات البريطانية وحزب المحافظين والأمريكيين الأصليين في غارة على وادي شوهاري. كانت العلامة البرونزية تبرعًا من فرع أمستردام لبنات الثورة الأمريكية ، وتم كشف النقاب عنها في عام 1927.

منتزه الجيش الكبير للجمهورية (GAR)

في عام 1951 ، طلب ممثلو منظمات قدامى المحاربين في المدينة من المدينة تخصيص حديقة للجيش الكبير للجمهورية. كانت هذه المنظمة من قدامى المحاربين في الاتحاد ، والتي سبقت منظمات قدامى المحاربين الحديثة ، لها تأثير اجتماعي وسياسي قوي لعقود بعد الحرب الأهلية ، ولكن بحلول الأربعينيات من القرن الماضي ، اختفت عضويتها تمامًا. وافق المجلس المشترك وتم تعيين العشب الجنوبي لمبنى البلدية على هذا النحو. أقيم حفل تكريس في 25 مايو 1952: أمطرت بغزارة لدرجة أنه كان لا بد من نقلها إلى بهو سيتي هول. في 28 يونيو 1953 ، كُشف النقاب عن لوحة تسجل التسمية على جدار من الطوب.

بعد عقود ، ولأسباب غير معروفة الآن ، تمت إزالة اللوحة ووضعها في مخزن قسم الترفيه. قبل ذلك ، تعهد موظف المدينة أنتوني ليجيرو بإعادة طلاءه وإعادة ختمه. بعد عدة سنوات ، صادفها مؤرخ المدينة ورتب وضعها على لوح من الجرانيت. تم ذلك في مايو 2016.

ساعد تعيين GAR Park الكثير في إنقاذ City Hall. بالعودة إلى 2010-11 ، اندلع نقاش حول ما إذا كان نقل وتأجير أو بناء موقع جديد أرخص. لم تكن اقتصاديات هذا الأمر جيدة على الإطلاق ، وقد ساءت كثيرًا عندما تمت الإشارة إلى أنه لا يمكن بيع نصف الممتلكات: الحدائق غير قابلة للتصرف بموجب دستور الدولة.

9-11 ميموريال

يصور النصب التذكاري لأمستردام 9-11 جانبًا محليًا فريدًا لتلك المأساة بطريقة لا توجد بها العديد من المعالم الأخرى وتشمل تلك التي تم تذكرها أعضاء الخدمة الذين ماتوا في ذلك اليوم. علاوة على ذلك ، تشمل شاشات العلم الراية البحرية الأولى للبحرية الأمريكية ، والتي أمرت بنقلها على متن جميع السفن الحربية الأمريكية بعد ذلك التاريخ حتى نهاية الحرب العالمية على الإرهاب ، والإشارة التقليدية للمستشفيات البحرية وسفن المستشفيات التي تم تغييرها. من "أنا على أهبة الاستعداد للمساعدة" إلى "أنا أقوم بالمساعدة" بشكل أكثر استباقية بعد الهجوم.

بالإضافة إلى ذلك ، تم اتباع تقليد بحري قديم يعود تاريخه إلى الإغريق القدماء عندما تم "تدبيس" أعمدة العلم وأعمدة الإنارة التذكارية: تم وضع عملات ذهبية من دار سك العملة الأمريكية تمثل كل موقع من المواقع المنكوبة أسفل قواعدهم.

تطل بوابة Mohawk Valley

بالإضافة إلى التاريخ المعروض على الجسر ، تتضمن أعمدة العلم المقترحة للموقع بندًا للطيران تحت علم المدينة ، وأعلام إشارة البحرية الأمريكية لـ N (نوفمبر) - U (UNIFORM) - G (GOLF) و B (BRAVO) ) ، إشارة الاتصال اللاسلكي والإشارة المرئية لـ USS Amsterdam (CL-101) ، طراد خفيف سمي على اسم المدينة التي خدمت في الأيام الأخيرة من الحرب العالمية الثانية.

نصب هاسنفوس التذكاري

كان ويليام هاسنفوس الابن شابًا لامعًا مهتمًا بالاتصالات والطيران عندما تخرج من مدرسة ويلبر لينش الثانوية في عام 1939. وكان مرشحًا طبيعيًا لفيلق الطيران بالجيش الأمريكي ، والذي انضم إليه بعد ذلك بوقت قصير. بحلول ديسمبر 1941 ، نظرًا لخبرته والتوسع السريع في الخدمة ، كان من المقرر ترقيته من الدرجة الأولى الخاصة (أو الفني من الدرجة الأولى) إلى رقيب أول ، والحصول على منزل إجازة عيد الميلاد. لم يحدث هذا الأخير.

في السابع من ديسمبر عام 1941 هاجم اليابانيون بيرل هاربور. كانت أهدافهم الأولى هي المطارات التي يمكنها الهجوم المضاد على أسطولهم. واحد من هؤلاء كان Hickam Field ، حيث كان القاذف الأكبر هو B-24 ، وهو الوحيد في هاواي ، والذي كان Hasenfuss يجري فحوصات تمهيدية. لقد أصبح ضحية واحدة من أولى القنابل في المعركة الأولى للحرب في المحيط الهادئ: ليس فقط أول مواطن أمستردام ، ولكن أيضًا من أوائل الأمريكيين الذين لقوا حتفهم.

