معلومة

تاريخ بورتلاند بولاية مين


تقع بورتلاند ، أكبر مدينة وأهم ميناء بحري في ولاية ماين ، على خليج كاسكو ، على بعد 110 أميال شمال شرق بوسطن. تقع بورتلاند على شبه جزيرة يبلغ طولها ثلاثة أميال وعرضها ميل واحد ، بالإضافة إلى شبه جزيرة أخرى إلى الشرق (مدينة ديرينغ المستقلة سابقًا) وبعض أراضي وجزر البر الرئيسي. استقرت بورتلاند لأول مرة في عام 1632 ، لكنها عانت من الغارات الهندية. في 1675 و 1690 خلال حرب الاستقلال ، قصف البريطانيون بورتلاند وأحرقوها ، ولكن أعيد بناؤها في عام 1786 ، وحصل مين على الاستقلال عن ماساتشوستس في عام 1820 وأصبحت بورتلاند عاصمة ولاية ماين ، واحتفظت بهذا الموقع حتى عام 1831. الحرب الأولى ، لكنها انتعشت لاحقًا ، ولد الشاعر هنري وادزورث لونجفيلو في بورتلاند عام 1807 ، فيما يُعرف الآن باسم منزل وادزورث-لونجفيلو ، الذي بناه جده الجنرال بيليج وادزورث في حوالي عام 1785. تحتفظ جمعية مين التاريخية بالمنزل كمتحف. ولد كورتيس في بورتلاند عام 1850 ، وغادر في سن السادسة عشرة سعياً وراء ثروته. الشرطان الذي قدمه هما أن يتم بناؤه من قبل شركة أوستن أورغن في هارتفورد وأن يكون نصبًا تذكاريًا لهيرمان كوتزشمار. كان Kotzschmar ، المهاجر الألماني الذي كان لمدة 47 عامًا عازف الأرغن في الكنيسة الأبرشية الأولى Unitarian Universalist في بورتلاند ، صديقًا مقربًا لعائلة Curtis عندما جاء لأول مرة إلى بورتلاند في عام 1849 ، لدرجة أن الاسم الكامل للناشر كان Cyrus هيرمان كوتشمار كورتيس. لا يزال جهاز Kotzschmar التذكاري سمة من سمات قاعة مدينة بورتلاند حتى يومنا هذا ، حيث تم افتتاح مستشفى مين العام في عام 1874 بسعة 40 سريرًا. تبع ذلك مستشفى مين للعيون والأذن في عام 1890 ، ومستشفى الأطفال في عام 1908. في عام 1951 ، اندمج الثلاثة ليصبحوا مركز مين الطبي. افتتحت أبرشية بورتلاند الكاثوليكية مستشفى كوينز في عام 1918 لرعاية ضحايا وباء الأنفلونزا عام 1918. وكانت تديره راهبات الرحمة وأصبحت فيما بعد مستشفى الرحمة. تأسس متحف بورتلاند للفنون في عام 1882 وهو أكبر فن عام متحف في ولاية مين. تأسست كلية الفنون في مين عام 1882 كمساعد لمتحف الفن ، وهي أقدم مؤسسة تعليمية للفنون في ولاية ماين.


تاريخ بورتلاند ، مين - التاريخ

حول فالماوث - الأصول الاستعمارية

"عالم على الحافة": من الموشيكوا إلى نيو كاسكو

يبدأ تاريخ فالماوث مع الأمريكيين الأصليين الذين استقروا في المنطقة منذ حوالي 14000 عام بعد ذوبان الأنهار الجليدية في نهاية العصر الجليدي الأخير. تشير الأدلة الأثرية إلى أن الزراعة جاءت لأول مرة في المنطقة بين الأعوام 1300-1400 م. بحلول الوقت الذي أجرى فيه المستكشف الفرنسي صموئيل دي شامبلان اتصالًا أوروبيًا في المنطقة في عام 1605 ، حدد الأشخاص الذين يعيشون بين نهر أندروسكوجين وكيب آن ، ماساتشوستس على أنهم & # 8220Almouchiquois. & # 8221 داخل Almouchiquois ، كابتن فرقة شبه مستقلة دعا جون سميث & # 8220Aucocisco & # 8221 يسكن خليج Casco. لاحظ المستكشف الإنجليزي كريستوفر ليفيت في عام 1623 أن زعيمهم (المعروف باسم ساغامور) Skitterygusset ، أقام في Presumpscot Falls. عانى الموشيكوا من مأساتين قبل الاستيطان الإنجليزي مما منع العلماء من معرفة الكثير عنهما. أولاً ، الحرب مع Micmacs في الشمال في صراع وصفه العلماء لاحقًا بأن حرب Tarrentine جلبت الهزيمة والموت إلى هنود ماين الجنوبيين. ثانيًا ، حصد وباء بين عامي 1616-1919 أرواح ما يزيد عن 90٪ من السكان الأصليين في نيو إنجلاند و 8217. عندما بدأ الإنجليز في الاستقرار في خليج كاسكو في ثلاثينيات القرن السادس عشر ، بقيت في المنطقة فقط بقايا من الموشيكوا الناطقين بلغة ألجونكوين.

تميزت السنوات الأولى لفالماوث & # 8217s بالعنف الشديد لأنها تقع على منطقة حدودية بين الأوروبيين والأمريكيين الأصليين. يمثل خليج كاسكو أقصى نقطة في شمال مستوطنة اللغة الإنجليزية في القرن الثامن عشر. عاشت قبائل أبيناكي القوية الممتدة إلى كندا الفرنسية إلى الغرب والشمال من فالماوث. حروب عديدة بين 1675-1763 بين الإنجليز والفرنسيين والأمريكيين الأصليين نادرا ما تركت فالماوث سالما من العنف. تخلى الإنجليز مرتين عن خليج كاسكو كليًا تحت ضغط من الهجمات الفرنسية والهندية في 1676 و 1690.

كان آرثر ماكوورث أول مقيم أوروبي في المدينة رقم 8217 ، حيث بنى منزلًا في ثلاثينيات القرن السادس عشر على نهر بريشامبسكوت. اتبع المستوطنون الإنجليز في وقت لاحق مثال Mackworth & # 8217s من خلال الاستقرار في Presumpscot ، على مقربة من الجزء الأكبر من السكان الإنجليز في شبه الجزيرة المعروفة باسم Casco (الآن بورتلاند). كانت حدود اليوم & # 8217s Falmouth معروفة باسم & # 8220New Casco ، & # 8221 وكانت قرية داخل مستوطنة Casco الأكبر. ستعرف بلدة فالماوث الحالية باسم & # 8220New Casco & # 8221 حتى انفصلت بورتلاند في عام 1786.

على الرغم من أن المدينة كانت تُعرف باسم New Casco ، إلا أنه خلال هذه الفترة المبكرة أصبح اسم Falmouth لأول مرة مرتبطًا بالمنطقة. في عام 1658 ، سيطرت مستعمرة خليج ماساتشوستس على ولاية مين ، على الرغم من المقاومة المحلية. أعادت ولاية ماساتشوستس تسمية مستوطنات خليج كاسكو & # 8220Falmouth & # 8221 بعد معركة مهمة في الحرب الأهلية الإنجليزية التي وقعت في فالماوث ، إنجلترا. ربما اختارت ماساتشوستس الاسم & # 8220Falmouth & # 8221 للاحتفال بغزوها لولاية مين ، مما يعكس رمزياً انتصار القوات البرلمانية على الملكيين في فالماوث ، إنجلترا عام 1646. يُعرف باسم & # 8220Falmouth on Casco Bay & # 8221 لتمييزه عن Falmouth في كيب كود ، شملت حدود المدينة الأصلية كيب إليزابيث وجنوب بورتلاند وويستبروك وبورتلاند والمدينة الحالية

في محاولة لتحسين العلاقات مع الأمريكيين الأصليين المحليين ، بنى الإنجليز حصنًا يسمى New Casco في عام 1700 بناءً على وصية من السكان المحليين Abenakis الذين رغبوا في مكان مناسب لتجارة وإصلاح أسلحتهم. سيكون موقع الحصن اليوم مقابل مقبرة باين جروف على الطريق 88. عزز اجتماع 1701 بين المسؤولين المحليين من أبيناكي بيجواكتس والمسؤولين الاستعماريين في ماساتشوستس التحالف بين الشعبين. تم نصب زوج من الأحجار الحجرية كرموز لهذه الصداقة. تلقت جزر Two Brothers القريبة من الشاطئ في وقت لاحق اسمها من هذا النصب المنسي منذ زمن طويل. لسوء الحظ ، لن يستمر السلام مع اندلاع حرب الملكة آن في المنطقة بعد ذلك بعامين. أرسل الفرنسيون الميليشيات Micmac و Mohawk والفرنسية للإغارة على ساحل مين وتعطيل هذا التحالف الإنجليزي الجديد مع الشعوب الأصلية في جنوب مين. سافر حاكم ولاية ماساتشوستس جوزيف دادلي إلى نيو كاسكو في يونيو 1703 في محاولة عبثية لإبعاد الأمريكيين الأصليين عن الحرب. بعد ستة أسابيع ، حاصرت القوات الأمريكية والفرنسية فورت نيو كاسكو. أنقذ وصول سفينة مسلحة من ماساتشوستس الإنجليز المتجمعين داخل حصن نيو كاسكو. عاد السلام في عام 1713 ، ولكن بعد ثلاث سنوات أمرت ماساتشوستس بهدم الحصن. يرمز تدمير حصن نيو كاسكو إلى تخلي ولاية ماساتشوستس عن سياستها التي تسعى إلى صداقة الأمريكيين الأصليين.