في يوليو 1942 ، أعيد تصميم الملعب الواقع في شارع Upper Locust Avenue المعروف سابقًا باسم حقل Patricks ، William E. Hasenfuss ، Jr. Memorial Field. في وقت لاحق من الحرب ، عندما تم تعميد وإطلاق USS Amsterdam (CL-101) ، كانت والدة الرقيب Hasenfuss هي التي أرجحت زجاجة الشمبانيا.

في يوليو 1942 ، أعيد تصميم الملعب الواقع في شارع Upper Locust Avenue المعروف سابقًا باسم حقل Patricks ، William E. Hasenfuss ، Jr. Memorial Field. في وقت لاحق من الحرب ، عندما تم تعميد وإطلاق USS Amsterdam (CL-101) ، كانت والدة الرقيب Hasenfuss هي التي أرجحت زجاجة الشمبانيا.

في أوائل الخمسينيات من القرن الماضي ، توفي مدير الترفيه في المدينة الذي يحظى باحترام كبير ، أليكس إيزابيل ، بشكل غير متوقع وبدأت عملية جمع الأموال في إنشاء مجال دوري صغير في الجزء الشمالي من حقل هاسنفوس ، وقد تم إنجاز ذلك قريبًا. هناك قصة مفادها أن المنظمين أو مسؤولي المدينة قد اقتربوا من السيدة هاسنفوس وسألوها عما إذا كانت تمانع في إعادة تسمية الحقل لإيزابيل: "بعد كل شيء ، ماذا فعل ابنك حقًا للمدينة؟" قيل أنها أجابت: مات من أجلها. سواء كان هذا صحيحًا أم لا ، صرح القائم بأعمال مدير الاستجمام في عام 1953 أن ماسة البيسبول فقط هي التي ستسمى حقل إيزابيل ، والمراجع المبكرة هي "إيزابيل فيلد في هاسنفوس فيلد".

عندما وضع الحجر التذكاري لم يكن معروفًا بعد ، لكنه يصفه بأنه أحد أفراد القوات الجوية الأمريكية ، التي لم تكن موجودة حتى عام 1947.

مربعات مارنيل وبتروني وبرسيكو

هناك ثلاث تقاطعات طرق في المدينة تحمل اسم قدامى المحاربين:

تم تسمية ميدان مارنيل (حيث يلتقي شارع بريدج مع بوابة موهوك فالي غيتواي أوفرلوك) على اسم الرقيب التقني ريتشارد مارنيل ، الذي فاز بسباق الخدمة المتميز (ثاني أعلى وسام أمريكي) للبطولة في عمل المشاة خارج نانسي ، فرنسا ، في عام 1944.

تم تسمية ساحة باترون (الشوارع الرئيسية والكنيسة) على اسم ابن المهاجرين الإيطاليين الذين تخرجوا في ويست بوينت ، وأصبحوا من أوائل رواد الصواريخ في الجيش ، وبعد ذلك مدير إطلاق ميركوري وجيميني التابع لناسا وبعثات أبولو المبكرة ومدير أبولو اللاحق ، ومهمات Sky Lab.

تمت تسمية ساحة Persico على اسم Donato (Dan) Persico ، وهو ثاني رجل يتم إنقاذه من الغواصة الغارقة USS Squalus في عام 1939. في أول استخدام لسفينة إنقاذ في أعماق البحار ، تعطلت الخطوط ولم ينجح تقريبًا بعد أربع محاولات فاشلة ، كان لا بد من رفع الجرس يدويًا على الموصل الوحيد المتبقي ، وقد خدم لاحقًا في الحرب العالمية الثانية وكوريا ، وتقاعد كرجل طوربيد رئيسي وعاد إلى أمستردام للزواج من حبيبته.

حديقة سيرشيا

في يوم السبت 25 يونيو 1972 ، على الرغم من المطر والغيوم ، تم رفع العلم وتم تكريس النصب التذكاري لفرانك جون سيرشيا وبارك على الأرض التي كانت في السابق أرضًا لمستشفى City Memorial Hospital والتي تم تحويلها إلى ملعب عند المستشفى صعد إلى الطريق 30. حلقت طائرة نفاثة من سرب اعتراض المقاتلات 49 من Griffiss AFB في تشكيل "رجل مفقود".

في يوليو 1969 ، طلب فرانك جيه سيرشيا أمفيتس بوست 32 من المجلس المشترك إعادة تسمية الملعب بعد الجندي الذي يُعتقد أنه أول مواطن أمستردام يقتل على الأرض في فرنسا بعد يوم النصر. تم وضع حجر الأساس في أبريل 1971 ، وتم التصميم والبناء بشكل أساسي بواسطة AMVETS. كانت المواصفات الأصلية هي الأساس الخرساني السداسي ، وهو ارتفاع لبنة نسيج تعلوها قاعدة خرسانية مسبقة الصب ، تعلوها برج من الزجاج متعدد الألوان الذي سيضاء داخليًا في الليل. في أي وقت تم استبدال هذا البرج بمسلة الجرانيت العادية التي شوهدت اليوم ، لم يُعرف بعد.

تشير اللوحة الموجودة على النصب التذكاري إلى أنه قُتل في السادس من يونيو عام 1944 على شاطئ نورماندي. الأمر ليس كذلك. كعضو في الموجة الثانية من فرقة المشاة 29 المهاجمة ، ضرب شاطئ أوماها حوالي الساعة 11:00 في ذروة القتال على أخطر شواطئ D-Day. في الأيام التي أعقبت ذلك ، قام هو ورفاقه في السرية الأولى ، الكتيبة الثالثة ، المشاة رقم 115 بدفع رأس الجسر ، واستولوا على إيزيني ، وعبروا المنطقة التي غمرتها المياه ونهر إيل ، وكانوا يندفعون إلى مدينة سانت لو الرئيسية. مقاطعة بوكاج (السياج) ونيران المدفعية الألمانية الثقيلة ونيران المدافع الرشاشة من نفس المنطقة. هنا ، في 16 يوليو ، قُتلت سيرشيا أثناء القتال. جاء خبر وفاته بعد أن تلقى والديه خطابًا بتاريخ 12 يونيو يفيد بأنه كان مرتبطًا بشدة ولكن بشكل جيد ، ولكن قبل ورود أخبار عن مواطنين أمستردام الآخرين الذين ماتوا في D-Day أو بعد ذلك بوقت قصير.

ولدت Sirchia في أمستردام في 1 مارس 1924 ، للسيد والسيدة Samuel Sirchia من 12 شارع Bayard (بالقرب من النصب التذكاري). التحق بالمدارس العامة وكان خريجًا شرفًا من المدرسة الثانوية الفنية. قبل أن يتم تجنيده في مارس 1943 ، كان موظفًا في شركة أمستردام جلوف.

جسر بولاسكي

كان هذا الجسر ، الواقع في الجادة الرابعة فوق خور تشوكتاندا ، أول اتصال مناسب (وآمن) بين الأحياء البولندية وبارك هيلز في أمستردام. بُني في الأصل في عام 1931 ، وأعيد بناؤه في عام 2004. في البداية كانت هناك لوحتان من البرونز على الكتف الجنوبي الغربي من الجسر: إحداهما نصت على أنه تم تخصيصه باسم العميد كاسمير بولاسكي من الجيش القاري وأدرجت قائمة بالبناء المشاركين ، والثاني أضاف التفاصيل إلى قصة بولاسكي. تم استبدال اللوحة الثانية بلوحة أخرى توضح تفاصيل إعادة البناء في عام 2004 ، وتم تخزين اللوحة الأصلية في City Hall ، حيث يتم عرضها بشكل دوري.

كان بولاسكي نبيلًا بولنديًا وثوريًا حارب الهيمنة الروسية على بولندا. اضطر إلى المنفى ، جنده بنجامين فرانكلين لخدمة الاستقلال الأمريكي. بفضل الفضل في إنقاذ حياة جورج واشنطن في المعركة ، قام بتنظيم فيلق بولاسكي ويعتبر "والد سلاح الفرسان الأمريكي". أصيب بجروح قاتلة وهو يقود تهمة ضد البريطانيين بالقرب من سافانا ، جورجيا ، وتوفي في 11 أكتوبر 1780. وهو واحد من ثمانية أجانب فقط منحهم الكونجرس الجنسية الأمريكية الفخرية.

قدامى المحاربين & # x27 المجال

في عام 1920 ، اشترت مصانع السجاد Sanford and Sons خمسين فدانًا لإنشاء مرفق ترفيهي لموظفيها. واستمر خليفتها ، Bigelow-Sanford ، في ذلك حتى توقفت عن التصنيع في أمستردام في عام 1955. تم بعد ذلك التبرع بالأرض والتحسينات للمدينة. It was redesignated as Veterans Field in 1971.

On the northern, higher rise of Veterans’ Field (sometimes called Veterans’ Park), is a monument dedicated to and listing in alphabetical order those who died in service during World War II. Its central panel calls for “Honor and Glory to Our Dead Heroes.” Two flanking panes list the dead. The basic monument is polished black marble (with rusticated edges) and polished granite inserts.

In front of the memorial is a 57mm M1 anti-tank gun, built in 1943 based on a British design, and used in all theaters of World War Two by the US Army.

On the south side of the park is Amsterdam Veterans Memorial (see above)

West End Memorial Park

In addition to the several Liberty Loans that were raised in the city during the First World War, citizens were asked to contribute to a “war chest” to provide comfort to American and Allied soldiers. At the end of the war there was enough of a surplus to build this park as well as the East End Memorial Park (later, Coessens Park).

It was dedicated on November 29th, 1925. Rising from a granite exedra base with reliefs of flames, eagles’ head, and a wreath, with bronze plaque listed all from Amsterdam who served in the war. A life sized infantryman sculpted by David Cunningham Lithgow surmounts the monuments.

Park lighting was added in the later 1920s, and additional plaques in the 1940s. Well into the 2000s additional names were being added to the memorial. Also in the early 21st Century a fountain and larger flagpole were added.

In 1930, the name of the park was officially changed to “World War Memorial Park” but this next caught on with the public. In 1934, to the great embarrassment of the community, someone took down the American Flag and ran up the red banner of revolution. In 1970, arterial construction slated its destruction but public outcry saved it.

An important feature of the original park was a captured German cannon, locally called “Big Bertha:” this it was most certainly not. Dicke Bertha was much larger cannon, whose specifications exceeded even local exaggeration: only two were removed to the United States at the end of the war and both have been accounted for. It was most likely a long barrel 15cm schwere Feldhaubitze (lg 15cm sFH 13), the standard heavy gun of the German field artillery. When it was proposed to scrap it in World War II to “send it back to its creators in bombs and bullets,” many veterans objected but the mayor and director of civil defense prevailed. It was sent to a Cherry Street scrapyard where it was chopped up it ultimate destination is unknown.