طالما كانت فرنسا تسيطر على كندا ، فإن العيش شرق نهر بريشامبسكوت في نيو كاسكو كان اقتراحًا خطيرًا. عاشت عائلة واحدة فقط في المدينة عام 1725. أدى تزايد عدد السكان الإنجليز والهزيمة الفرنسية في حرب الملك جورج (1744-48) إلى نقل الحدود بين الأمريكيين الأصليين والإنجليز شمالًا إلى ميدكوست مين. بحلول عام 1753 ، نمت نيو كاسكو إلى 62 عائلة ، وكانت كبيرة بما يكفي لتشكيل أبرشيتها الخاصة. ومع ذلك ، استمر الأمريكيون الأصليون في استهداف نيو كاسكو ، وشهد ذلك بشكل واضح غارة في عام 1748 وموت المقيم جون برنال في عام 1751.

أدى سقوط مدينة كيبيك في يد البريطانيين عام 1759 إلى إزالة الفرنسيين من أمريكا الشمالية ، وحرمان مجموعات الأمريكيين الأصليين المجاورة من حليف مهم ، وأنهت رسميًا السنوات الـ 130 السابقة من القلق أو الحرب الصريحة في فالماوث. مع عدم قدرة الفرنسيين على توفير الأسلحة للمقاومة الأمريكية الأصلية ، لم يقف الكثير في طريق التوسع الإنجليزي في أراضيهم. كما انخفض عدد السكان المحليين الأمريكيين بشكل كبير بسبب المرض ، حيث يهاجر معظمهم شمالًا وغربًا للانضمام إلى مجتمعات السكان الأصليين الأكبر حيث يظلون اليوم. حددت الفترة الاستعمارية أن سكان فالماوث المستقبليين سيتحدثون الإنجليزية ، وليس الفرنسية أو الألغونكيان.


تاريخ مين اون لاين

صور من جمعية مين التاريخية

لقد عمل عشرات الآلاف من عمال الموانئ ، المعروفين رسميًا باسم عمال الشحن والتفريغ ، على أرصفة الواجهة البحرية لبورتلاند على مدار المائة وخمسين عامًا الماضية.

بدأ العديد من المهاجرين الأيرلنديين ، ومعظمهم من العمال غير المهرة ، بدايتهم الاقتصادية كعمال شحن وتفريغ. وفرت هذه الوظائف الأساس الذي يمكنهم من خلاله بناء مستقبل عائلاتهم في بورتلاند.

كان العمل صعبًا ، والطقس الشتوي غالبًا ما يكون قاسيًا ، والطبيعة غير المستقرة لمشكلة العمل ، مما يمثل تحديات لكل من عمال الشحن والتفريغ وعائلاتهم. لكنها قدمت لهم أيضًا فرصة.

على طول الواجهة البحرية لبورتلاند ، كان يتم تنفيذ الكثير من الأعمال اليدوية الثقيلة في أوائل القرن التاسع عشر من قبل مجتمع أسود صغير ولكنه مهم من عمال الموانئ ، يعيش العديد منهم في قاعدة مونجوي هيل.

جاء بعض هؤلاء العمال إلى بورتلاند باتباع تجارة العسل الأسود من جزر الهند الغربية. من خلال استيراد كميات كبيرة من هذه المادة اللزجة الداكنة ، أصبحت بورتلاند موردًا بارزًا للسكر المكرر ، لا سيما من خلال مصفاة السكر J.B Brown على الواجهة البحرية.

كانت المنتجات الثانوية الأخرى للدبس هي الروم وأشكال الكحول الأخرى المقطرة في مصنع الجعة McGlinchy وغيرها من المؤسسات القانونية وشبه القانونية في جميع أنحاء المدينة.

تغير تاريخ بورتلاند البحري وبروزها التجاري بشكل كبير في عام 1853 عندما تم ربط المدينة بالسكك الحديدية بمونتريال بواسطة سكة حديد المحيط الأطلسي وسانت لورانس (التي عُرفت فيما بعد باسم جراند ترانك).

كان هذا هو حلم جون أ. بور الذي رأى إمكانات بورتلاند كميناء عالمي رئيسي يربط ، عن طريق باخرة المحيط والسكك الحديدية ، أسواق القارة الأمريكية بالمراكز البحرية في أوروبا. اعتقد الفقراء أن بورتلاند يمكن أن تنافس المدن الرئيسية في بحر البلطيق في نهاية المطاف.

كان تطوير بورتلاند كميناء شتوي رئيسي لكندا مهمًا ، على الرغم من أنه لم يرتق أبدًا إلى مستوى رؤية بور للعظمة. كانت السلع الأساسية التي تم تداولها عبر ميناء بورتلاند هي الحبوب الكندية ، خاصة من نوفمبر حتى أبريل عندما تم تجميد نهر سانت لورانس ، مما جعل مونتريال وكيبيك مدينتين غير ساحليتين.

ابتداءً من عام 1853 ، وصلت البواخر الكبيرة إلى بورتلاند مع انتظام متزايد خلال فصل الشتاء ، مما أعطى العمال في الشواطئ الطويلة عملًا ثابتًا وفي النهاية عملًا مربحًا بشكل متزايد. تزامن ربط السكك الحديدية هذا مع وصول هجرة واسعة النطاق من أيرلندا في السنوات التي أعقبت مباشرةً مجاعة البطاطس المدمرة في أواخر أربعينيات القرن التاسع عشر.

على الرغم من أن العديد من المستوطنين الأيرلنديين الأوائل في ولاية ماين قد نشأوا من شمال البلاد ، ومعظمهم من الإسكتلنديين الأيرلنديين المشيخيين من أولستر ، فإن المهاجرين الجدد في عصر المجاعة جاءوا إلى حد كبير من المناطق الغربية الأفقر في أيرلندا. جاء معظم المهاجرين بعد المجاعة إلى بورتلاند من مقاطعة غالواي ، مع تقاليد اللغة الأيرلندية القوية والباقية (الغيلية).

في عملية تعرف باسم & quot ترحيل الهجرة & quot ، وصل أحد أفراد الأسرة ومهد الطريق للآخرين للانضمام ، عادةً عن طريق إرسال & quotmoney من أمريكا & quot للمساعدة في تكلفة المرور على السفن البخارية.

أحد الأماكن التي يمكن أن يجد فيها هؤلاء المهاجرون الأيرلنديون الجدد عملًا في بورتلاند كان على طول الواجهة البحرية. بحلول منتصف القرن التاسع عشر ، كان الأيرلنديون قد شردوا بالفعل عمال الموانئ السود. نظرًا لأن العمل أصبح أكثر انتظامًا وجاذبية ، على الأقل في أشهر الشتاء ، حاول عمال الرصيف الأيرلنديون إضفاء الطابع الرسمي على ظروف عملهم وضمانها. بحلول ستينيات القرن التاسع عشر ، كانت إحدى الجمعيات الأيرلندية طويلة الشواطئ تطالب بأجور أعلى ، خاصة خلال فترات الازدهار حول الحرب الأهلية.