At the request of the city, in 1950, the US Army supplied a replacement. This cannon, commonly misidentified as a French 75mm, is actually a US Army 3 inch Field Gun, M1903/5. Similar in appearance and purpose to the French 75, these were left behind in the overseas movements of World War One to standardize equipment and ammunition. Ironically, Amsterdam received a much rarer piece: over 3,500 15cm sFH 13 were built, but only 350 M1903/5. Of the latter only a handful survives, most in indoor museums: Amsterdam’s is one of the only surviving outdoor examples, and its appearance is a testament to the efforts of the city’s Recreation and Public Works staff. It is scheduled to be repainted to its original colors in the near future.

Other Sites

John J. Wyszomirski American Legion Post 701

Private John J. Wyszomirski of Jay Street, Amsterdam (sometimes also given as Jan Wyszomeirski) was originally a member of Company H (Amsterdam) 105th Infantry, 27th Division, but was serving with Company M, when he died in France on October 31, 1918.

After training at Camp Wadsworth, Spartanburg, South Carolina, his unit deployed to France in May, 1918. One of only two American divisions released to Allied control, it served in an Australian Corps in a British army in Belgium, first in defensive sectors, and then in the Ypres-Lys offensive. Transferred to Northern France, it fought in the Somme Offensive to break the Hindenburg Line at Bony, St. Quentin Tunnel, and Quillemont Farm. It later fought at the Le Selle and St. Maurice Rivers on the line of advance to Cambrai. Two days after he was mortally wounded his unit was pulled out of the line and did not return to battle before hostilities ceased.

The post will celebrate the 100th anniversary of its founding in 2019. Although only open to the general public on certain occasions, the “new headquarters” (1975) contains items regarding Wyszomirski and the post’s first one hundred years.

Soldiers & Sailors Monument, Green Hill Cemetery

Located in the south central section of the cemetery is an elevated plateau in the middle of which is a column topped by an American eagle and erected in 1872. The northern face of the base is inscribed in memory of those who died in the “War of the Rebellion,” The other three faces list battles regiments with a high proportion of Amsterdamians fought in. Most are immediately recognizable to any student of American history: West Point (Virginia), Fredericksburg, and Spotsylvania. One, Olustree (Florida), little known today, was of the bitterest one-day battles of the war, in which the 115th New York State Volunteer Infantry (NYSVI) fought. The other wasn’t actually a battle: Andersonville, the notorious Confederate prison, represents the plight of Amsterdamian who were POWs. Noticeably absent is any mention of Harpers Ferry, at which the brand-new 115th was surrendered as part of a Union army through no fault of its own. Paroled, it was sidelined as non-combatants until released from same. It thereafter fought with a vengeance to prove its valor, becoming known as the “Iron Hearted Regiment.” It became a “flying squad” of the Union armies, sent wherever the action was difficult or unusual.

Aligned with the northern face of the base are stairs leading up to the rise. At the other cardinal points are stones that memorialize service members buried elsewhere or whose bodies were not recovered. There are two circles of stones around the monument: in the inner circle are soldiers who died in the war, the outer, those who died after the war but wanted to be buried with their comrades. On line with the axis of the northern base and stairs in the inner circle is the headstone of Captain Elisha S. Young, commander, Company D, 32nd NYSVI, who was killed in action at West Point, Virginia in 1862: the first Amsterdamian officer to die in the war. The first Grand Army of the Republic (GAR) post of Union veterans formed in Amsterdam was named for him after many of its founders had been involved in creating the memorial.

Civil War Monument, Fairview Cemetery

In the north central section of the cemetery is a very unusual appearing Civil War cannon next to a pile of cannon balls and a flagpole.

Soon after the creation of the cemetery in 1899, local Civil War veterans determined to create a monument to their comrades as they had done previously at Green Hill Cemetery. The secured a cannon from the Washington Navy Yard, and the money to ship it was raised by a series of travelogues given by Reverend Putnam Cady, of the Emmanuel Presbyterian Church on Guy Park Avenue. These were not just normal travel talks: Cady was a pioneer of archeology in the Holy Land, and one of only a few Americans elected to the Royal Geographical Society.

The monument was dedicated October 16, 1906.

The cannon began life as an 11 inch Dahlgren spherical shell gun after the war, the navy needed to reequip with rifled shell guns, but there was limited funding available, so some 11 inch guns were converted to 8 inch rifles. These resemble their original designs, but are not. Very few modified guns still exist. This one sailed twice around the world before coming to rest here. The breech has a red ring painted around it and the spherical shells piled nearby (actually for the original, not modified gun) are painted in an early “idiot-proofing” measure: See red, load red.

Spanish American War Memorial, Green Hill Cemetery

Also on the south side of Green Hill cemetery, but further east, is a grouping of headstones of soldiers and sailors who served is the Spanish American War. It is marked by a flagpole flying an American flag. In the center is what appears to be an oversized machine gun, and in some ways it actually is. It’s a US Navy Mark VI one pounder rapid fire gun, designed by the inventor of the modern machine gun, Hiram Maxim, and built circa 1895, by Vickers, Sons, and Maxim. It could fire 100 37mm rounds per minutes to a range of 4,500 yards. When it was placed there is uncertain, but probably not earlier than 1910, when the US Navy began replacing these with more modern ordnance.

It’s possible the donor was Stephan Sanford, the mill owner, in conjunction with the local post of the United Spanish War Veterans which named its organization in honor of him. Although Sanford had left West Point to help run the family mill and never was commissioned, he was called “General” around the city and much regarded by Spanish American War veterans.