بحلول عام 1880 ، تم دمج هؤلاء العمال الأيرلنديين في الغالب باسم جمعية بورتلاند لونجشوريمن الخيرية (PLSBS). معظم أعضاء الميثاق في PLSBS كانوا إيرلنديين والعديد منهم كانوا في الأساس متحدثين باللغة الأيرلندية - الغيلية. نص أحد اللوائح الداخلية لـ PLSBS على أنه "لا يجوز لأي رجل ملون أن يكون عضوًا في هذا المجتمع".

حدث تحول العمالة البحرية من الأسود إلى الأخضر ولن يكون هناك عودة. لم تكن العنصرية ضد السود فريدة في بورتلاند ، لكنها كانت مثيرة للسخرية نظرًا للتاريخ المبكر للسود على الواجهة البحرية بالإضافة إلى حقيقة أن الأسقف الكاثوليكي لأبرشية بورتلاند في ذلك الوقت ، جيمس أوغسطين هيلي (1875-1900) ، كان نصف أسود ونصف إيرلندي.

تجمع المهاجرون الأيرلنديون في حيين رئيسيين والشوارع التي تربطهم على طول الواجهة البحرية لبورتلاند: الطرف الغربي ، المعروف فيما بعد باسم ركن جورهام ، مع أبرشية سانت دومينيك (أقدم كنيسة كاثوليكية في بورتلاند ، يعود تاريخها إلى عام 1833) والطرف الشرقي ، أفضل المعروفة باسم مونجوي هيل بكاتدرائية الحبل بلا دنس (1866).

الطبيعة الضيقة للحياة في غالواي ، مع الاختلافات الإقليمية التي تعكس على ما يبدو مسافات جغرافية صغيرة ، قد هاجرت سليمة إلى بورتلاند. غالبًا ما كان الأطفال من أحد هذه الأحياء بالكاد يعرفون الشوارع أو سكان الآخر ، على الرغم من أنهم بالكاد كانوا على بعد ميل واحد.

نظرًا لأن العديد من عمال الشحن والتفريغ الأيرلنديين في بورتلاند لديهم ألقاب مماثلة في غالواي ، مثل جويس أو كونولي أو فولان / فولي أو أومالي أو جورهام ، وهي سمة ثقافية شائعة في أيرلندا ، فقد نجا استخدام الألقاب لمن لديهم أسماء عائلية مشتركة في بورتلاند .

عدد قليل من الألقاب ذات الجذور الغيلية هي Bád ní ngean (كرة الغزل) ، Bartla Tadhg (Bartley Timothy) ، Cockaneeney (Cac an éinín ، أو فضلات الطيور) ، Greenhorn geimhridh (مهاجر يصل في الشتاء) ، Paddy na gcnoc (باتريك من التلال) ، و Philipín (الصغير ، أو الشاب ، Philip).

غالبًا ما كانت الأسماء المستعارة الأخرى هزلية ، مثل الرجل المتوسط ​​، والعذراء المباركة ، والأطباق المكسورة ، و Leaky Roof ، و Paper Legs ، و Senator Cleghorn ، و Shaggy Dog ، و Soup Bone ، و Ya-Ya.

كان معظم عمال الشحن والتفريغ من الروم الكاثوليك. كان لكل أسقف منذ إنشاء أبرشية بورتلاند لأول مرة في عام 1855 اسم أيرلندي يمكن تحديده ، مثل بيكون ، وهيلي ، وأوكونيل ، والش ، وموراي ، ومكارثي ، وفيني ، وجيريتي ، وأوليري ، وجيري ، ومالون.

بحلول القرن التاسع عشر ، كان هناك العديد من المنظمات الاجتماعية والثقافية والسياسية الأيرلندية في بورتلاند ، بما في ذلك جمعية بورتلاند لونجشوريمن الخيرية ، التي تم تسجيل ذروة عضويتها في 1،366 في عام 1919.

ولكن بحلول أوائل العشرينات من القرن الماضي ، بدأ انخفاض مستمر في العمل والعضوية. في عشرينيات القرن الماضي ، قامت الحكومة الكندية بتحديث موانئ هاليفاكس ونوفا سكوشا وسانت جون ، نيو برونزويك ، للتعامل مع & quot البضائع الكندية من الموانئ الكندية. & quot ؛ تعامل عمال الشحن والتفريغ الكنديون في هذين الميناءين مع الحبوب التي تم شحنها من بورتلاند لمدة 70 عامًا بين عامي 1853 و 1923.

على الرغم من الانتعاش الإيجابي لفترة وجيزة في الشحن البحري بسبب الحرب العالمية الثانية ، استمرت العمالة البحرية في بورتلاند في الانخفاض. في النهاية ، أصبحت بورتلاند معروفة بشكل أساسي كميناء نفطي ، حيث كان خط أنابيب بورتلاند يتعامل مع شحنات النفط إلى مونتريال. ومع ذلك ، لم يكن النفط كثيف العمالة ، ولم ينجح عمال الشحن والتفريغ في البحث عن سلع لشحنها من ميناء المياه العميقة هذا ، أو عن واردات يمكن تداولها في بورتلاند.

بحلول بداية القرن الحادي والعشرين ، أصبح ميناء بورتلاند موردًا طبيعيًا إلى حد كبير بدون وظيفة محددة بوضوح.


أماكن مهمة في تاريخ بورتلاند الأفريقي الأمريكي

تعمل مجتمعات السود في بورتلاند على تشكيل تاريخ المدينة ومناظرها الطبيعية وهندستها المعمارية منذ تأسيس المدينة. كمدينة ساحلية رئيسية ، كانت بورتلاند في الوقت نفسه محطة على خط السكك الحديدية تحت الأرض وموطنًا لمجتمع مزدهر من السود الأحرار الذين عملوا على الواجهة البحرية أو للسكك الحديدية التجارية. لا يزال عدد قليل من المباني التي تروي قصصهم قائمًا ، في المقام الأول في حي شارع الهند الذي أسسه الأمريكيون الأفارقة الأحرار الذين ازدهروا في الاقتصاد البحري في بورتلاند. هذه المباني واردة أدناه.

تستند الكتابة عن هذه الأماكن التاريخية إلى معلومات من المنشورات التالية. يرجى مراجعة هذه الموارد القيمة لمزيد من القراءة المتعمقة:

في سبتمبر 2017 ، تمت إضافة الموارد الأفريقية الأمريكية للقرن التاسع عشر إلى قائمة الأماكن المعرضة للخطر في معالم بورتلاند الكبرى. تحكي الموارد والمباني التاريخية الباقية قصة المواطنين الأمريكيين من أصل أفريقي الذين ساهموا في تاريخ بورتلاند القوي. كانت ثلاث مناطق في شبه جزيرة المدينة موطنًا تاريخيًا لسكان بورتلاند السود: شارع نيوبري بالقرب من Abyssinian Meeting House ، وشارع Lafayette في Munjoy Hill بالقرب من Mansfield's Livery Stable وفي حي شارع St. رب عمل للعديد من عائلات الأمريكيين من أصل أفريقي في الحي. جميع المجالات الثلاثة المرتبطة تاريخيًا بالمجتمع الأمريكي الأفريقي في بورتلاند إما أنها تعيد تطويرها بسرعة أو أنها جاهزة لإعادة التطوير. في جهود الحفظ حتى الآن ، طغت المباني الأكبر والأكثر تفصيلاً على هذه المساكن المتواضعة والمباني المؤسسية المرتبطة بتاريخ بورتلاند الأسود.

The Abyssinian Meeting House ، 73 شارع نيوبري ، (1828): تم بناء Abyssinian Meeting House في عام 1828 كدار للعبادة ، وهو ثالث أقدم دار اجتماعات أمريكية من أصل أفريقي في الولايات المتحدة ، وله أهمية تاريخية محلية ووطنية. أصبح الحبشي مركز الحياة الاجتماعية والسياسية للجالية الأمريكية الأفريقية في بورتلاند في القرن التاسع عشر. عندما كان الحريق العظيم ينفجر في المدينة ، اجتمع المجتمع الذي اعتمد على الحبشة معًا لتغطية السقف بالبطانيات المبللة وإنقاذه بنجاح من الحريق. كان المبنى بمثابة كنيسة ومدرسة عامة منفصلة ، بالإضافة إلى قاعة للحفلات الموسيقية والعشاء والترفيه. كان من بين أعضائها وخطباءها عبيد سابقون ، وقادة من حركة السكك الحديدية تحت الأرض ، والمدافعين الصريحين عن إلغاء العبودية في الولايات المتحدة. تم إغلاق بيت الاجتماع في عام 1917 ، وتحويله إلى شقق سكنية في عام 1924 ، وأخيراً ، تم التخلي عنه واستلامه من قبل مدينة بورتلاند لدفع الضرائب المتأخرة. في عام 1998 ، اشترت لجنة ترميم الحبشة العقار وبدأت في ترميمه. تواصل اللجنة إحراز تقدم في الترميم بالإضافة إلى زيادة الوعي بهذا المبنى المهم على الصعيد الوطني. لمزيد من المعلومات أو للمشاركة ، قم بزيارة موقع الويب الخاص بهم وتواصل مع اللجنة. لمشاهدة معالم البحر الحبشي اضغط هنا.