Forty-Sixth Separate Company Armory

Amsterdam’s “castle” sits on a hill on the South Side, visible from many parts of the city. Built in 1894, it was the home of what was originally called the 46th Separate Company of the National Guard of the State of New York. Situated and fortified so that its volunteer members could rapidly assemble, arm, and deploy to protect the Mohawk River bridge and rail yards in case of social or labor unrest. This was never needed, but the command (under several changing designations) was called out numerous times for state service elsewhere, and for federal service in the Spanish American War, on the Mexican Border (1916), and in both world wars. Military activities continued there into the 1980s, when force reductions made the structure surplus. After two sales as a private residence, it is now being rebuilt as a high scale “destination event” bed and breakfast. It is anticipated that the lobby and certain rooms will retain their original ornate character.

The armory is listed on the National and State Registers of Historic Places.

Polish American Veterans (PAV)

53 Church Street was once the circa 1860s home of a prominent city businessman and his physician brother. Since 1961, it has been the headquarters of PAV, established by returning Polish-American veterans in 1946. Once, just one of over twenty veterans’ organizations in the city: now it is one of only two.

While normally only open to members and guests, several times a year the public is invited in and it’s possible to see over seventy years of veteran activities and memorabilia. Chief of these is the Lista Honorowa, (Honor Roll) hand painted on wood for the Filius Polonais (Sons of Poland) in 1919. Always visible out front of the post is a stone honoring the Henry Schotte Post 118 of the Military Order of the Purple Heart (MOPH), which met for many years at the PAV.

The Henry F. Schotte Chapter was founded locally before the Second World War, although the national organization was not chartered by Congress until 1958. Henry F. Schotte was the son of prominent Amsterdam banker, contractor, and businessman Kuno B. Schotte (1872-1954) (President, Grieme Lumber and Supply, Green Hill Cemetery, Chamber of Commerce contractor for the YMCA, Children’s Home, Home for Elderly Ladies, and many mill buildings and Vice President, Montgomery County Trust Company bank). Private Henry Schotte, first generation German-American, was killed in action July 20th 1918, while assigned to Company K, 18th Infantry, 1st Division, near Chateau Thierry, in one of the first American ground combats of the First World War.

Schotte grew up on Minaville Road, and was living with his bride in a new house on Grieme Avenue when he volunteered for the Regular Army in order to see action as soon as possible. At the time of his death he was believed to have been killed on the same day and in the same battle as Matthew Coessens, for whom Coessens Park was named (Coessens actually died two days earlier). Schotte is buried in Green Hill Cemetery.

Saint Mary's Roman Catholic Church

The “Liberty” stained glass window (sometimes called the “Freedom” window) was dedicated and blessed on Sunday, June 10th, 1945, in honor of those who were serving or missing or killed, followed by a solemn mass. Many military, veteran, and religious organizations participated, and a drum and bugle sounded off during the elevating of the chalices.

Saint Stanislaus Cemetery

In the southeastern portion of the cemetery, there is a flagpole and two stones on one base, one in English, one in Polish, dedicated to the dead of World War One. In front is a semicircle of headstones, including that of John Wyszomirski, for whom American Legion Post 701 is named. The stones were dedicated May 30, 1928 by the Saint Michaels’ Society (St. Michael’s Roman Catholic Church) On the same base is also a salute or signal gun, sometimes also called a yacht cannon. It was designed with a top-loading breech which accepts small caliber blank charges, and was fired by a lanyard pull on a trigger.

Ukranian Veterans Monument

When the local Ukrainian social organization shuttered its club house operation, one of its leaders designed and invested in the placement of three large tablets in Saint Nicholas’ Ukrainian Catholic Cemetery. The third stone honors Ukrainian-American veterans. All were erected and dedicated in 2011.

Wilbur Lynch School

Now the city’s middle school, formerly its high school. Two memorial stones are placed by a tree and a flag near the stairway leading up the hill to the front entrance. One states that the Student Council of the Class of 1968 dedicated the grounds to those who gave their lives while serving in Vietnam. The other lists the names of fourteen alumni who were killed in action during the years 1966 – 1969.

استنتاج

For years, these monuments have served as a focal point for the community: the start or ending points for memorial parades and events.

Whereas once Amsterdam had over twenty veterans’ organizations, now it has only two. American Legion Post 701 and the Polish American Veterans, who cooperate with Girl and Boy Scouts, and local school classes, work to ensure that each veteran’s grave or veterans’ memorial is appropriately honored each year.

A diverse community, Amsterdam is proud, and remembers, the devotions and sacrifices of it sons and daughters: whatever their background: when called, they were all Americans.

The information in this article is as accurate as known in April, 2018. For Corrections and additions to this article please contact the City Historian RobertVon Hasseln.


الحرب العالمية الثانية

10 th of May, 1940. The Germans invaded the Netherlands. Many lives were taken due to starvation and as a result of the deportation of the Jews to Nazi concentration camps. The house of Anne Frank where she and her family were hiding, is one the most popular attractions nowadays. Amsterdam lost 10 percent of its inhabitants.

After the Second World War, many new suburbs were built around Amsterdam. The society changed, many people moved to the suburbs. At the same time, the population grew because of a lot of Surinamese, Turkish and Morocco immigrants. The city center of Amsterdam got restored and restoration is still ongoing. Many of its buildings have become monuments. In july 2010, the 3 main canals (Herengracht. Keizersgracht and Prinsengracht) were added to the UNESCO World Heritage List.


1813-1940: Recovery and Expansion beyond the Singelgracht

The period 1813-1940 is marked by economic recovery and, from 1870 onwards, by expansion. The increasing wealth brought about a rapid population growth. This development was primarily the result of the Industrial Revolution which triggered off a New Golden Age. The city now ventured into the area beyond the Singelgracht. Large poorly built working-class neighbourhoods were built. The period 1920-1940 was a time of economic recession. Therefore it is all the more remarkable that the so-called Ring 20-40 compares favourably to the 19th century jerry-building. This was also the period of large-scale damage to the historical city centre canals were filled in and new traffic breakthroughs were realised.

This website uses cookies. You can read more about it here.
By further using this website, you agree with cookies.


اقتصاد

The history of the Netherlands can never be narrated without talking about Amsterdam. For hundreds of years, the economy of Amsterdam has been driven by the Amsterdam waterways. While the city’s waterways played its part, beer and herring also helped usher the city into the Dutch Golden Age. In 1323, the city acquired the exclusive right to import beer from Hamburg. This gave the city an important trade monopoly in Holland. The herring trade had traditionally been in the hands of the Baltic Sea countries, but because the herring were going to spend their mating time in the North Sea instead of the Baltic Sea, Amsterdam had the opportunity to interfere. Moreover, at that time the herring jaws were invented. This is an old Dutch method of removing the entrails of the herring immediately after the catch to keep it fresh for longer. This allowed the fishermen to catch more fish and thus make more profit.

The Dutch East India Company (V.O.C) also plays a major role in the flourishing of Amsterdam. The V.O.C. was one of the first multinationals in the 17th century. The company sailed to India with ships and brought spices and herbs to the Netherlands. The merchants brought these spices from afar and stored them in large warehouses. These warehouses were important because merchants needed them to store their wares. If they sold everything in one go, they would receive less money than if they sold it in smaller quantities.


Slow Growth - Early 1700's

During the early decades of the 1700s waves of Scotch-Irish and German Palatine immigrants begin to pour into the Mohawk Valley bypassing the Amsterdam area for points further west or in the Schoharie Valley: the land of the future city is rocky and steep it's very close to the baronial holdings of the powerful Johnson family there are fraudulent land claims hotly contested by the Mohawks. The few who do settle here are insulated from the worst effects of the American Revolution on the New York frontier: they don't represent a large target, the Loyalists and Indians are hesitant to raid too far east of the Schoharie Creek, and the Loyalist Johnson family is hoping to reclaim its property (intact) when the war ends. After the war, Veddersburg (as it is now known after an early family) grows very slowly, a handful of mills, shops, and stores to attend to the needs of nearby farming communities. For a long time Amsterdam is smaller than Cranesville, due east of it, which remains about the same size today as it was then. Very little changes except the name: tradition has it that in 1804 Amsterdam is chosen in honor of early Dutch settlers (it may have also been thought a good idea to take the same name as the recently created township in which it was located, hoping to become the seat of government).


History of Amsterdam

Although modern historians do not exclude the possibility that during the Roman period some form of settlement existed at the mouth of the Amstel River, no evidence of one has ever been found. So far as is known, Amsterdam originated as a small fishing village in the 13th century ad . To protect themselves from floods, the early inhabitants had to build dikes on both sides of the river, and about 1270 they built a dam between these dikes.

Even then, merchant ships from Amsterdam sailed as far as the Baltic Sea and laid the foundation of the future trade centre, acting as a link between northern Europe and Flanders (now northern Belgium and northern France). The city was under the jurisdiction of the counts of Holland, one of whom, Count Floris V, granted the homines manentes apud Amestelledamme (“people living near the Amstel dam”) a toll privilege in 1275. This document mentions the name Amsterdam for the first time, though a full charter was not granted until 1306. The city rapidly extended its business, and in 1489, as a sign of gratitude for the support given by the city to the Burgundian-Austrian monarchs, Emperor Maximilian I allowed Amsterdam to adorn its armorial bearings with the imperial crown. By then Holland’s greatest commercial town and port, as well as the granary of the northern Netherlands, Amsterdam had become a centre of wealth and influence in Europe.

After the Netherlands passed to the Spanish crown in the 16th century, a religious and political rebellion against Spanish oppression spread across the region. Amsterdam hesitated to join the rebellion led by William I (the Silent), prince of Orange, but in 1578 there was a bloodless revolution in the city. The magistrates, together with the majority of Roman Catholic priests, were deported the religious orders and communities were secularized the Dutch Reformed church effectively replaced the Roman Catholic church and Amsterdam joined the Dutch rebellion against Spain.

Amsterdam was still a small city with no more than about 30,000 inhabitants, but things changed quickly, especially in 1585, when Spanish troops recaptured Antwerp (in modern Belgium), then the dominant port and commercial centre of the Netherlands. Dutch forces responded by blockading the Schelde River, Antwerp’s only access to the sea. The fall of Antwerp led to a wholesale influx of mainly Protestant refugees into the towns of the northern Netherlands, especially Amsterdam. Their arrival enriched the city’s intellectual, cultural, and commercial life. Banking and shipbuilding especially flourished. Much of the trade formerly concentrated in Antwerp then moved to Amsterdam, and along with the Flemish merchants soon came hundreds of Jews expelled from Portugal, followed by their coreligionists from the area of modern Germany and eastern Europe. The city soon became a trading metropolis, whose population more than tripled between 1565 and 1618. Merchant ships from Amsterdam not only sailed to the Baltic and the Mediterranean but also plied the long sea route to the East Indies and established colonies in South America and southern Africa.