أبراهام نايلز هاوس ، 77 شارع نيوبري (سي 1840): تم بناء Abraham Niles House بجوار منزل Abyssinian Meeting ، وهو أيضًا أحد الناجين من الحريق العظيم. كان أبراهام نايلز بحارًا وعضوًا مبكرًا في الكنيسة المجاورة. عاشت عائلة النيلين في المنزل حتى نهاية القرن التاسع عشر.

المدرسة الشمالية ، 248 شارع الكونجرس (1867): بعد الحريق الكبير عام 1866 ، تم بناء المدرسة الشمالية لتعليم جميع أطفال الحي ، بما في ذلك عدد كبير من الأطفال السود الذين يعيشون في حي شارع الهند وفي مونجوي هيل. في حين أن العديد من المعلمين في المدرسة الشمالية كانوا من نسل مهاجرين أيرلنديين ، يُزعم أن أول مدرس للمدرسة السوداء في بورتلاند يدرس في المدرسة الشمالية أيضًا.
انقر للحصول على مزيد من المعلومات حول مدارس بورتلاند التاريخية.

روبن روبي هاوس ، 81 شارع نيوبري (حوالي 1853-56): تم تغيير هذا المبنى ، وفقد الكثير من معالمه التاريخية ، ولكن ليس أهميته التاريخية. كان روبن روبي ، أحد أوائل شاغلي المبنى ، مؤسس جمعية مين المناهضة للعبودية. ولد في جراي بولاية مين ، وكان أول قائد للسكك الحديدية تحت الأرض في بورتلاند وعمل في منشورات مهمة لمكافحة العبودية في بوسطن وماين. كان لديه منصة اختراق ناجحة ، تم تحديد موقعها السابق على Portland Freedom Trail. قام بشراء الأرض والتبرع بها من أجل بيت الاجتماع الحبشي وكذلك قام بتمويل بنائه. كان ابنه ، ويليام ويلبرفورس روبي ، رجل الإطفاء الذي نبه المدينة لأول مرة إلى اندلاع الحريق الكبير عام 1866 وقاد مجتمعه لحماية سقف الحبشة أثناء الحريق. لمزيد من المعلومات حول William Wilberforce Ruby ، ​​اقرأ مقالة Portland Press Herald عن The Great Fire.

مؤتمر المقبرة الشرقية 224 (1668): دفن بعض أفراد عائلة روبي في المقبرة الشرقية. هذه المقبرة هي المثوى الأخير للعديد من أوائل الأمريكيين الأفارقة في بورتلاند. بالقرب من السياج في شارع ماونت فورت يوجد قسم من المقبرة كان مخصصًا في الأصل للسود. في النصف الأول من القرن التاسع عشر الميلادي ، تم دفن العديد من الشخصيات البارزة في حركة مناهضة العبودية في بورتلاند ، من السود والبيض ، في هذه المقبرة. لمزيد من المعلومات حول حياتهم ، اقرأ Portland Freedom Trail أو تواصل مع Spirits Alive ، مجموعة الأصدقاء التي تبحث عن المقبرة الشرقية وترممها وتدافع عنها.

John and Mary Parrs House ، 16 Federal Street (1870): بينما تم تغيير هذا المنزل عدة مرات ، كان آخرها في 2015-16 ، تم بناء الهيكل الأصلي في عام 1870. تعكس عائلة Parrs تاريخ العمل المختلف للعائلات الأمريكية الأفريقية في بورتلاند. كان جون بارز صاحب العديد من المباني في حي شارع الهند وبحارًا. كان ابنه ، براكستون ، بحارًا وبعد ذلك عامل بريد. كانت زوجة ابنه ، أميليا ، طاهية موسمية في Old Orchard Beach وواحدة من أطول المقيمين في Parrs House. كانت في الأصل من جورجيا ولديها نسب عائلية غير واضحة ، وربما ولدت في العبودية.

حي شارع الوادي: بالإضافة إلى حي شارع الهند ، كانت منطقة شارع الوادي موطنًا لجزء كبير من مجتمع السود في بورتلاند. عمل الكثيرون في الحي في محطة الاتحاد (1888-1961) أو في السكك الحديدية المركزية في مين. لقد عملوا كحمالين وطهاة ونوادل طعام في قطارات الركاب ، مثل النوادل ، والعاملين ، و Red Caps ، و bootblacks في المحطة ، أو كرجال تعقب وعبور في قطارات الشحن. العديد من المنازل الموجودة في وادي وشارع احتلتها أسر السود في بورتلاند. التاريخ الأسود المرئي لولاية مين يوفر المزيد من المعلومات حول تاريخ حي شارع الوادي. يعرض الكتاب عائلة كامينغز التي عاشت في هذا الحي وكانت معروفة ، من بين أمور أخرى ، بحياتها المهنية الطويلة والناجحة مع السكك الحديدية ، بدءًا من ثلاثة أشقاء في مطلع القرن ، إيدي وتيت وليزلي كامينغز. لا يزال أطفالهم وأحفادهم يحتلون مكانة بارزة في ولاية ماين كقادة في السياسة والحقوق المدنية والدعوة لمعالم التاريخ الأسود ، بما في ذلك Abyssinian Meeting House.


محفوظة تاريخية

في عام 1990 ، تبنت مدينة بورتلاند مرسومًا تاريخيًا للحفظ للاعتراف بأحد الأصول الرئيسية في بورتلاند والحفاظ عليه - مجموعتها الغنية من الهندسة المعمارية والمناظر الطبيعية التاريخية. يحمي القانون ما يقرب من 2000 عقار في جميع أنحاء المدينة ، في أحياء متنوعة مثل الميناء القديم وسترودواتر وشارع الكونغرس وويست إند وفورت ماكينلي في جزيرة جريت دايموند.

القصد من المرسوم ليس ل يحول دون التغيير ، ولكن بشكل مدروس إدارته ، حتى يتم الاحتفاظ بالطابع الفريد لهذه المناطق التاريخية. الخصائص المحددة محمية من الهدم وتتم مراجعة التعديلات أو الإضافات المقترحة لضمان التوافق مع التصميم الأصلي للعقار. تتم أيضًا مراجعة الإنشاءات الجديدة داخل المناطق التاريخية المحددة لضمان وجود علاقة محترمة بين القديم والجديد.

اليوم ، تأثير المرسوم واضح: الحفاظ على الموارد التاريخية يعمل على استقرار الأحياء ويجعله منطقيًا من الناحية الاقتصادية. يكشف السير أو القيادة عبر أي من المناطق التاريخية الإحدى عشرة في بورتلاند عن تغييرات مثيرة ، حيث يتم إعادة تأهيل المزيد والمزيد من المباني القديمة بعناية وفقًا لمعايير الحفظ التاريخية ويتم استيعاب المباني الجديدة المتوافقة في هذا المزيج.

في حي باركسايد ، على سبيل المثال ، على امتداد الشوارع التي اتسمت في السابق بتدهور المساكن وملكية الغائبين ، توجد الآن منازل تم تجديدها مع أصحابها الذين يفخرون بممتلكاتهم وأحيائهم. على طول الشارع التجاري ، اتخذت العمارة الجديدة والمثيرة مكانها بجانب مستودعات القرن التاسع عشر التي تم ترميمها ، مما يثبت أن المباني الجديدة يمكن أن تكون معاصرة ومتوافقة مع الهياكل التاريخية. في جميع أنحاء نظام المتنزهات التاريخية بالمدينة ، يتم تطوير الخطط الرئيسية لضمان أن التحسينات المستقبلية تحترم التصاميم الأصلية للمنتزهات. تم تسهيل كل هذه المشاريع من خلال برنامج الحفاظ التاريخي للمدينة.

يعتمد نجاح هذا البرنامج المهم على دعم وتعاون مالكي العقارات التاريخية في بورتلاند. قبل الشروع في مشروع سيؤثر على السطح الخارجي للمبنى الخاص بك أو المنطقة المحيطة به ، يرجى قراءة المعلومات الواردة في هذا الموقع والاتصال بموظفي الحفظ التاريخي في إدارة التخطيط والتطوير لمناقشة خططك. إنهم على استعداد لمساعدتك في إيجاد حلول عملية وبأسعار معقولة تلبي احتياجاتك ومعايير القانون.


تاريخ بورتلاند ، مين - التاريخ

تاريخ بورتلاند بولاية مين
من عند
معجم
ولاية مين

بواسطة جيو. جيه فارني
تم النشر بواسطة B. B. Russell، 57 Cornhill،
بوسطن 1886

تحتل بورتلاند ، المشهورة بمرافقها التجارية ، لصحة وضعها وجمالها ، وللمؤسسة والحياة الحضرية لمواطنيها ، الميناء الرئيسي على خليج كاسكو ، في الجزء الجنوبي من مقاطعة كمبرلاند. نظرًا لكونه أقرب ميناء على ساحل المحيط الأطلسي إلى مدن سانت لورانس ، ولديه ميناء آمن ومناسب لأكبر السفن البخارية في المحيط ، ومفتوحًا في جميع الفصول ، فقد أصبح بطبيعة الحال الميناء البحري الرئيسي لكندا ، أيضًا اعتبارًا من ولاية ويسترن مين والأجزاء الشمالية من نيو هامبشاير وفيرمونت. من المدينة ، ننتقل إلى بوسطن وماين ، والسكك الحديدية الشرقية وبورتلاند وروتشستر ، عابرةً مراكز الأعمال في نيو هامبشاير وماساتشوستس ، وتتصل بالطرق المؤدية إلى جميع أنحاء القارة. ينحدر Grand Trunk of the Atlantic و St. Lawrence Railroad عبر الأجزاء الشمالية من Vermont و New Hampshire إلى أرصفة السفن البخارية في المحيط في ميناء بورتلاند. سكة حديد بورتلاند وأوغدينسبيرغ ، انتهت. وادي ساكو ، الذي يخيط الجبال البيضاء ، عن طريق سانت جونزبري ، فاتو ، ومن هناك إلى سفح بحيرة شامبلين ، سيوفر طريقًا أقصر إلى كندا والغرب العظيم. يتصل Maine Central بفروعه بالمنطقة الوسطى للولاية من Penobscot تقريبًا إلى بحيرات Rangely في Bangor ، وهو يتصل بخط سكة حديد Piscataquis ، وعن طريق السكك الحديدية في أوروبا وأمريكا الشمالية ، مع أنظمة New Brunswick و Nova Scotia . كل هذه الخطوط موصولة في المدينة بواسطة السكك الحديدية الهامشية. بالإضافة إلى مرافق السكك الحديدية ، توفر خطوط القوارب البخارية النقل المائي كل ثلاثة أسبوعيًا إلى نيويورك ، يوميًا إلى بوسطن ، ثلاث مرات في الأسبوع إلى بانجور والموانئ الوسيطة ، أسبوعيًا إلى ماونت ديزرت ومكياس ، ونصف أسبوعيًا إلى إيستبورت وسانت جون ، ملحوظة ، ونصف أسبوعي لهاليفاكس ، NS ، مباشر. ينطلق خط Allan من البواخر أسبوعيا بين بورتلاند وليفربول ، من نوفمبر إلى مايو ، مما يوفر تسهيلات كبيرة للاستيراد والتصدير.

يتم إنتاج معظم المصنوعات الرائدة في المدينة أو في المناطق المجاورة لها ، وكثير منها بكميات كبيرة وبتميز ممتاز.

متوسط ​​مبلغ الرسوم المحصلة في دار الجمارك في بورتلاند لبعض السنوات الماضية ليس بعيدًا عن 900 ألف دولار.

من المحتمل أن تكون الصناعات الخاصة التي تتفوق فيها بورتلاند على جميع المدن الأخرى هي الصناعات ذات الأحكام محكمة الإغلاق ومصايد الأسماك ، والحفاظ على الأسماك بأشكال مختلفة.

في تجارة الأسماك ، تعمل حوالي 12 شركة في تعبئة الماكريل والرنجة. قامت هذه الشركات خلال موسم 1880 بتعبئة ما مجموعه 80500 برميل من الماكريل و 13300 برميل من الرنجة. القيمة السوقية لهؤلاء أقل قليلاً من 500000 دولار. يبلغ عدد السفن العاملة في صيد الإسقمري 162 سفينة تعمل في صيد سمك الرنجة ، 75 منها ما مجموعه 237 سفينة ، وعدد طواقمها 3345. هذا لا يشمل العاملين في تعبئة الأسماك. تعمل نصف دزينة من الشركات الأخرى في علاج سمك القد والأسماك الأخرى. الثلاثة الذين يقومون بأكبر نشاط تجاري في هؤلاء ، عولجوا في الموسم المنتهي في منتصف أكتوبر 1880 ، 50000 قنطار. يتم المعالجة في الجزر الموجودة في المرفأ. تم استخدام House Island لهذا الغرض منذ أكثر من 200 عام.

Portland is the smallest town in the State ia superficial area. A small peninsula jutting into the inner waters of Casco Bay, and 16 islands and parts of islands, lying at distances of from 3 to 10 miles down the bay constitute the territory of the city. This peninsula, or Neck, was called Machigonne by the Indians, which according to some means bad clay while others contend that its interpretation should be knee or elbow,-descriptive of the curving form of the peninsula. The names of the islands are Peak's, Long, Cushing's, House, Great and Little Diamond (or Hog), part of Crotch, part of Hope, Little Chebeague, Jewell's, Cow, Rain, Marsh, Overset, Crow, and Pumpkin Knob. Several of these islands are very picturesque and attractive, and 4 or 5 have hotels. The peninsula is about 3 miles long, with an average breadth of three-fourths of a mile. On the southerly side lies Cape Elizabeth, separated from Portland by an arm of the sea called Fore River, which constitutes the inner harbor. On the northerly side, is Back Cove and beyond is Peering. The peninsula has a mean elevation at the middle of more than 100 feet,-sloping gradually to the water on either side, except at the eastern and western extremities,-which rise in Munjoy's Hill at the east to the height of 161 feet and at the west, in Bramhall's Hill, to 175 feet,-ending here in a bold bluff. Munjoy's Hill affords delightful views of the waters of Casco Bay and its numerous islands, and of the ocean beyond. Bramhall commands a sea view, and a broad landscape of farm, forest and village, and beyond all, the great semicircle of the mountains. This configuration of the peninsula gives excellent drainage, while from its altitude it is bathed in the pure breezes from sea and shore, rendering it one of the most healthy cities on the globe. From end to end of the peninsula runs Congress street, the backbone of the city, 3 miles in length. Parallel with this on the east for a part of its length, are, first, Middle street, devoted chiefly to the dry goods trade second, Fore street, miscellaneous trade andthird, Commercial street, fronting the harbor, and occupied largely by wholesale traders in heavy goods of all sorts. On the western side, the streets are Cumberland second, Oxford and Portland third, Lincoln and Kennebec,-the last two running along the margin of Back Cove. The whole peninsula has above 226 streets, lanes and courts, aggregating a length of 48 miles while 29 wharves extend into the harbor, affording accommodation to vessels of every size and kind. Besides the lines of steam railways, already enumerated, there are 6 avenues for teams and foot passengers. There is also projected and partly built, a Marginal Way, 100 feet in width, running entirely around the city. Horse cars furnish easy transit between the depots of the different lines of steam cars, and the principal streets connecting also with the suburban villages of Deering Point, Woodford's Corner, and Morrill's Corner. The business of the city centres on the southerly slope below Congress street, near the middle of the peninsula. Munjoy's Hill is almost a village by itself of middle class residences, having its own churches, schools and shops. The northerly slope, back of Congress street, along its whole length, is devoted to private residences. The western end, rising gradually to the eminence of Bramhall, is the fashionable quarter and, having been spared by the great fire of 1866, now contains the oldest mansions, as well as many new and elegant edifices. A marked feature of Bramhall is the well-kept gardens and lawn surrounding the houses, and generally open to public view through open fences, or over low hedges, or guards of stone.

The slope under Bramhall toward Peering's Oaks, is now, also, becoming an inhabited place, and many handsome residences are already erected.