At this time, the still outwardly medieval town developed into a big city, and in 1612 the city council decided upon a new extension—the Three Canals Plan. Furthermore, the city needed a new and stately city hall, and the architect Jacob van Campen was commissioned to build one on Dam square in the shadow of the New Church. In 1632 the Athenaeum Illustre (which became the University of Amsterdam in the 19th century) was erected. When the Treaty of Münster ended the Eighty Years’ War (1568–1648) with Spain, Amsterdam was the financial, trading, and cultural centre of the world, lending money to foreign kings and emperors and thus exerting political influence internationally.

Conflict between the city council and other political forces in the Dutch republic was inevitable because the country was effectively no longer ruled by the States General in The Hague but by a small elite of magistrates and merchants in Amsterdam. This situation led to political difficulties with William II, prince of Orange, who in 1650 planned to besiege the city. Amsterdam, nevertheless, maintained its dominant position for many years. Decline gradually came in the 18th century London and Hamburg surpassed Amsterdam as trade centres, and London became the financial heart of Europe. Amsterdam was occupied in 1787 by the Prussians, who backed the policy of William V, prince of Orange. The French, welcomed as liberators in 1795, brought freedom, but within a few years trade and shipping nearly stopped because of Napoleon’s embargo on trade with Britain. In 1806 Napoleon proclaimed the Netherlands a kingdom, with Amsterdam as its capital, but by 1810 the country was incorporated into the French Empire. Russian Cossacks drove out the French and entered the city in 1813, and, on March 30, 1814, William VI, prince of Orange, was inaugurated as William I, king of the Netherlands, in Amsterdam’s New Church.


10x Fascinating Amsterdam History Facts That Will Amaze You

Learn more about the most liberal city in the world and check out these amazing Amsterdam history facts that will blow your mind.

1 | Amsterdam History Facts: Canal Ring

The Brouwersgracht.

Did you know that Amsterdam’s world famous canal ring got its spot on the UNESCO world heritage list only as recently as 2010? Even though the unique canal construction functioned as an inspiration for the construction of Saint Petersburg in Russia. All in all Amsterdam has around 100 kilometers of canals and is considered to be the Venice of the North.

Especially in the past, the canals where used for transportation of products. While nowadays it’s mostly used for recreational purposes.

2 | Amsterdam History Facts: Royal Palace Dam Square

Amsterdam’s Royal Palace is open for public and a must-see!

When construction of this massive palace was completed this building was actually the largest non-religious structure in Europe. Built during the hight of power of the Dutch Republic the building was intended to showcase Holland’s arrival and simultaneous domination of the world’s oceans and trade. The outside of the building looks quite austere, to see the glory of this building one must enter it. When the building isn’t in use for Royal or public functions the people can visit. A must for anyone visiting Amsterdam. During our history tour we’ll pass by this unique attraction and tell you more about its rich history.

3 | Amsterdam History Facts: Van Gogh

Vincent van Gogh as an hot-air balloon.

The Dutch master painter Van Gogh was largely self-taught. Only for a short period of around four months did he receive formal artistic training. And that happened only a few years before his death. Did you know that this famous painter actually lived in Amsterdam? During the Amsterdam History Tour we’ll show you the first church that Van Gogh visited when he arrived in Amsterdam.

4 | Amsterdam History Facts: Rembrandt van Rijn

The famous Night Watch painting on display in the Rijksmuseum.

Despite his initial large success Rembrandt in the end died in poverty. By the late 1640’s he had spent his large fortune. Failing to pay his mortgage he declared bankruptcy. He sold his house and many other belongings and moved into a smaller home together with his family. He never recovered financially from this.

هل كنت تعلم that he got married in Amsterdam’s oldest building?

5| Amsterdam History Facts: Anne Frank

Anne Frank statue in Amsterdam.

Did you know that Anne Frank actually wasn’t Dutch? Her parent fled from Germany due to rampant anti-semitism in the country and the poor economic conditions. Anne Frank’s story fits into Amsterdam’s history of being a shelter for those being persecuted throughout Europe. Unfortunately Amsterdam ended being a safe haven when the Germans invaded the Netherlands on May 10, 1940.

6 | Amsterdam History Facts: Red Light District

Amsterdam’s Wallen area.

Did you know that most windows are lit up in red in the Red Light District but some some windows are actually lit up in blue? When you see a blue lit window brothel during your visit chances are that there’s a transexual prostitute standing in the window brothel. But why do all the regular prostitutes have red lights to begin with? Well, red lights actually hides imperfections on the skin of the prostitutes. It makes them prettier. Also decades ago, prostitutes used red lights to hide STD’s.

7 | Amsterdam History Facts: Drugs Facts

Users can get their illegal XTC tested legally in the Netherlands.

The Netherlands is currently the number one ecstasy producing nation of the world. If you look at history this country has been a major drugs producer or dealer ever since the inception of the first Dutch Republic back in 1588. You can learn more about the rich history of drugs and the Netherlands during our Amsterdam Drugs Tour.

8 | Amsterdam History Facts: Dutch Stock Exchange

The first dedicated stock exchange building in the world.

The modern stock exchange was actually invented in Amsterdam. The Dutch invented stocks. Trading first started on a bridge close to current Amsterdam Central train station. During our Amsterdam History Tour our licensed guide will point you to the actual bridge and the building where they kept on trading when it rained.

9 | Amsterdam History Facts: The VOC, World’s First Corporation

A replica of a VOC ship in the Rijksmuseum.