Portland has several excellent hotels,-the Falmouth, situated on Middle Street, being the largest. It is a magnificent structure containing 240 rooms, and 10 large stores. Its front is of Albert-stone, and its sile walls of pressed brick, with Albert-stone trimmings. The building of the first National Bank, near by, is a fine building of red-sandstone. A little farther down is the fine granite front of the Casco Bank building. The Maine Savings Bank has its rooms on the corner of Plum street. Over it is the St. Julian Hotel, a neat little house conducted on the European plan. A short distance beyond is the handsome red-freestone building of the Canal Bank. The oldest of the public houses of the city, recently enlarged and brought up to the requirement of the times, is the United States Hotel, on the eastern side of Market square, and occupying the space between Federal and Congress streets. In Stanton Block, on Exchange street, the Board of Trade has its head-quarters and here, also, is the Merchants' Exchange, with its reading-room. Close by is the elegant building of the Merchants' Bank. On the corner of Middle and Exchange streets is the Post-Office, an elegant building of Vermont marble, occupying a square by itself. Among its red brick neighbors, its chaste white walls and elegant architecture give it a somewhat ethereal look. Its cost was half a million of dollars. In the second story is the United States Court room and offices. A little further up on the same Street, is the fine block of the Portland Saving's Bank,-then the Printer's Exchange, where several papers are issued. On Congress street, at the head of Exchange, is the City Government Building, an imposing structure, having a frontage of 150 feet, a length of 221 feet, with corner towers 75 feet high, and a central dome tLat swells upward 160 feet. Its front is of a light-colored Nova Scotia Albert-stone, and the sides and rear of pressed brick with Albert-stone trimmings. Its cost was $650,000. In it, besides city and county rooms and offices, are the Public Library, containing 26,000 volumes, and the library of the Maine Historical Society. There are also two excellent halls in the building, the largest of which, an elegant apartment, will conveniently seat 2,500 people.

At the foot of Hancock street on the corner of Fore street, stands "the old square wooden house upon the edge of the sea," in which the poet Longfellow was born. Turning to Commercial street, a short walk brings us to the Custom house, a handsome structure of granite,-which also has a front on Fore street. On the opposite side of Commercial street, not far away, is the extensive and massive "Thomas Block," built by Hon. William W Thomas, one of the oldest and most successful merchants of Portland,-who has added beauty and value to the city by the erection of many elegant buildings.

The site of the first settlement in Portland is now occupied by the depot, the immense elevator, and other buildings of the Grand Trunk Railway. The settlers were George Cleeves and Richard Tucker, who here built their house, cleared land, and planted the first corn-in 1632. They were squatters at first but in 1637, Cleeves went to England and obtained from Sir Ferdinand Gorges, proprietor of this region, a grant of the peninsula on which they had built, and other neighboring lands and islands. These he parcelled out to settlers, and a small community soon grew up, and became known as Casco. Fishing, cultivation of the soil, and trade with the Indians, formed the business. in 1658, Massachusetts usurped the government of Gorges' territory, and applied the name Falmouth to Casco Neck, and a wide extent of territory about this harbor but the peninsula continued to be called Casco Neck until its incorporation as Portland in 1786. Falmouth at first embraced, in addition to the Neck, the territory now belonging to the towns of Cape Elizabeth, Peering, Westbrook and the present Falmouth. With incorporation came the settlement of a minister, and the people built the first meeting-house on the point now occupied by the Portland Company's works. The first minister was Rev. George Burroughs, a graduate of Harvard University, who began to preach there in 1674. When the town was destroye d by the Indians in 1690, he went to Danvers and two years afterwardhe was executed at Salem as a wizard. When the savages fell upon the place in 1676, of the 40 families in town, only four or five lived upon the Neck. In 1678 old settlers returned and Fort Loyal, the largest fortification on the coast, was erected on a rocky eminence where the round-house of the Grand Trunk Railway now stands. A party of Huguenots, or French Protestants, came in as settlers about this time. The town now began to prosper,-mills were set up, and roads were laid out,-mere footpaths, however, as no vehicles had yet been introduced. In 1681, the first tavern was opened. In 1688, the population of Falmouth had increased to 600 or 700, comprising 80 families, 25 of whom were on the Neck. In 1689, during the second Indian war, a large body of their warriors approached the town. Major Church, arriving with two companies just at the nick of time, met the Indians in the valley on the north side of Bramhall's Hill, and, after a sharp fight, drove them off losing in the contest eleven killed and ten wounded. The next year, 500 French and Indians, after a siege of five days, captured the fort, and carried the garrison captive to Canada.

From this time until after the close of Queen Anne's war in 1713, the place remained "deserted Casco." With its settlement in 1715, begins the second period of its history, which ends with its destruction by Mowatt in 1775. The new settlement was on nearly the same site as the old. In 1727, Rev. Thomas Smith commenced in the place his long ministry of over sixty-eight years.

In the course of half a century a great trade with the West Indies, as well as with England, sprang up so that on Nov. 1, 1766, six large ships were lying in the harbor. At the commencement of the Revolution, 2,555 tons of shipping were owned in what is now Portland: and the population was about 2,000. Its patriotism was then as prompt as has ever since been. No vantage was allowed for the enforeement of the Stamp Act the hated stamps being seized and burned as soon as they arrived and when the tax was placed upon tea, a popular assemblage resolved "that we will not buy nor sell any India tea whatever" and when the British government closed the port of Boston in 1774, the bell of Falmouth meeting-house was muffled and tolled from sunrise to sunset. Incensed by his capture and detention here in the previous spring by a party of militia from Brunswick, Capt. Henry Mowatt, in October, 1775, entered the harbor with a fleet of five war vessels, and on the 18th of that month, laid the town in ashes. The citizens nobly refused to give up their arms to secure the immunity of their village, but mostly fled into the country, taking with them what they could carry of there goods. Out of 514 buildings, only 100 dwelling-houses were left standing. Thus for the third time, the town was desolated. With the acknowledgment of our independence as a nation, a period of prosperity again began. There were not only business but social changes. "Distinctions of rank and of dress," says Elwell, "gave way before the democratic spirit of the times cocked hats, bush wigs, and breeches passed out, and pantaloons came in. Capt. Joseph Titcomb created quite a sensation when he returned home from the South, in 1790, wearing the latter form of the nether garment, the first seen here." In 1785, the first brick house in town was commenced, and the first newspaper appeared, the "Falmouth Gazette," published by Benjamin Titcomb and Thomas B. Waite. The same author previously quoted says, "In 1786, the town was divided, and the Neck, with the name of Portland, started on an independent career, with a population of about 2,000. In 1793, wharves were extended into the harbor. In 1795, Nathaniel Peering built the first brick store. In 1799, the first bank was incorporated. Trade advanced westward from the old site at the foot of India street, and in 1800, Exchange (then called Fish) street was the principal seat of business." Then the wealthier merchants began to build them more stately residences, fitted to the increasing refinement and the more lavish expenditure. Such are the Matthew Cobb house, still standing at the corner of High and Free streets the mansion built by Ebenezer Storer, on the corner of High and Danforth street that built by Joseph H. Ingraharn, on State street and the fine old mansion on the corner of High and Spring streets, long the residence of the late General Wingate all giving evidence of the architectural taste and thorough workmanship of the olden time.


The non-intercourse policy adopted by the general government in 1806, and the embargo which followed in 1807, brought a disastrous and sudden check to all this prosperity. "Navigation fell off 9,000 tons in two years and all the various classes to whom it gave support were thrown out of employment eleven commercial houses stopped payment in 1807, and many others the following year. * * * In the war of 1812, which followed, our sea-faring people manned the privateers fitted out here, some of which ran a successful career, and did great damage to the enemy, while others were soon captured by superior force, and their crews held as prisoners."

The fourth period in the history of Portland begins with the peace of 1815, and continues to the commencement of the railroad era in 1846. This was a period of slow recovery from the disasters of the war. In March 1820 the district of Maine was separated from Massachusetts and admitted into the Union as a State, and Portland became its capital. In 1823, the first steamer ever brought to Maine arrived in the harbor. This was the Patent, a vessel of about 100 tons burthen, owned by Capt. Seward Porter, of this city, who had bought her in New York to run as a passenger-boat between Boston and Portland.
Both Jonathan Morgan and Captain Porter had previously expert. mented with steamboats of their own construction the Kennebec, built by the latter in 1822, having been the first to run in Casco Bay. In 1833, the steamer Chancellor Livingston, built under the direction of Robert Fulton, ran between Portland and Boston and the Cumberland Steam Navigation Company, formed in the same year, put the steamer Commodore MeDonough on the route in opposition. The Cumberland and Oxford Canal connecting the waters of Lake Sebago with Portland Harbor, was begun in 1828, completed in 1830, at a cost of $206,000. This helped the business of the town somewhat yet the steamboats and the Portland, Saco and Portsmouth Railroad, opened in 1842, took much Portland business to Boston. A new railroad connecting with Boston diverted also to that city the trade of northern Vermont, which had previously come through the north of the White Mountains to Portland. The fifth period commenced with the opening of the Atlantic and St. Lawrence Railroad to Canada, in 1853. To aid in its construction, Portland loaned its credit in bonds to the amount of $2,000,000. This Grand Trunk road brought the city in connection not only with the cities of Canada, but with the vast graingrowing regions of the West. Then came, as necessary adjuncts of the road, a winter line of steamers to Liverpool, and the construction of a new business avenue along the whole water front of the city, a mile long and 100 feet wide, running over tide water, across the heads of wharves. This is Commercial street, the scene of a large wholesale trade in flour, grain and groceries. Then came the building of the system of railroads, now consolidated under the name of the Maine Central, opening to the trade of Portland all parts of the State, and the Lower Provinces of Canada. Then Brown's Sugar House and the Portland Company's Works, and other Manufacturing establishments sprang up, giving employment to hundreds of people.

The financial panic of 1857-8 brought no serious disaster to the business of the city and trade had again attained to a flourishing condition, when the war of the Slaveholder's Rebellion broke out. Portland, as usual, was prompt to the demands of patriotism,-six companies of the First Maine regiment, Colonel Jackson, having been raised here. Later regiments organized in Portland were the 5th, 9th, 10th, 12th, 13th, 17th, and 25th. The latter was a nine-months regiment of Portland boys, led by Col. Francis Fessenden. In all, Portland contributed to the army and navy of the Union during the war, 5,000 men to whom she paid a bounty of $428,970. Of these, 421 lost their lives in battle, or by disease. Her citizens also contributed largely in aid of the sanitary and Christian commissions, and many of her noble women gave their services in nursing the sick and wounded.

One morning in June, 1863, the United States Revenue cutter Caleb Cushing, was missed from her moorings, and Revenue collector Jewett and Mayor MeLellan, promptly manning and arming the steamers Forest City and Chesapeake, found her in the hands of the rebels, becalmed near Green Islands. On discovering the approaching vessels, her captors set her on fire, and took to their boats. She presently blew up and the rebel crew were soon captured by the pursuing steamers, and lodged in Fort Preble, as prisoners of war. During the war, much shipping of Portland had been transferred to the British flag but the business of the city did not otherwise suffer much loss.

On the 4th of July, 1866, a carelessly thrown cracker set fire to a boat-builder's shop on Commercial street, whence the flames were soon communicated to Brown's Sugar House whence it swept on diagonally through the city, spreading like a fan as it went. Entire streets were swept away, includeing massive warehouses, lofty churches, splendid mansions, ancestral houses and the dwellings of the poor, in the oldest and most crowded parts of the city in one common ruin. For nearly half a day, and through the night until the small hours of the morning, the vast volumes of flame and smoke held sway, sending terror and anguish among the whole population. The fire ended near Munjoy's Hill. The morning saw fifteen hundred buildings laid in ashes fifty-eight streets and courts reduced to a wilderness of chimneys, amid which the most familiar inhabitant lost himself ten thousand people made homeless, and ten millions of property destroyed. Villages of tents and barracks sprang up on Munjoy, and generous contributions from abroad flowed in, providing food, shelter and clothing for the penniless.

In rebuilding, old streets were widened and straightened, and new ones opened and, after a lapse of ten years, the waste places were almost wholly rebuilt, far more roomy, convenient and handsome than before. Meantime the increase of the business facilities of the city went on. In 1873, the Boston and Maine Railroad was extended from South Berwick to Portland, taking on its way Old Orchard Beach. In 1875, the Portland and Rochester Railroad completed its connections with Nashua, N. H., and Worcester, Mass. The same year, the Portland and Ogdensburg Railroad was completed through the Notch of the White Mountains. In the same period, various manufactures sprang up within the city or in its vicinity, as the rolling of railroad iron, the making of carriages, shoes, matches, stoneware, and drainpipes and these products find a market all over the United States, and, to some extent, in foreign countries. In 1870, Lake Sebago water was introduced by aqueduct all through the city, and the sewerage rendered more complete. Broad and regular streets, handsome and substantial business blocks, elegant and commodious dwellings, good drainage well-lighted streets, pure water, excellent air, convenient conveyance in and out of the city, by horse and steam cars,-numerous shadetrees, unsurpassed views of sea and shore, good schools, well-attended churches, and a moral, industrious, enterprising and courteous people- these render Portland one of the most desirable of cities for a home and business. There are now living in the city a large number of persons over eighty years of age.

Among those who have contributed largely to make Portland what it is in these various respects, must be mentioned the following names: George Cleeves, a first settler and proprietor, and Rev. Thomas Smith, the first have already been mentioned. Not only was Mr. Smith for a long period, the only minister, hut also the only physician in town. Another distinguished citizen of the anti-Revolutionary period was General Jedediah Preble, who had served in the French wars, and at the breaking out of the Revolution, was prevented from being the principal military officer of Massachusetts only by the infirmities of years. Worthy of honorable mention, also, are Theophilus Bradbury and David Wyer, earliest members of Cumberland bar. Samuel Freeman, school-teacher, trader, and Revolutionary patriot, a deacon of the First Parish forty-five years, delegate to the Provincial Congress, Judge of Probate forty-five years, post-master twenty-eight years, president of the Maine Bank and president of Bowdoin College for a number of years, with other offices also the publisher of several law-books. About 1770, Theophilus Parsons, afterwards Chief Justice of Massachusetts, became a citizen, studied law, and was admitted to the Cumberland bar. Sheriff William Tyng, most prominent of the Maine Tories, was also a citizen of this town. A little later was Simon Greenleaf, distinguished as a member of the Cumberland bar, a learned jurist and writer on law Stephen Longfellow, father of the poet, long in the successful practice of the law in the Cumberland courts Prentiss Mellen, chief justice of the State Ezekiel Whitman, member of Congress for four terms, and chief justice of the Supreme Court of Maine Samuel Fessenden, the able lawyer, orator and philanthropist Albion K. Parris, Governor of the State at the age of thirty-three years, and long in successful practice here William Pitt Preble, a judge and Minister to the Netherlands Arthur Ware, a learned writer on Maritime law, and judge of the United States District Court for forty-four years Ether Shepley, long chief justice of the State George F. Shepley, son of Ether, a brave soldier, and later, judge of the United States Circuit Court, who died a few years after his father. Of orators and statesmen of national reputation, Sargent S. Prentiss though he won his reputation in the south-was born here and William Pitt Fessenden, the distinguished U. S. senator and secretary of the Treasury, was always a citizen of this town, lion. George Evans, another U. S. senator from Maine, was for some time a resident, as was also Hon. George T. Davis, a former member of Congress from Massachusetts, and Hon. Horatio King, acting Postmaster General for sometime. Other noted citizens were Commodore Edward Preble, hero of Tripoli Rear Admiral Alden, who served in the war of 1812, and in the Mexican war and Commodore George H. Preble, who has served long and well. Of literary men who were sons or residents, or both, are Henry W. Longfellow, N. P. Willis, John Neal, Nathaniel Peering, Isaac McLellan, Grenville Mellen, Bishop Horatio Southgate, S. B. Beckett, D. C. Colesworthy, Mrs. E. Oakes Smith, Mrs. Elizabeth Akers Allen, J. H. Ingraham, Seba Smith, Charles P. Ilsley, Rev. Elijah Kellogg, George Payson, William Law Symonds, Sarah Payson Willis (Fanny Fern), Mrs. Samuel Coleman, Mrs. Ann S. Stephens, Mrs. Elizabeth (Payson) Prentice, Mrs. Clara Barnes Martin, Mrs. Margaret J. M. Sweat, Prof. Edward S. Morse, Mrs. Abba Goold Woolson, Rev. Dr. Cyrus Bartol, Rev. Dr. J. W. Chickering, Rev. Dr. Samuel Deane, Rev. Dr. Thomas Hill, Rev. Dr. Ichabod Nichols, Rev. Dr. Edward Payson, Rev. Asa Cummings, Rev. W. T. Dwight, Rev. William B. Hayden, Rev. Jason Whitman, Dr. J. W. Mighells, Dr. Isaac Ray, Hon. William Goold, Hon. William Willis, Col. Z. A. Smith, Henry A. S. Dearborn, John A. Poor, William B. Sewall, Walter Wells, and many others. Of artists, Portland has been the residence of Charles Codman, Charles O. Cole, J. R. Tilton, Mrs. Elizabeth Murray, Charles E. Becket, J. G. Cloudman, Harry B. Brown, Frederick Kimball, Miss Maria Becket, John B. Hudson, Charles J. Schumacher, and others. Eminent names among Portland merchants who have passed away, are Matthew Cobb, Asa Clapp, William Chadwick, Albert Newhall, Joseph Cross, Ralph Cross, Arthur McLellan, James Peering, Benjamin Willis, Samuel Trask, Reuben Morton3 and. John B. Brown. [See notice of latter on page 611.]