A stock exchange isn’t much without actual stocks. With the creation of the VOC, world’s first corporation, they also created the first publicly traded company. As soon as the first stock certificates were handed out trading started on the streets.

10 | Amsterdam History Facts: House Boats

At this time there are around 3000 houseboats in Amsterdam. The history of houseboats in Amsterdam can be traced back as far as the 16th century. Plenty of locals still live in these unique dwellings. You could also rent one via Airbnb for your stay in Amsterdam.


The Amsterdam Canals: A History

While walking around Amsterdam you can’t help but notice the canals, and just how beautiful they are. The main Canal ring was made a UNESCO world heritage site in 2010 and this year they celebrate their 400th birthday and will play a big part in the Amsterdam 2013 celebrations throughout the year.

Image: Amsterdam Municipal Department for the Preservation and Restoration of Historic Buildings and Sites (bMA)

The canals have a rich history starting 400 years ago and were part of the economic and cultural boom during the 17th Century. The three canals which comprise the canal belt are the Herengracht, Prinsengracht and the Keizersgracht. Originally constructed in the Golden Age, the canal belt was built to improve the infrastructure of the city, to allow for new development and was part of a project to turn Amsterdam into a port city.

In 1602 the Dutch East India Trading company (or VOC) was born and this led to a massive boom in maritime trade, shipping goods from all corners of the globe. Because of this Amsterdam became one of Europe’s most important cities, which led to an influx of immigrants seeking wealth.

It attracted many highly skilled craftsmen, the political elite and the artistic elite. By 1685 Amsterdam’s per Capita income was four times that of Paris, which led to a huge boom in real-estate development along the canals during the 17th and 18th Centuries, many of which are still there today.

In 1621 the West Indies Company was formed, and this meant that the Dutch became the centre of the slave trade between the West Coast of Africa, the Americas and the West Indies. At one point the WIC was the second biggest trader of slaves in this area, it wasn’t until 1790 that they stopped trading because of abolitionists and slave rebellions. This year Amsterdam will be celebrating 150 years since the abolition of slavery.

Image: Klovenier Burgwal (canal) Amsterdam Holland

By the 19th century the city was in decline. The maritime trade suffered because of wars with France and England, and at first paying the French and English to maintain the freedom of the seas seemed like a good idea, but very quickly the costs mounted up, leaving Amsterdam stripped of its wealth.

This also meant a huge increase in poverty for Amsterdam, and several freezing winters caused transport problems which quickly led to food shortages. With Britain blockading the coast because of their support in the American war of Independence, the British very quickly started to attack Dutch trading posts around the world which led to the dissolving of both the Dutch East India, and Dutch West India trading companies.

Today, the canals are host to many colourful events, most notably Queen’s day and Gay Pride both featuring lots of music, festivities and dancing. With all of the celebrations going on in Amsterdam this year, the Canal festival in August is set to be a highlight, with both indoor and outdoor performances of classical music in different locations all over the city.

The best way to explore the city’s canals is on the water and there are several boat companies offering different packages, so you can experience the canals both during the day and at night. If you’re looking for a bit more of an adventure though, from April onwards you can learn how to paddleboard in the Ij and on Amsterdam’s canals (although it’s closed during the winter, because nobody wants to fall into the freezing water).

There are also exhibitions going on throughout the year around Amsterdam where you can learn about the vast history of the canals, but the best place to learn about it is at the Museum Het Grachtenhuis (Museum of the Canals), where they have an interactive exhibition where 400 years of history is covered in just 40 minutes. It is also a canal house built in the 17th Century and inhabited by many wealthy traders over the years, so the house is a piece of Golden Age history in itself.The Amsterdam Museum is also exhibiting the story of the Golden Age where you can learn about the economic prosperity during the 17th Century, which is running until August 2013.

So, the canals have seen it all. From the rise and fall of the Dutch East India company, to the present day, all without really changing that much. It is rare that a piece of history this old still works as it would have done 400 years ago (though with much less traffic), and still maintain its beauty. Here’s to 400 more years.


Water cleanliness in Amsterdam canals

Watermanagement is still the most important function of our canals. Without them, the city would drown. Circulating the water is also vital for sanitary reasons. In the days when windmills had to do the job, the stench of the water could become unbearable in periods with little wind or rain. One canal was even filled in for its stench by Royal Decree, from the only King who ever lived in Amsterdam.

Napoleon Bonaparte's brother Louis was King of Holland between 1806 and 1811. He had City Hall on Dam Square rebuilt to be his palace. The stench of the canal behind the palace kept his wife Constance from her sleep, so he ordered it to be filled in to make a "smart and respectable Avenue" The name of that street is still 'Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal', which translates into: "Front defence moat on the new side".

Today, the water in the canals is cleaner than it has ever been in their history. Three times a week, 14 of the 16 existing waterlocks around the city close up, so clean water can be pumped in from the big lake IJsselmeer. The current that creates pushes the dirty canalwater out through the open locks on the other side of the city. Specialized cleaning boats with big scoops and nets patrol frequently to clean surface dirt. Since 2005, all the houseboats in the city are connected to the sewer system.
The cleaner water has attracted life. About 20 different species of fish and crabs live a healthy life below the surface. That bounty attracts waterbirds like herrons, ducks, coots, gulls and recently even cormorants.

This website uses cookies. You can read more about it here.
By further using this website, you agree with cookies.


شاهد الفيديو: نهاية عصر هيمنة الميرنجي و أياكس امستردام يعود بشخصيته التاريخية في دوري الأبطال! (شهر اكتوبر 2021).