Portland has eighteen church-edifices, including the cathedrals of the Episcopal and Roman Catholic denominations. There are also as many as twenty-five societies more or less benevolent in their objects, besides several others of an intellectual and social nature.

Portland has six National Banks, with an aggregate capital of $3,150,000. They are the First National Bank, and Casco National Bank, each with a capital of $800,000 Canal National Bank, having a capital of $600,000 Merchants' National Bank and National Trader's Bank, each having a capital of $300,000 and the Cumberland National Bank, with a capital of $250,000. The Maine Savings Bank, in Portland, on the 1st of November, 1880, held in deposits and profits, the sum of $3,181,195.45 and the Portland Savings Bank, at the same date, held $4,480,770.32.

Portland has three daily papers, all well sustained. The Argus-ancient and respectable, and always fresh, bright, readable and democratic the Press, a reliable Republican sheet, always elegant and honorable the Advertiser, the oldest daily paper in the city, but at present, the most concise Republican in politics, but independent in its views. The Portland Sunday Times, is a lively secular weekly, devoted largely to social matters. It is independent in politics. The Morning News is a spirited journal, devoted to reform It is Greenback in politics, but generally independent in its views. Zion's Advocate, an organ of the Baptists, is an excellent denominational paper. The Christian Mirror, the organ of the Congregationalists in Maine, is ably edited, and wholly worthy of its patronage. The Portland Transcript, known to every Maine family, is unsurpassed in its field by any newspaper in the country. The North-East, published monthly, is the organ of the Episcopal church in Maine. The Masonic Token, issued quarterly, by Stephen Berry, is devoted to masonry, and would consequently be very useful to every member of that order. The Helping Hand, a monthly, Published by the Young Men's Christian Association, is well adapted to a worthy purpose. Our Home and Fireside Magazine, published monthly and Saturday by H. Hal-. lett & Co., is devoted almost wholly to stories. The People's Illustrated Journal and The Illustrated Household Magazine, published monthly, by Geo. Stinson & Co., are of the same class and of equal rank. The Globe, published every Saturday, is devoted to local news. The Portland Price Current, issued every Saturday, by M. N. Rich, is a sine qua non to the merchants of the city and its neighborhood. The City Item is a lively little daily, devoted to news. It is Greenback in its politics. The Floral Monthly, issued by W. E. Morton & Co., is a very desirable publication to all cultivators of flowers.


Museums & Historic Sites

History comes alive in Greater Portland—where everything from colonial homes to maritime museums are on display. Museum homes invite visitors to step back in time and gain a greater perspective and respect for the historic forces that continue to influence our lives.

Variety of interactive exhibits & activities for children and families inspiring discovery and imagination.

A popular destination for visitors from all over the world. Gardens open year-round. Cafe & Shop open seasonally.

Hear the mysterious, amazing and amusing inside stories as you explore history and architectural treasures.

Travel back in time to vintage Vacationland. Group tours welcome and available any day by reservation.

Offers a nationally recognized collection of American art in its elegantly appointed galleries in beautiful Rockland.

Tour a former United States military fort built from 1858 to 1864. The fort is now a park, accessible only by boat.

Features innovative exhibitions and public programs that showcase new perspectives and trends in contemporary art.

3rd oldest historical society in U.S. comprised of the Longfellow House, the Brown Library, the Museum & Shop.

Beautiful historic building completed in 1892. Genealogy Research, Library, Heritage Trail, Museum and Archives.

Exhibits, lighthouse & nature cruises, kids' pirate ship, demos, family activities, hands-on fun for everyone.

Scenic train ride along beautiful Casco Bay. Activities, historic railroad cars & exhibits.

Located in the lighthouse keepers' quarters, the museum chronicles the oldest lighthouse in Maine.

Features an operating collection of antique aircraft, automobiles, airplane shows, and more.

The PMA boasts significant holdings of American, European, and contemporary art, as well as iconic works from Maine.

Experience a connection to the past by visiting the world's oldest and largest museum of public transportation.

Explore galaxies, atoms, cells & the sea in our subterranean star dome. We offer shows, classes, & more.

Dedicated to the preservation of Portland’s Eastern Cemetery through activities like walking tours and ongoing education.

This Georgian house connects people to colonial roots and helps discover the relevance of history to our lives.

One of the country's historic homes of the mid-Victorian period, open May through October for tours.


Historic Homes

Those interested in a glimpse of the striking interiors and fine architecture of Greater Portland’s historic homes will find them walking the city’s residential streets, in the Victorian district of the restored commercial buildings in the Old Port, and in the adjacent neighborhoods.

Our region prides itself on constant attention to landmark preservation and revitalization. This deeply-rooted community appreciation of our heritage and historical sites has made the region a destination for both advanced and passive history sightseers.

historical homes have been preserved and have opened their doors to visitors wanting a more intimate view of the lives and living spaces of a bygone age.

Historic Home, Photo Credit: Corey Templeton

Visitors will discover the wonders of a colonial times in a captain’s home – the only pre-Revolutionary home in the city, enjoy guided tours of the home of poet Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, and enter into the grandeur of the mid-Victorian period by touring a downtown mansion, filled with original furnishings and exquisitely decorated during the holiday season.

Want to find more historic homes and sites in the area? Check out our list below


History of Old Port along Waterfront in Portland, Maine

The Abenaki Native Americans lived here for millenniums before Portuguese explorer Estêvão Gomez’s discovery in 1524. The next European visitor was Englishman Captain John Smith in 1614. The first of several attempts at settlement began in 1623. In 1786, the town of Portland was established. A key to growth was maritime trade because this is the closest U.S. port to Europe. The harbor’s success accelerated in 1820 when the city became the capital of the new state of Maine. A further boom occurred after 1853. That is when a railroad was connected to Montreal. Portland rapidly became the winter port serving Canada when other harbors in Atlantic Canada and the St. Lawrence River were icebound. After the 1920s, shipments at the wharfs declined and the area deteriorated. In the 1980s, a rebirth began along the waterfront and the Old Port neighborhood. That is what you are experiencing today: a blend of the historic and the new all facing Portland’s Harbor. Most of the vessels you will see are cruise ships, sightseeing tours and lobster boats like those shown here.

86 Commercial St, Portland, ME 04101

Welcome! Encircle Photos is your free travel resource for finding top places to see worldwide. This visual library includes travel guides showing major landmarks with descriptions, maps and addresses. Also explore the world daily with free emails and on Facebook. They feature a different city a week with one photo a day. Let travel photographer Dick Ebert show you the world!


Learn about our contributing partners, and how to become one.

Copyright ©2000-2021 Maine Historical Society, All Rights Reserved.

Many images on this website are for sale on VintageMaineImages.com.

Maine Memory Network is a project of the Maine Historical Society. Except for classroom educational use, images and content may not be reproduced without permission. See Terms of Use.


ملحوظات

Addeddate 2014-12-16 13:36:35.586128 Bookplateleaf 0005 Call number 31833011876254 Camera Canon EOS 5D Mark II External-identifier urn:oclc:record:1046523209 Foldout_seconds 770 Foldoutcount 4 Identifier historyofportlan1632will Identifier-ark ark:/13960/t3rv3m58r Invoice 11 Lccn a 14002451 Ocr ABBYY FineReader 9.0 Page-progression lr Pages 966 Ppi 500 Scandate 20141218142730 Scanner scribe2.indiana.archive.org Scanningcenter indiana


شاهد الفيديو: هوامش. تاريخ الولايات المتحدة -20- المستعمرات الشمالية. (شهر اكتوبر 2021).